5.0 out of 5 stars Is Simplicity Really This Simple?
Published on May 16, 2004 by James Ward

3.0 out of 5 stars Simplicty - Not so Simple
Published on September 1, 2008 by Kevin C

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Is Simplicity Really This Simple?, May 16, 2004
James Ward (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go (Paperback)
Richard Rohr dives below the surface of rational Western culture in a dialog about God's Kingdom, being poor, social justice and living in a deeper place of simplicity where we are at home with the Jesus in us. The thoughts in this book are profound, simple, and challenging. This book truly captivated me. I did not want to put it down. My mind was stretched and my heart defibrillated as I began to see how simple it all really is... Blessed are those with very little... Blessed are those who have lost something... Blessed are those... Is the Sermon on the Mount just imagery of a life which is unobtainable to us now? His Kingdom seems to be up-side-down. And as Jesus said, "The Kingdom is here now!"

3.0 out of 5 stars Simplicty - Not so Simple, September 1, 2008
Kevin C (Ellicott City, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go (Paperback)
This book looks at simplicty and discusses it through many systems; American Society, Woman's roles, Catholicicsm, the American Church and your image of God. It is based upon talks Fr. Rohr has given and seems a bit disjointed. It is not until the last chapter that Fr. Rohr gets to approching simplicity from the individual perspective. He states "Our path, like Jesus' leads us to the wilderness where we have to look the exactly the same three demons in the eye: the need to be successful, the need to be righteous or religious, and the need to have power and everything under control." We also need to embrace the poor one "inside" so that we have room for compassion "outside". The Gospel calls us to identify with the poor and crucified Christ and in our weakness we are strong. We are called to service for our less fortunate brothers and sisters, "But faith means giving away what we thought we didn't even have." It was a good journey through this book, just not exactly what I was anticipating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rohr as usual --- priceless!, July 29, 2007
This review is from: Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go (Paperback)
Richard Rohr certainly is among my five favorite Christian authors. Rohr is a priest, a preacher and a member of the Franciscan Order (OFM) within the Roman Catholic Church. He is both priceless and refreshing because he in a direct, forceful and honest way -- speaks the truth as he sees it. He doesn't view the Church as perfect, certainly not all its leaders. He is a consistent critic of the present capitalistic economic system. And, he points out the failings in socialism.

Although this book is entitled "Simplicity." only the last chapter really is devoted to that subject consistently.

Apparently the book is based on a series of talks Rohr gave in Germany and Switzerland in the late eighties.

The varioius chapters range from Christians being active in transforming society, to women's place in the church, to how the Church needs to save itself.

An example of speaking plainly, clearly and directly: "Chrisitian nations are among the greediest and the most intent on security of any in the world, while they maintain that Jesus is their Lord and their security."

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME READ!!!!!, August 12, 2008
This review is from: Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go (Paperback)
I have been reading about Simplicity for a little over a year and have found that practicing Simplicity truly enriches your life. This book has to be one of the best books I have read on Simplicity! Richard Rohr is right on target when he speaks about simplicity and the condition of America...and when he addresses the church in America! I found this book to be very thought provoking, eye-opening, and this is quite a powerful book. This book also got me interested in the life and practice of Saint Francis, which lead me into other wonderful books. Richard Rohr is awesome and I was truly blessed by this book. I think people who are truly on the spiritual path tend to be lead into Simplicity and this book will truly be beneficial to all seekers of truth!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book club or study group material, October 12, 2008
Elaine Scholl-iglecia (Virginia Beach, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go (Paperback)
This book was the selection for the Fall book club at our church. Although I was expecting more of a "how-to" format, I found it to be provocative and engaging. This is the kind of book which not only causes me to think but actually makes me want to make changes in my life. Being a Roman Catholic from the cradle and female, I am surprised that Rohr has been allowed to express such radical ideas about the church hierarchy and the position of women without being silenced by the church. It gives me great hope for my church to know that there are people like Rohr in positions of influence and authority who are openly expressing and promoting these kinds of ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Startling Insights, February 6, 2007
TRHaney (Harrisburg, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go (Paperback)
This book is a mind blower. Thea author pulls no punches. As when for example he calls bishops echo chambers of the Vatican. But there are profound and startling isights into the Christian spiritual life also. As for example when he says the Incarnation has nothing to do with theology but with vulnerability. For anyone wishing to enrich his or her spiritual life, this book is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity, May 8, 2012
This review is from: Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go (Paperback)
This is Robert Rohr at his very best. One striking example was his advice that we need to let go of three things: first, the compulsion to be successful, second, the compulsion to be right, and third, the need to be in control. This book is one which can easily be used as a 30 minute start for the day. The theme throughout deals with letting go.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I needed, November 26, 2010
This review is from: Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go (Paperback)
Very beautiful and profound writing. I have read it twice and will read it many times more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity is good., October 25, 2007
This review is from: Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go (Paperback)
I just finished this book tonight and would also recommend the lecture series by Rohr entitled "Letting Go: A Spirituality of Subtraction". This series will take you much deeper into simplicity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity for everyone, July 28, 2007
This review is from: Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go (Paperback)
Richard Rohr writes beautifully, provacatively, and movingly of what we need to do to live lives of meaning. Talk about a voice crying in the wilderness! I imagine some of what he says rattles more than a few conservative heads (both in the church and out), but no one will ever call him a 'rubber stamper" He invites you to look at yourself, at your beliefs and challenges you to become a better person. To do what Christ calls us to do.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go
Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go by Richard Rohr (Paperback - May 1, 2004)
$19.95 $16.25
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.