4,286
Simplisafe2 Wireless Home Security System 8-piece Plus Package
Price:$259.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 6, 2014
I have installed and have used this system for just a week so far, but I can say that everything when as anticipated from the product descriptions on the SimpliSafe website.

I ordered the system directly on the SimpliSafe website. I ordered a basic system package and many additional specific sensors to achieve the home alarm system that I wanted. and I received my complete order within just a few days. In addition, I realized that I had forgotten to order 2 additional sensors, ordered them that evening (separate order) and received these at the same time as the main system!

I did screw most sensors into window and door frames, but did rely on the adhesive only for the magnet section attached to the doors/windows themselves. I think that the adhesive would be adequate for most flat surfaces.

I did do all of the system setup through the MyAccount feature on the SimpliSafe website, rather than the supplied installation wizard on the keychain remote. This was because this was my preference (I'm a PC kind of guy), and I did not even try the wizard.

The instructions were clear and the voice prompts through the base station make setup practically idiot-proof.

I elected the $25/month service and am able to access the system through an iPhone app along with the website. I am also getting e-mails and SMS alerts for system activity....we are first-time alarm system users at home and this is giving me a level of confidence that all is going well. I'll probably discontinue all but alarm alerts shortly.

The Pros:

No contract!
Half the monthly expense of the "name-brand" wired systems
Add or remove components to the system at any time.

The Cons:
Integrated camera not available -From what I understand from their website SimpliSafe plans to release this product in the near future.

All in all I give the system 5 stars and recommend it to home users.
on March 5, 2014
I have installed this system twice now and this one is for my Guns and Ammo business. I absolutely love the ease of installation and the selection of sensors available. The customer service is outstanding as well as there correspondence. The features available with this system is equal to any of the top security companies for a whole lot less. I have no regrets or wish I had's from buying this system.
on March 4, 2014
First and foremost, this is an excellent DIY system. Ease of use and programming via the wizard and keychain remote is wonderful! The growth aspect of this system is a big plus.

I elected to install the entry sensors on all doors with provided screws. I like the tape provided, but I don't trust it from the false alarm perspective. My alarm is installed in a mountain cabin that experiences BIG temperature changes.

The motion sensors require a bit more thought regarding sensitivity and placement. My cabin has a stem wall underneath and the heating vents are installed in the floor (not the ceiling like many houses or apartments). If you orient the sensors in the normal upright mode, they look down at a 45 degree angle. Using the integral test mode, I discovered that they may activate erroneously when the heat comes on in a cold house. Based on the feedback data provided on the website, I reinstalled the sensors 4' from the floor (to intercept intruders at the waist or chest) and flipped them upside down (so the beam pointed level to 45 degrees up). That helped appreciably. I also played with the sensitivity switch located in the battery compartment and set all my sensors to L (low). They are shipped with the switch set in the midrange position between high and low. I noticed no real degradation between medium and low except an increased "persistence" in sensitivity, detection range did not seem adversely effected in my house.

Regarding monitoring, I had to disable mine as there is no T-Mobile support outside of big metropolitan areas in my state (AZ). Simply put, I would jump on the monitor option even if it were $20 a month if you could negotiate a deal with carriers like Verizon that actually provide excellent cell phone coverage in rural areas. Further, when I disable monitoring, I wouldn't have expected to get a "can't connect with dispatcher" prompt on my keyboard unit. That alerts any visitors that view your keypad that your alarm is not fully functional.

Finally, when I use my keychain remote to arm or disarm the system from outside my home, I have no feedback as to whether the command "took". This drawback is the single reason I gave 4 stars. This really needs to be fixed. As an engineer, I would not necessarily change the keychain remote. Rather, I would add an additional add-on product (like a freeze sensor or a water sensor) that annunciates the state of the alarm system from the base station given the inherent growth of the base module from an I/O perspective. A simple visual sensor that reflects a command change for two seconds would suffice (and not reflect the current state of the alarm system on a continual basis). If this sensor could be placed in a window or near a door panel, it would greatly improve the utility of the system and confidence of the user. Given that such a device is reasonable in price, I would purchase this in a minute.

All in all, this system is a great value for the money. Kudos to the development team. If I can help evaluate prototypes or beta software in the future, please let me know.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 3, 2014
Everything arrived, installed and works well. The price is great. I think there could be a bit more instructions for activating the system.
on March 1, 2014
1. Simplisafe was recommend by several radio programs that I listen to and trust.
2. It was easy to install. The molding around the door frames, however, did not make it convenient to install entry sensors. It also was not obvious to me what the arrow on the side of the entry sensor was for. At first, I thought it indicated that the module had to be mounted with the arrow pointing up. Subsequently, I determined by experimentation, that it worked either way and decided that the arrow probably referred to the battery inside.
3. It is active now (two days) and all sensors communicate with the base station. We have not signed up for monitoring yet. I knew that we didn't have to, but the directions for installation almost make it seem as if you must. They do not indicate that you have an option and that the system will work without monitoring. Additionally, the smart phone features require a higher monthly fee which isn't obvious from the advertising. (Still, this higher fee is less than we were paying in our last house for ADT.)
4. I like the computer set up and the use of the remote as a way to easily program/reprogram the base station for changing codes, adding/subtracting sensors, changing delays for exit and entry before setting the system, adjusting the volume of the base station voice cues from off to high, etc.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 20, 2014
The keypad display is very small and hard to see also does not display the zone that is violated. MAJOR PROBLEM
The motion sensor (small pet) will work for 3 or 4 days then will set off alarm for no reason, I WILL TURN MOTION
DECTOR UPSIDE DOWN, I hope this will fix this problem. The master station in setting on my bed, head board
I have 4 ea motion sensors, 1ea in enclosed porch,1ea in garage,1ea in the enclosed pattio and
1ea in work shop. 1 ea big siren garage and 1 ea located under the eve outside the pattio.. 1 ea entry sensor on gate.
I do not have the alarm monitoring service, because of 30 second delay,then service calls you for safe word,then
calls 911 this could add up to 45 to 60 secons. In 3 seconds i can be firing deadly shots then call 911
I use the keychain remote to turn system on and off.
Draw a floor plan and mark areas to be monitored, then make a list of equipment required.
When installing the system mount units temporaly because you will be moving most of it to get in correct place.
The inst. manual has a lot to be desired you have to read between the lines. for inst, the keychain remote is
shown on page 1 but does not describe it's functions.
I bought the basic unit then purchased additional equipment.
Mibway
on February 20, 2014
Disclaimer: I did not purchase my Simplisafe system on Amazon, I bought it directly from the Simplisafe website.

I'm a long term electronics technician. While I'm not an alarm installer, I have installed alarm systems in the past. My current home is large and the layout makes it very difficult to install a wired alarmed system. I had never tried a wireless system and truly fretted installing a glitchy wireless system which would eat batteries. I would not consider a wireless alarm system because of preconceived notions and concerns about instabilities.

I saw the Simplisafe system advertised so I went to Amazon to read the reviews. The reviews looked good but some of the negative comments scared me a little. For example, people said the system is not for a large home. What does that mean? What do they consider large? Would my basement door sensor ever be detected through the tile floor? Would the system give false alarms during thunderstorms?

Well, I decided to give the system a try. I'm glad I did, it was by far the easiest alarm system I have ever installed. No wires, just think about where you want the sensor, clean the spot on the trim with alcohol, then peel and stick.

All the sensors I purchased with the base station came pre-installed in the system, what a nice touch. Initially I had a problem where one of the sensors wasn't responding. The system would give a verbal warning that one of the sensor was not responding. I called Simplisafe and the very polite customer service person advised me to move the base station from behind the TV because of possible interference. I did, but again the there was a sensor which was not responding. So I looked up the sensor then traveled around the house looking for it. It was not to be found. Then I solved the mystery, I had failed to install one of the sensors (it was still in the box) so it never became active and wasn't detected by the base station. It was my mistake.

The system works flawlessly. I moved the base station to the third floor and it has no problems detecting the basement sensors.

This system even allows the user to put a sensor on a closet, refrigerator, or liquor cabinet so that even when the alarm is off, if anyone opens the door with the sensor, it immediately sends a text to phone number(s) of your choice. I have a locked closet at with a gun locker in it. If that door is opened for any reason, the alarm system contacts me via text. Also when the system is armed or disarmed, I receive a text which tells me who disarmed the system. The pass code it tied to a name.

You can add sensors at any time. My system has a panic button, door sensors, motion sensor, glass break sensors, smoke and carbon monoxide sensors. There are approximately 30 sensors in my home and it all works flawlessly.

It's a very well designed system and it works very well. Don't hesitate to give it a try, I wish I hadn't been so fearful of a wireless system and tried it sooner.
on February 18, 2014
This is a great system. It is worth spending the time to attach everything with screws. I think that is one of the most important things to do. I would recommend also as your package arrives to take the extra siren batteries off (if you ordered it) as it may go off if it is not installed and synced with the station. Put batteries in just when ready to install. Spend the time to study where to set the motion sensors and the other type of sensors as this is key. The most sensitive will be the motions sensors that should be at 4-6ft height to detect humans properly and not pointed to heat sources or windows, ideally in a corner and oriented in the direction opposed to the windows. This is key to not have false alarms in the future.
I can say that the client support is exceptional, I used the support email. All tips and questions were responded timely. My system is the full most complete one (all sensor types), with smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector, flood detector, etc. It integrates seamlessly and the phone application is very responsive and useful. I bought the interactive monitoring and you can turn on/off the alarm remotely, set it up in Home or Away mode also. You can also monitor the status of the sensors and receive SMSs and email messages.
This works great. With this package you can also change the setting on your system online from your Simplisafe account. No more carrying the USB remote stick from the alarm to the computer and back. I found that being very useful.
I think it is one of the best systems out there and the good is that it is an alternative to the big guys which have so hidden fees and a pushy sales practice and many still require wires. Way to go Simplisafe!
on February 14, 2014
SimpliSafe forgot to include the keypad with the original shipment but sent it next day air. The system was simple to install and works great. I would recommend it to a friend.
on February 9, 2014
Initially I had no connection to the SimpliSafe system, so I hooked up a land line to the base station and got connected.

I called tech support and received a SIM card especially for Verizon (my wireless company), but I still could not get the base station to pick up a wireless signal, even though I show two bars on my cell phone at the location where the base station is located. I called tech support a second time and we tried other locations in the house where I also have a land line connection. All to no avail.

I would think that the base station ought to establish a wireless connection if my cell phone can.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations