4.0 out of 5 stars A Reminder to Slow Down
Published on July 3, 2010 by Alyssa Pierce

1.0 out of 5 stars Tate vanity authors
Buyer beware. Thumb thru this little booklet in the store and decide for yourself. Many of the reviewers here are fellow (Tate )" authors". Self promotion is no promotion!
Published on December 20, 2010 by booker32

4.0 out of 5 stars A Reminder to Slow Down, July 3, 2010
This review is from: A Simpler Time (Perfect Paperback)
Do you remember a time before internet, iPods, a video games? Do you remember doing anything that wasn't technology-related? I vaguely remember a time during my childhood when playing in a cardboard box was the highlight of my day. In a world overrun by computers, it's very easy to lose sight of the simple wonders in life. I think that's why I love this book so much. A.J. thinks her summer will be boring because she isn't going to do the things her classmates are doing over break. Her mom shows her that you don't need to go to some exotic place or have the newest toys or games to have fun.

While this is a children's book, I think adults can learn a valuable lesson from it as well. We all need to slow down and learn to appreciate the small things that we pass up everyday because we're too busy checking our email on our Blackberrys as we run to wherever we're supposed to be. I really think every kid out there should read this...maybe they'll turn the video games off for once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Found Memories of a Simpler Time..., July 20, 2013
Dolores Ayotte (Winnipeg, Manitoba) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Simpler Time (Kindle Edition)
I read and review a variety of books and time and time again I am drawn to the delight that comes from reading a children's book. "A Simpler Time" by Author Laura W. Eckroat is no exception. As a mother to three daughters, grandmother to nine active grandchildren, and former teacher...I can truly appreciate the simpler times mentioned in this colorful picture book that is appropriate for school age children.

In the era of computer technology, it is very refreshing to take a moment to recall some of these simpler activities. They bring back some found memories that I engaged in with my own children. The impetus in this children's book is to focus on summer activities that are creative, fun, and inexpensive. What a great way, for not only A.J. to spend her summer vacation...but for all young children to enjoy by engaging in some of these great ideas. Good stuff!

Inspirational Author & Book Reviewer ~ Dolores Ayotte
A Woman's Voice - Inspirational Short Stories - Volume 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories, October 10, 2010
This review is from: A Simpler Time (Perfect Paperback)
A Simpler Time by Laura Eckroat is delightful. The first thing that grabbed me was the illustrations, but the story is what captivated my imagination and brought back so many fond, childhood memories. 'A Simpler Time' encourages you to slow down and really appreciate what is around you, in nature, not in technology. While gadgets are fun, new and exciting...at least for a while, the world around you has so much more to offer and it changes daily!
One of my favorite summer memories as a child is catching fireflies, this is something my children also love to do now. This book not only encourages imagination, but encourages families to spend time together creating wonderful memories that will last longer than any ipod or video game.
This book is great for almost everybody! Give it as a gift for a birthday, holiday or just any occasion. It will remind adults of simpler times and show children that there is more to life than playing games, sitting at a computer, etc...
Great book! Loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fond Memories, September 22, 2010
This review is from: A Simpler Time (Perfect Paperback)
Laura Eckroat delivers excellence yet again with A Simpler Time. AJ's discovery of the wonderful world around her brought back fond memories of my childhood. Nothing is more exciting then finding adventure in your own back yard or neighborhood. While computer games and texting often become boring after the newness has worn off, the many wonders of nature will never cease to amaze a child with an open heart and mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simpler Time is Needed, July 8, 2010
This review is from: A Simpler Time (Perfect Paperback)
After reading this book I was reminded of many of the things my family did when I was growing up. We did not have video games, iPod, or computers and our television was watched only at night.As I was reading this wonderful story I thought about my parents and all the adventures we had. This is a beautiful story for readers of all ages. I can't wait to read it to my class in the fall and start their imaginations on all the possibilities that nature has to hold.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Memories, June 29, 2010
Markedward1 (Whting, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Simpler Time (Perfect Paperback)
Laura, A Simpler Time, we got two books, one for Heather and one for Barb. I read it, and it really reminded me to appreciate the moments and details in time because these moments and details in time make for some of the best memories. Thanks so much for sharing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to be in a Simpler Time!, May 14, 2010
This review is from: A Simpler Time (Perfect Paperback)
I LOVED this book! My 11 year old daughter and I read it together. We both longed to take a day and search for clovers and spend the night catching fireflies. A Simpler Time is a wonderful book for all ages with a great message to leave the iPod's and computers where they lay and get out and enjoy what Nature has to offer, with the people who love you most!

by - Faith H. Tydings author of A Little Yellow Star

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple Pleasures Are the Best, May 11, 2010
This review is from: A Simpler Time (Perfect Paperback)
A Simpler Time by Laura Eckroat is a very enjoyable book. I would recommend it to parents and grandparents for enjoyment as well as discussion. The message is good in showing that simple pleasures are the things that endure. Doing without electronic entertainment and devices is foreign to children in this day and time. I think it gives the grown ups ideas in helping make memories with children. It is beautifully illustrated and wonderfully written.
Elaine Littau, author of Nan's Journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching story with a purpose!, September 1, 2013
This review is from: A Simpler Time (Perfect Paperback)
A "Simpler Time" by Laura W. Eckroat, is a touching story that brought me back to my own childhood--when kids seemed to enjoy the simpler things in life. I loved the moment in the story when A.J. discovered her first "Simpler" moment! I recommend this book to parents and grandparents who have ever heard their child or grandchild say, "I'm bored."

-Virginia Wright, Author
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY LOVE THIS BOOK, July 13, 2013
A SIMPLER TIME should be required reading for all young children. Technology that now rules the world should not rule the heart! Share this story with the grandchildren!!!!

A Simpler Time
A Simpler Time by Laura W. Eckroat (Perfect Paperback - May 11, 2010)
$8.99 $8.09