Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

on March 27, 2011
I bought these shoes because I was hoping for a comfortable pair of shoes that would also be breathable. These shoes are comfortable from the start but I have only been wearing them off and on for 2 months and they are already falling apart. I haven't used these for anything other than wearing to my office job and occasionally taking my dog for a walk and they are ripping where the canvas connects to the sole.

I would not recommend these shoes.
on June 28, 2011
I bought these shoes in Nov 2010, and immediately loved them. They're super-comfortable and fit really well. The shoelaces were a little too short, but longer replacements laces are cheap.

After wearing them for about 2 months (by now in the middle of winter) I noticed my right foot was FREEZING, to the point of being almost numb from the cold. After a week of this, I found that the right shoe had a 3-inch tear in the fabric were it met the rubber sole, right at the toe bend (the upper 1/3 of the shoe that bends when you move your toes up and down). Figuring I'd gotten a bad pair, I filled out the needed paperwork for a warranty replacement and sent them in (shipped at my expense, of course). After 7-10 days, I received an email stating that Yes, the shoes are eligible for a free replacement and I'd be receiving them in a couple of weeks. I finally received them back in late March.

Flash forward to today (June 28) and it's pouring down rain outside. I noticed my right foot feels damp, and Lo and Behold, another tear in the exact same place. I have no idea how long it's been there; this is the first significant rain we've had in a month. But I'd guess a few weeks at least.

My guess as to what is causing these tears is this: I tend to drive mainly with my toes on the gas pedal, not the entire foot. The constant up-and-down motion, along with it resting on the gas with the toes bent, is causing this tear to develop. This is the only thing I can think of; it's not like I'm doing heavy labor outdoors in them. So while maybe not entirely the fault of the shoes, I still expect a little better quality from the manufacturer. At the very least, they need to take of look at this issue. If these shoes can't withstand this after a few months, I'd hate to see what they'd look like after 2 years.

I won't be returning these for another replacement pair. At this point I'm nearly $65 into them, and I don't want spend any more money shipping them back for replacement.

I love the shoes - they are VERY comfortable - and I like what the company is trying to do with it's environmental goals. But they're just not durable enough. It's good that they're biodegradable, because I have no choice but to just toss them in the garbage.
on November 27, 2010
I was very pleased with these shoes when I initially received them. I purchased the Black/Green pair here from Amazon and was very happy with them when they arrived. They are very comfortable and I really liked that fact that they are eco-friendly and all that jazz.

However, I'm just now over having worn these shoes for 100 days and they have already begun to deteriorate. I have 5" rips in the fabric on the inside curve of both shoes where the fabric meets the rubber. The left shoe has tears higher up towards the heel. The soles are wearing faster than your typical sneaker as well. This is all with non-abusive wear. I untie and retie my shoes every time I take them off or put them on. I don't skateboard in these shoes nor do I run or any other activity that might be particularly rough on the shoes. The most use they see is walking across campus to class.

Overall, these are very comfortable shoes and a great idea, I just expected a pair of shoes at this price to last at least a year. I suppose they would be nice if you had another pair to alternate with or these were your after work shoe? You've been warned.
44 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2010
Why are these listed as for "men" only? Wanted the Orange one in 7, wasn't available. Waited for over a month and finally bought biking red. Love it! Very comfortable and stylish. These shoes don't need any break in- can wear them right away for extended hours. No leather. And IMHO they should definitely call them uni-sex. :)
on April 17, 2013
I got these for a comfortable pair of kicks that I can wear on a day-to-day basis.

I like that they are made with eco-friendly materials, and that they have great styling.

Within a couple of months, however, I noticed that the outer fabric started to fray where my pinky toe is on one shoe. Within a month, the other shoe started to fray. After I noticed they didn't seem to be holding up as well, I left them at home more often in favor of more durable shoe options. I still wear them occasionally, and even with reduced use, they have frayed on the inside of the foot next to my big toes as well.

The insole is comfy, almost too soft if you're going to be on your feet all day.

I really like the styling on these shoes, just wish they held up better.
on March 3, 2012
I bought these shoes because they looked just like the Airwalk "Jim" sneakers I used to wear when I was in college. The Airwalks were my favorite shoes ever, but since they became a Payless Shoe Store brand their quality has gone down hill. These looked just like the Airwalks I remembered so I gave them a try.

Not only do these sneakers look like the Airwalks, but they feel 100 times more comfortable. I have worn mine every day since purchasing them in October and they barely look worn at all, so they are definitely more rugged then the Airwalks too. I have read a few reviews stating that the sole has come unglued from the canvas but I have not experienced that problem at all. Since October I have purchased 5 more pairs of these from Amazon and other vendors. These are a discontinued model and I want to stock up before they are gone. I Have not had any of my 6 pairs come unglued yet so I can't complain about the durability. And the shoes are Eco-Friendly too so that's a plus.
on July 1, 2010
This shoe is excellent if you're looking for a sneaker for day to day use. I've recently bought this off amazon and took roughly 4 days to get here. Once i took them out i realized the quality and effort put into this shoe. It's a eco friendly shoe with nice padding and it looks good. These are ideal for casual use like hanging out or even at the office. its comfortable and it seems sturdy so far. Came with no loose lining or stitching. And the inner sole is comfy. Help save the planet and look good too. I definitely suggest these shoes. 5 stars!
on December 1, 2011
These are very nice shoes. They're comfortable and they look nice. I have some other Simple shoes that are similar and I love them too.

The sizing seems true-to-size to me. I normally wear a 10.5-11, and like all of my Simple shoes, I ordered an 11 with these. They fit very well, as expected.

I know one of the criticisms is that they easily fall apart, but that doesn't surprise me. A tag on the shoe claims the outer soles will biodegrade within 20 years, while the outer soles on some other shoes will last 1,000 year. Considering how Simple shoes are made with recycled materials, I never expect them to be very durable shoes.

However, I don't wear the same pair of shoes every day and I don't wear my Simple shoes for outdoor activities. I have several pairs of various Simple models and they're all still holding up well. These may be an athletic style of shoes, but I wouldn't wear them for athletic purposes, not just because they probably wouldn't hold up long, but also because they're probably not the best shoes for that purpose. I guess my point is that while I'm sure they do tear up quickly with frequent wear, I don't wear mine as an everyday shoe, or an athletic shoe, and they seem to be holding up fine.

Overall, I'm very pleased with all of my shoes of this brand. They're all very comfortable and have a nice, somewhat original look about them. My only complaint is that the price tag is often too high, but they're not difficult to find on sale.
on July 21, 2011
After having always had trouble finding shoes in a size 16, I was going through another round of a shoe hunt that would only end with me awash in a sea of business spats, orthopedic shoes, and running shoes. I stumbled upon these and when I saw that not only were they the exact style I was looking for, but they were $20 cheaper than brands like Vans and other similar shoe companies, and on top of it all they are extremely eco-friendly and practice amazing organic material standards.

They shipped out the day I ordered which i was surprised to find them on my doorstep a day earlier than expected. Boxed in a recycled cardboard shoebox and bundled paper in place of harmful styrofoam peanuts. Funny to imagine you could pick up the package off of your doorstep and put it directly into a compost pile and within 20 years there would be no trace of the contents.

The quality and construction of the shoes are honestly the best I've seen in any pair of sneakers I have ever purchased in the skate shops. No excess plastic ridges around cheaply glued parts, just heavy stitching and very solid, clean construction that is simultaneously light and breathable making them perfect for the warmer seasons. And for once, the shoe actually fit perfectly wide as opposed to other notoriously narrow brands like Puma.

I will definitely be buying another pair of these in the future.
on June 12, 2010
All "green" pretensions aside - these shoes quite comfortable right out of the box. No need for "break-in." No weird lumps or bumps on the insides. Comfortable for walking and everyday casual wear. While I haven't had these a very long time, they appear very well constructed and feel like they will last a long time. The cotton uppers are very breathable - so far no weird "sneaker smell" that you would get from an ordinary pair of canvas shoes. Lastly - who can't love a pair of shoes with cute little worms on the bottom!
review image review image