5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious! 10+****************
Published on November 23, 2011 by Lila

2.0 out of 5 stars Not at all what I expected. This book is more for the experience Mexican cook that just needs new idea
This book is more for the experienced Mexican cook that just needs new ideas for sauces. I made the mole sauce and it was terrible, too bitter. At first I thought it was because I overtoasted the spices and chili peppers, so I threw out a gallon of this sauce and tried it again without toasting the spices and peppers, and it was still not good, I had a lot of doctoring...
Published on November 14, 2012 by Justina

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious! 10+****************, November 23, 2011
This review is from: Simple Food, Big Flavor: Unforgettable Mexican-Inspired Recipes from My Kitchen to Yours (Hardcover)
When I read that Aaron was coming out with a new cookbook, I was so excited. I have watched him on the foodnetwork for the last few years. I knew his food would be amazing, and it is! I have made several recipes and they all are delicious. I made the Garlic-Chipolte Love sauce first, and it was so much more than I expected from so few ingredients. I have made his 'garlic love' sauce 5x now. I use it in a pot of beans, chicken, beef and fish, it has such rich deep flavors, it's so delicious. Next, I made the Cilantro-Cojita Pesto, I died and went to food heaven, it's that good! It is so delicious on pasta, and on his recipe Chiles Rellenos with Vegetable Picadillo. Then I made the Smoky Black Bean Sauce, OMG this is to die for good! I also made the Mussels with Beer and Garlic-Chipolte Love, the broth is soooo good. It was the first time I have had mussels, and they were ok, but I probably won't have them again, but the broth recipe used to make this dish was excellent.

Once in a while I come across a recipe that will be a family favorite, one that makes your life more enjoyable and makes you feel alive by the wonderful flavors. With Aaron's 'Simple Food Big Flavor' cookbook, I have found that, I thank you Aaron, you rock dude!

Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational cookbook with recipes that you will make over and over!, March 2, 2012
I received this book as a present a couple months ago and have cooked through several recipes. There is nothing that I don't like about this cookbook, it's simply fantastic.

Firstly, the presentation is gorgeous, including lots of lively color and photographs of the ingredients and dishes. I like that enough attention was put into this aspect!

The concept of the book is really nice. He gives you some amazing sauce recipes (including anecdotes and explanations), and following each of these sauces are recipes using that sauce.

The ones I've made far:

1. Garlic-chipotle love: this I even started making before I got the book. After I had put it together and took a bite I had a big "wow, that's amazing" moment. Aside from using this sauce for countless of my own recipes (with veggies, fish, chicken, pasta, etc...), I have also made the black bean sauce, which is simple to make and really tasty.

2. Cilantro-cotija pesto: Really wonderful recipe, so nutty and good. I've had it on pasta and my mom (who also has this book) likes to use it on pizza dough, also good!

3. Roasted tomato - chili de arbol salsa: I really love this one. It also introduced me to chiles de arbol, which are so fragrant and tasty. I tend to add a couple extra chilies to the salsa for some extra spice. Accompanying that recipe is a totally kick-ass chicken tostada recipe. I made this last week as a dinner for two and it is just sooo good, perfect mix of flavors. The salsa mixed with chicken was practically addictive. I also love his sopa seca recipe (made this probably 10 times), which is basically browning little pastas (like orzo or alphabets) in oil before cooking it in the salsa. Definitely rates as comfort food, especially with the added cotija on top!

4. Habanero love: really nice and sweet spicy salsa. I've used it to make habanero mayo for burgers, which was a big hit. As he suggests it tastes good stirred into stews so I have put it into a couple soups which gave it a nice sweet zing. I think it also really tasty on toast! (so is the garlic-chipolte love sauce, with a little butter too, mmmm).

I regularly make one or two of his sauces so I have them on-hand in the fridge when I want them.

I will of course most definitely be making more recipes out of his book - but I think aside from just giving you recipes, Aaron gives you loads of inspiration and ideas for how to use these flavors in your own cooking.

I definitely would recommend this book to anybody who wants to make delicious, Mexican-inspired food!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, May 3, 2012
P. Caluori "Pete" (Castle Rock, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
I was never that impressed by Aaron on Food TV, but after seeing this book in the library, I just had to buy it. Now I'm very impressed by Aaron! His mole is outstanding, but one word of caution his recipe makes a boat load. I've made several of his recipes and the flavors are indeed BOLD, but most of the recipes are quite easy to make. If you like to cook and like Mexican cuisine this book is a must!

5.0 out of 5 stars FUN!!!, May 25, 2013
This cookbook is fun! It is completely engaging and makes the cooking easy! I love how it helps you build up your expertise. This kind of food makes my family incredibly happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spicy Hot Cookbook, October 24, 2012
I must admit, this cookbook had me concerned at first. Most of the ingredients are things that are not in my kitchen. I do love how it is separated into sections likes sauces, etc. I have tried a few recipes so far and they are easy to use and super tasty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Basics and Down To Earth Flavors, February 18, 2012
Loved this book. He really puts Latin cooking in it's simplest forms so even the most inexperienced home-cook "gets it" and can cook like a rock star, and yet experienced chefs can learn a little something here and there too. I've bought several copies now...can't keep them around! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars No wonder Sanchez is a superstar chef!, November 16, 2013
Most innovative cookbook I've come across, with the whole thing built around a series of salsas and condiments. Each condiment is the key ingredient is several recipes. The directions are clear, the book is very visually appealing, and so far all the recipes we've tried are delicious. A very different take on the usual Mexican cookbook. No wonder Sanchez is a superstar chef!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun book. I'm going to work my way through ..., August 17, 2014
Fun book. I'm going to work my way through the main recipes and leave comments. First off Chipotle love. Easy, delicious. But a couple of caveats. This has a cup of oi. in it. So, it's going to separate as soon as you stop mixing it. No problem if you're using it immediately. If you store it in the fridge as suggested just remember that the oil will separate and solidify so you'll need to heat and stir it whenever it's needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of master recipes, June 7, 2014
Ezequiel Perez "Izou" (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
Aaron Sanchez has compiled a base set of master recipes for everyday and out of the ordinary dining - love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aaron Sanchez Cook Book, January 16, 2012
My fiancee and I watch the Chopped Show so I purchase the Simple Food Big Flavor Cook Book by Aaron Sanchez and we just love it. My fiancee has made 3 of the recipes so far and we loved them all.

$26.99 $17.99