My review pertains to the Simply Music program, not this particular product alone. In fact, the books the program uses are current as of 2012, and I see this book is from more than 10 years ago. I couldn't find anything else on Amazon connected to the program, though, so here is where I'll review.

I am currently taking lessons from a Simply Music teacher. This is one of those play-songs-on-the-first-day kinds of programs. You literally do play songs at your first lesson. The emphasis is on playing musically in a non-threatening yet challenging environment. The music covers all genres -- jazz, classical, gospel, pop, you name it.

At first, I resisted this non-traditional concept. I took lessons as a child, but only until about age 8, when my mother got sick of my complaining. I tried again in my 30s, when I took three years of classical training -- scales, arpeggios, etc. I quit in frustration because, by that time, I knew what the music was supposed to sound like, and I couldn't make it happen. The perfectionist in me was chafing.

Now that I've had four months of Simply Music lessons, I have to say that I see the beauty of "letting the keyboard guide you," rather than slavishly decoding notes and staffs. I have yet to see whether this method can get me over my long-standing hump -- that of being unable to read the bass clef, as I'm a flute player who learned only the treble clef in my youth -- but for now I'm just having fun. I practice the music in the books, but I also have been emboldened to print out easy piano music from the web, music that I've always loved (Chopin, Mozart, opera arias) and can apply what I'm learning on a basic level. It's musical, it's satisfying and it's a challenge I can meet using a step-by-step method like Simply Music.

If you can find a Simply Music teacher, don't hesitate to sign up! This is a non-threatening method that truly makes learning -- and playing -- the piano enjoyable.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again