5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Choice, June 24, 2000
This review is from: A Simple Choice : A Practical Guide for Saving Your Time, Money and Sanity (Paperback)
I would wholeheartedly recommend A Simple Choice to anyone on the road to simplicity. It is definitely a must-read. Taylor-Hough never assumes to tell anyone what "their" simplicity should look like, rather she inspires with creative ideas and her own experience. Her perspective isn't one of preaching but sharing. Reading her book was like having a conversation with a good friend--I didn't want it to end! The book's title is perfect: to be able to choose a simple lifestyle deliberately and purposefully is the definition of contentment and makes for a wonderful life. And it is a wonderful life, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Choice: A Practical Guide, May 19, 2000
By A Customer
This book is an excellent primer for those being introduced to the concepts of simple-living and for those, like myself, who are avid practioners. The book provides a reflective introduction to the concepts of simplicity,interspersed with personal anecdotes from the author, practical tips,and an excellent appendix which provides other sources for more research into the area of simple-living. The inclusion of tips,hints, and recipes makes this an excellent home resource guide. Many of the tips are geared towards families, but any of them can be adapted for those single or child-less households, and do not diminish the value of the concepts presented.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply from the heart, August 3, 2001
Jade (United States) - See all my reviews
There are many simplicity books out there written from the perspective of those who were spendthrifts and/or packrats, but who have now seen the light.
Taylor-Hough writes her book from the perspective of a woman for whom simplicity is a way of life and always has been. There is no fluff about how to buy the expensive for less, or how to find self-respect in one’s new lifestyle. The author presents nothing more than the desire to share the joy that is born from living the life of less.
The only hitch that we encountered was that Taylor-Hough choose to include information on how to eliminate debt and work with financial difficulties. We agree that this issue must be overcome to truly appreciate the simple (or any kind of) life, but the subject is so massive that the chapter ends up sounding somewhat trite. We believe Taylor-Hough would have been better served to refer the reader to a book with a more comprehensive approach to the subject, such as Mary Hunt's cheapskate series.
Other than that small point, the book will prove to be one that is examined and re-examined often whether you are just entering the philosophy or whether you have been a practitioner for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Warmly written and great ideas., October 17, 2001
By A Customer
Since this book just arrived, it seems somewhat premature to be reviewing it already -- but it has already proven well worth the cost. I absolutely love the gift-giving chapter, filled with incomparable ideas for giving wonderful gifts from the heart that only a Scrooge wouldn't love, but that won't break the bank.
Same with wonderful ideas for holiday traditions, decorations, etc. Although I have not yet had a chance to try them, the recipes for making your own mixes (both practical and suitable for gift-giving), cleansers, etc. seem especially good. I havn't even gotten to the chapters on saving money and cutting costs yet, but am already thrilled with my purchase. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Personal Search for Contentment in a Materialistic Society, July 18, 2005
Do you sense that life is going by and you're not really living it true to yourself or your personal convictions? If so, you may be suffering from spiritual bankruptcy...While we can't ever free ourselves fully from all of life's demands, we can discover a sense of balance in our lives. Or we can identify ways to shift between the two extremes - finding a time and a place in our lives for contemplation, and then alternating that with other times of busyness and distraction." ~Deborah Taylor-Hough

In order to simplify her life, Deborah Taylor-Hough had to rethink her entire lifestyle. With five children and medical bills that loomed over her, she made some tough decisions that required her to put away her pride and look more realistically at how she intended to survive. Her courage is inspirational and the decisions she made showed that her priorities were her family and her commitment to her belief system.

If you are dealing with a lack of meaning even with great wealth or societal emptiness despite an elegant lifestyle, this book takes a look at survival on the edge of bankruptcy and a search for contentment in a less than materialistic lifestyle.

If you long for a life of contentment, it may be a life of simplified choices and a life where family becomes more important than keeping up with every other family on the block.

While this isn't as far as building your own house or "Walden Pond," it is a realistic view of life and how to avoid falling into debt by taking practical and necessary actions like avoiding the temptations at malls or not watching certain channels on TV.

Deborah Taylor-Hough is a beautiful soul who has written a very practical guide for women who want to find a new balance in their lives. She also gives advice about tripling many recipes and freezing meals for the future (see her cookbooks), like before you give birth to a baby or know you are going to go through a time of stress. There are also recipes for making your own instant coffee mixes and homemade dry onion soup mix. Now I know why one house had closets that were scented with cloves - it keeps away moths.

If you have children you may enjoy the recipes for craft dough, soap crayons and homemade paper crafts. If you want to refresh your laundry or even make your own laundry soap, this author has the recipes. I have used her recipe for Spa Milk Bath, but I also use essential oils. I found that sea salt is relatively inexpensive at a health food store and even the addition of oatmeal in a cheesecloth bag and buttermilk can make a completely wonderful spa experience.

This book encourages you to be happier with less possessions and more quality family time. When you remember your childhood, what are the happy things you remember? I remember running around barefoot, swimming in African rivers and eating lemon meringue pie. I didn't care about the size of our house or the clothes I wore. I remembered the freedom to enjoy life and how my mother taught me to make strawberry jam.

Other great ideas:

Family cookbooks
Debt proofing your holidays
Winter picnics

I loved this idea because it reinforces the ideas that happiness has nothing to do with how much money you earn and it has everything to do with being creative and maximizing the talents you have and rearranging your priorities.

~The Rebecca Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Choice is Simply Excellent, August 22, 2000
Dana Younger (Tallahassee, FL United States) - See all my reviews
A Simple Choice is a great book to read whether you are just starting out on the road to simple living or you consider yourself an expert. Debi puts her heart and soul in this book. She doesn't tell you to do this or do that. She tells you "this works for me." I have read almost every book about living the simple life and Debi's is one of the very best.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Choice, February 9, 2001
lecgraphx "lecgraphx" (Epping, NH United States) - See all my reviews
I am interested in all aspects of simple living and have read many books on the subject. This was mostly a how-to book and it was loaded with great ideas...particularly good for young families. It was a fast and entertaining book to read and I found myself laughing out load during several parts. Many of us can relate to what she says. Also, I found myself marking many pages and plan on trying out many of her ideas. Don't miss this one if you want to simplify your household "chores"

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to get my own copy!, November 2, 2001
I borrowed the book from the library, and want my own copy now! My favorite part was the simplified method of tidying the house. I have implemented this only halfway so far, and already the house is much cleaner, and I don't feel like I spent any time doing it!

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent money-saving tool, June 2, 2005
Jeff Davidson (Chapel Hill, NC USA) - See all my reviews
Readers gain various tips and insights into saving time and money with this book. Various tasks become more simple and less expensive. This book speaks more on how to save money than on how to free yourself from the greed and dependency that it provokes.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Helpful book!, October 28, 2003
By A Customer
This a a great book with ideas and time savings for me. The title so describes the book, good choice! I love it!

A Simple Choice : A Practical Guide for Saving Your Time, Money and Sanity
A Simple Choice : A Practical Guide for Saving Your Time, Money and Sanity by Deborah Taylor-Hough (Paperback - April 1, 2000)
Used & New from: $0.01