5.0 out of 5 stars Shaker Nut
Published on December 29, 2000 by steve

3.0 out of 5 stars Plain and simple
Well, there isn't much to say about this book other than it was a cozy, meandering read that doesn't take a lot of energy or concentration to read. Nothing happens in this book, either. However, I learned something about the Shaker way that I hadn't known before. It was entertaining in that respect, but nothing more. Would probably only appeal to those interested...
Published on July 11, 2000 by Dianna Setterfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaker Nut, December 29, 2000
steve (Auburn, Maine United States) - See all my reviews
I grew up close to the only surviving Shaker village in the world and my interest in this interesting people is alive and well. I enjoyed this book for the glimpse of people who remain alive within the pages of books written by those who lived and worked among them. I would agree, this book is meant for those with an interest in the people and their everyday lives. It is a great way to prelude a visit to the Canterbury Village where everything is made real.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully written book, December 21, 2001
This review is from: Simple Gifts: Lessons in Living from a Shaker Village (Paperback)
This book is NOT just for those with an interest in the Shakers. I picked it from the library shelf at random while looking for something else, and I am so glad I did. Those who enjoy learning from their elders, those who are trying to make sense of religion, and those who love a good memoir may want to give this book a try. I loved the author's positive outlook. She treats her subject with great sensitivity, warmth, and attention to detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fly on the Wall, February 12, 2000
I enjoyed the fly on the wall experience I had reading Sprigg's work. I felt like I was going through the same things and meeting the same people she was. All of the people came alive for me as I read about the lives of some interesting women who lived at Canterbury Village.
I must say, though, that the book meant even more to me when I made the trek to the village and took the awesome tour. Then all of the people spoke to me. I found myself reading the book again to put myself in their place.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Charmer, July 7, 2000
June Sprigg is a perceptive, compassionate, and poetic observer of Shaker life as she shared it in the early 1970's. Her representation is sympathetic but doesn't "whitewash" the human frailties of the people she encountered. Her descriptions of the beauty of the natural surroundings in which she lived and worked are superb, delicate, and rich. The work is further enhanced by her sweetly simple pencil sketches of the village and the Shakers she grew to love. Perfect reading for summer--or any other time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perceptive and interesting, May 20, 2000
If you are looking for another Sue Bender's Plain and Simple, this is not the book you seek. If, however, you are interested in people, especially people who espouse a dying way of life, this book is well worth your time. And, if you have an interest in Shaker music, consider this a must - you'll "meet" some of the singers on the last "field recordings" of the Shakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I was there, April 8, 2011
Deb (Schenectady,NY) - See all my reviews
Tis book is written in a simple style and with love. It made me long for a simpler time and wishing I could go live in such a time and place.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shaker Village, March 13, 2012
Good Memoir about the Shaker way of life. 1 Star removed for the pace of the book, which I realize based on the life style of the village vs. modern day, how can the author really speed it up. Good read overall though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Caught me by surprise, August 3, 2001
I was looking through the library for a book on the Shaker way, specifically, what it might be like to be a Shaker, what goes on in their minds, and why they live(d) the way they did. This book is a truly engaging read from cover to cover -- the warm, conversational tone of the narrative kept me reading, and the insights into the Shaker world are priceless. Rather than taking a dry, anthropological view of the vanishing sect, or waxing new age, the author simply tells her own story beautifully, evoking the feeling of what it would be like to visit that time and place. I know very little about Shaker ways, which is why I picked up this book, and I'm very glad I did. From the humorous visits with the neighboring miniature makers to the serene white-washed (and even pink!) walls of the buildings to the gentle smiles of the Sisters, this memoir was charming and a great read. I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Gifts : A Memoir of a Shaker Village, August 19, 2014
I, probably as most of us do, thought of the "Shakers", as a history book entry to our long ago past. And no way they could be as exciting and instructive as the sailors/whalers in Melville's "Moby-Dick", or Richard Dana's Two Years Before the Mast". I was wrong!! This book written over one hundred years later by a teen-aged girl in the 1960's deals with the firm values of a religious order, that was as tightly knit and controlled as any sailing vessel. It had to be in order to survive. As did any sail vessel on the endless expanse of salt water. Until the development of a reliable spring clock, no vessel could tell latitude. They could determin longitude, but not else.

Herein a group of elderly, dying old (religious) women, (some helpful, some antagonistic and some not) help a 1960's teenage girl into a meaningful life.

June's remembrances, make me wish I had known all involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insigthful, June 3, 2013
Robert Crouse (LaGrange, Kentucky United States) - See all my reviews
Historical guide through the life of Shakers in America. If you have any interest in understanding the Shakers this is an excellent selection.

Simple Gifts: Lessons in Living from a Shaker Village
Simple Gifts: Lessons in Living from a Shaker Village by June Sprigg (Paperback - June 7, 1999)
$15.00 $13.50