Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on November 23, 2011
When I read that Aaron was coming out with a new cookbook, I was so excited. I have watched him on the foodnetwork for the last few years. I knew his food would be amazing, and it is! I have made several recipes and they all are delicious. I made the Garlic-Chipolte Love sauce first, and it was so much more than I expected from so few ingredients. I have made his 'garlic love' sauce 5x now. I use it in a pot of beans, chicken, beef and fish, it has such rich deep flavors, it's so delicious. Next, I made the Cilantro-Cojita Pesto, I died and went to food heaven, it's that good! It is so delicious on pasta, and on his recipe Chiles Rellenos with Vegetable Picadillo. Then I made the Smoky Black Bean Sauce, OMG this is to die for good! I also made the Mussels with Beer and Garlic-Chipolte Love, the broth is soooo good. It was the first time I have had mussels, and they were ok, but I probably won't have them again, but the broth recipe used to make this dish was excellent.

Once in a while I come across a recipe that will be a family favorite, one that makes your life more enjoyable and makes you feel alive by the wonderful flavors. With Aaron's 'Simple Food Big Flavor' cookbook, I have found that, I thank you Aaron, you rock dude!

Highly recommend!
on March 2, 2012
I received this book as a present a couple months ago and have cooked through several recipes. There is nothing that I don't like about this cookbook, it's simply fantastic.

Firstly, the presentation is gorgeous, including lots of lively color and photographs of the ingredients and dishes. I like that enough attention was put into this aspect!

The concept of the book is really nice. He gives you some amazing sauce recipes (including anecdotes and explanations), and following each of these sauces are recipes using that sauce.

The ones I've made far:

1. Garlic-chipotle love: this I even started making before I got the book. After I had put it together and took a bite I had a big "wow, that's amazing" moment. Aside from using this sauce for countless of my own recipes (with veggies, fish, chicken, pasta, etc...), I have also made the black bean sauce, which is simple to make and really tasty.

2. Cilantro-cotija pesto: Really wonderful recipe, so nutty and good. I've had it on pasta and my mom (who also has this book) likes to use it on pizza dough, also good!

3. Roasted tomato - chili de arbol salsa: I really love this one. It also introduced me to chiles de arbol, which are so fragrant and tasty. I tend to add a couple extra chilies to the salsa for some extra spice. Accompanying that recipe is a totally kick-ass chicken tostada recipe. I made this last week as a dinner for two and it is just sooo good, perfect mix of flavors. The salsa mixed with chicken was practically addictive. I also love his sopa seca recipe (made this probably 10 times), which is basically browning little pastas (like orzo or alphabets) in oil before cooking it in the salsa. Definitely rates as comfort food, especially with the added cotija on top!

4. Habanero love: really nice and sweet spicy salsa. I've used it to make habanero mayo for burgers, which was a big hit. As he suggests it tastes good stirred into stews so I have put it into a couple soups which gave it a nice sweet zing. I think it also really tasty on toast! (so is the garlic-chipolte love sauce, with a little butter too, mmmm).

I regularly make one or two of his sauces so I have them on-hand in the fridge when I want them.

I will of course most definitely be making more recipes out of his book - but I think aside from just giving you recipes, Aaron gives you loads of inspiration and ideas for how to use these flavors in your own cooking.

I definitely would recommend this book to anybody who wants to make delicious, Mexican-inspired food!
on May 3, 2012
I was never that impressed by Aaron on Food TV, but after seeing this book in the library, I just had to buy it. Now I'm very impressed by Aaron! His mole is outstanding, but one word of caution his recipe makes a boat load. I've made several of his recipes and the flavors are indeed BOLD, but most of the recipes are quite easy to make. If you like to cook and like Mexican cuisine this book is a must!
on November 16, 2013
Most innovative cookbook I've come across, with the whole thing built around a series of salsas and condiments. Each condiment is the key ingredient is several recipes. The directions are clear, the book is very visually appealing, and so far all the recipes we've tried are delicious. A very different take on the usual Mexican cookbook. No wonder Sanchez is a superstar chef!
on February 18, 2012
Loved this book. He really puts Latin cooking in it's simplest forms so even the most inexperienced home-cook "gets it" and can cook like a rock star, and yet experienced chefs can learn a little something here and there too. I've bought several copies now...can't keep them around! :)
on October 24, 2012
I must admit, this cookbook had me concerned at first. Most of the ingredients are things that are not in my kitchen. I do love how it is separated into sections likes sauces, etc. I have tried a few recipes so far and they are easy to use and super tasty.
on May 25, 2013
This cookbook is fun! It is completely engaging and makes the cooking easy! I love how it helps you build up your expertise. This kind of food makes my family incredibly happy!
on January 14, 2014
Aaron Sanchez is one gifted man-he communicates his love,recipes & creativity brilliantly. I have no real experience with Latin style food yet leafing thru this cookbook I want to make & store in my fridge every sauce,pesto,paste,rub & salsa in it! Brilliant lay out,great pictures & brief well written inspiring notes & suggestions. I'm ready for some heat!
on October 12, 2015
If you are looking for a book that speaks to Mexican cuisine...this is it. Aaron provides his essential rubs, sauces and salsas that makes all the difference in your recipe foundation. It additionally talks to how to make Chorizo along with understanding the staples in Mexican cuisine and how to work with them. If you are looking for a staple book that provides foundation to Mexican Cuisine ...this is it!
on May 24, 2016
The title says it all. I have tried several recipes and have not been disappointed. If you do purchase this, I urge you to pay close attention to the sauces. He is a genius. Most of the ingredients are easy to find at most supermarkets. I live in an area where the markets don't cater to crazy food people like me, so I have had to order a few things. I always feel if I find one or two excellent recipes in a cookbook, I'm happy with my purchase. This book is the exception. I have not tried anything that didn't come out perfectly. I know this book will end up with a handful of others stacked on the shelf with food stains and curled edges-all signs of a good cookbook.