Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on November 25, 2007
This series has a great variety of challenging crossword puzzles. Perfect for killing time on a Sunday afternoon, but be prepared to think, they are not just easy puzzles. Nice selection of puzzles, defientely recommend for the price.
on March 8, 2007
Like all the books in this series, these are serious puzzles. They make you put on your thinking cap. Great book
Simon and Schuster have been in the crossword puzzle book business for quite along time now. I think I have four or five stashed around the house, including this one, as I write this review. For the quality of puzzle versus the price paid, I favor these books. One of the major physical aspects of the book that I enjoy is that you can remove a page without trashing the entire book...this is important to me.

Now as to the actually puzzles: Folks, these are not easy...no, no, no....far from it. Some of the clues (well, actually it is more like almost all) are pretty obscure. These puzzles actually cause you to think. Before purchasing this work and the others in the series, you need to keep in mind that these are NOT for the beginner or even in many cases for those falling into the intermediate range! Most of these puzzles are hard!

Now crossword puzzle books are a rather personal thing, we each look for something a bit different...

Do I find these puzzles challenging? You bet, each and ever one of them. Keep in mind though...I am not all that bright.

Have I ever been able to finish one of these things, right to the finish, with no "peeking?" Not by a long shot. I am extremely lucky if I can solve half of each puzzle...Keep in mind though...I am not all that bright.

Do I increase my vocabulary by doing these puzzles? Well, not really as that is not my intent in playing them. I do get and am stimulated by new ways of perceiving different words. This for me is a good thing.

Are these the only puzzle books I use? No way. While I am not one of those people that demands instant gratification and insist on "winning" each and every time, I do like the satisfaction of completing a puzzle now and then. There are plenty of other books out there (Dell publishes nice ones) that offer challenges that are well in my range.

I personally dislike "theme" puzzles. These are not "theme" puzzles. If a person likes "theme" puzzles, they should look elsewhere.

At the price these things go for though, you might want to buy one, give it a try, and if it suits your needs then go from there. Personally, I like this and these books.

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks
88 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2008
For the intermediate to advanced crossword puzzle enthusiast, look no further than these puzzles published by Simon and Schuster. Hundreds of hours of challenging puzzle fun, featuring themed crosswords! Several volumes are available - all time well spent.
on August 5, 2007
EXCELLENT I LIKE THE FACT THAT YOU CAN TEAR OUT A PAGE WITHOUT TEARING UP THE WHOLE BOOK
on June 5, 2010
I'm a crossword fan and I'm also relatively smart, but these clues are way too obtuse for the puzzles to be enjoyable. I find myself being annoyed at how many times I have to look in the back, and even then going "what?" because the references are so obscure. I also think if the answer is more than one word it should be indicated in the clue, that's a pet peeve of mine, this book doesn't agree with me.
on March 12, 2012
Very good themes with some challenging puzzles and some to let you coast a little. Easy to use, good size, tear-out pages are very handy.
Negatives; Too many French words! Some clue repetitions in back to back puzzles.
on May 23, 2013
if you like stupid puns, this is the book for you--lots of "variant" spellings and cute puns but very little intelligence... and some of the "variant" spellings really don't exist in English--they're just a way of making a lazy crossword writer's job easy. As for the accuracy of the clues, they often only apply to the definition of the words in the most tangential way.
on November 25, 2013
I've always bought the Super Crossword Books and enjoyed them very much. However, this one seems to be annoying rather than enjoyable. Some of the puzzle creators seem to have used vague, far-fetched and bizarre clues. In the past I've always finished each puzzle in the Super Crossword Books, sometimes with a bit of difficulty, but not this book. I find myself being frustrated more than enjoying myself and I give up and toss the puzzle in the trash.
on May 22, 2013
Well, I sure felt dumb doing crosswords in this compilation. I thought I was pretty good but I guess not. It's a little too difficult for me to really enjoy it. Some are okay, but many are outside of my knowledge sphere.