4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but you do need to "learn" your author!
Published 19 months ago by Penny Duff

3.0 out of 5 stars weird clues
Published on October 11, 2011 by Deanna J. Marquart

3.0 out of 5 stars weird clues, October 11, 2011
This review is from: Simon & Schuster Super Crostics Book #6 (Paperback)
Acrostics are my favorite category of word puzzle, and I am starting to feel worried that new acrostics books will be even fewer and farther between than they are now. If that were not the case, I probably would skip these acrostics from Thomas Middleton. If you haven't memorized Shakespeare (including the sonnets) and are not familiar with other European literature from before the 19th century. you may find yourself turning to the solutions page or looking stuff up on the Internet more than you would like. It's embarrassing to admit, but that is definitely my experience. I also find that many of Middleton's clues refer to usages that are at best obscure -- i.e., clues and solutions I would never link up even when I know what the answer is. Takes some of the fun out of working acrostics.

3.0 out of 5 stars Small Type Size Tough for Over 50, April 18, 2011
This review is from: Simon & Schuster Super Crostics Book #6 (Paperback)
This is my second Super Crostics Book and they are always challenging. Either my eyes have gotten much worse or the type is much smaller in this edition. You'll need several reference books handy. My favorites are The Million Word Crossword Dictionary, The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations and the Bible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but you do need to "learn" your author!, April 23, 2013
Penny Duff (St. Petersburg, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon & Schuster Super Crostics Book #6 (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book of acrostics. I research many answers on line--and then read the surrounding material! It slows me down, but I learn so much! As others have said, some of his clues are obscure or severely dated--this man must be at least 20 years my senior. After doing a few of the puzzles, one learns his quirks and pet expressions. This is true with any acrostic author. I hadn't realized how much this was true until I reached a few at the end by other authors. This is a big book, and I would recommend it to any acrostic lover. The print is, however, quite small. You need very good lighting and maybe the occasional magnifying glass! I have also seen complaints that this is not spiral bound. Unless you're a pack rat and save completed acrostics, the solution is provided. These puzzles have a fine perforation along the top. When you complete the first side, gently tear it out along the perforation and do the other side. I then pitch the page and go on to the next fresh one. Problem solved. In fact, I find this easier than using the spiral-bound books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best collection of Middleton's puzzles thus far, December 7, 2002
Walt Whitman Fan (Buffalo, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon & Schuster Super Crostics Book #6 (Paperback)
This is the very best collection of Middleton's crostic puzzles that I have ever encountered. (And I have done a lot of his puzzles over the years.)

2.0 out of 5 stars Binding, February 23, 2006
P. Clark (Lexington, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon & Schuster Super Crostics Book #6 (Paperback)
Haven't used it yet but was disappointed that I didn't pick up in the description that it wasn't spiral bound. Lots of puzzles but working with it will be annoying. Not sure, but I thought the paper stock was not as heavy as spiral bound crostics. I have a feeling I'll have to forego half the puzzles because of that.

My bad!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, June 27, 2014
This review is from: Simon & Schuster Super Crostics Book #6 (Paperback)
Thomas H. Middledton is beyond compare when it comes to Crostics. The problem is that I have now done his Crostics TWICE

5.0 out of 5 stars Crostics or Acrostics are wonderful, February 28, 2014
A. Betts "op ivy" (chicago, il United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon & Schuster Super Crostics Book #6 (Paperback)
This is a fantastic compendium of Acrostics of varying degrees of difficulty. None are "easy" which makes me very happy as I always find any puzzle books waste space with easy ones. Good quality but do them in pencil as ink will probably bleed through. Still totally worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Puzzle Book, January 25, 2014
This review is from: Simon & Schuster Super Crostics Book #6 (Paperback)
If you are into crosswords these Simon and Schuster books are a must. Great price fast delivery. My wife loves these and they are challeging enough to keep anyone occupied for a good long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bargain, September 6, 2013
This review is from: Simon & Schuster Super Crostics Book #6 (Paperback)
Simon & Schuster's Crostics Series offers months of enjoyment for those of us who love Crostics puzzles. It's the best deal around.

My only beef is with the cryptic puzzles in which nearly every clue asks an unanswerable question. Those I ignore. Otherwise, this series can't be beaten.

4.0 out of 5 stars Addicting, tough but fun!, June 10, 2013
Didi Stanton (Huntington Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon & Schuster Super Crostics Book #6 (Paperback)
My husband & I can't share it, we tear out pages so we don't have to wait for one another to finish.
I'm going to have to order two copies next time!

Simon & Schuster Super Crostics Book #6
Simon & Schuster Super Crostics Book #6 by Thomas H. Middleton (Paperback - November 1, 2002)
$23.95 $18.85