4.0 out of 5 stars sweet
Published on September 24, 2011 by Pre-Paid Premium Shipping

1.0 out of 5 stars Organic doesn't always mean quality.
Published on September 8, 2010 by dd

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Organic doesn't always mean quality., September 8, 2010
This review is from: Simply Organic Cinnamon Ground Certified Organic, 2.45-Ounce Containers (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
There are 4 primary sources for cinnamon used in cooking. Ceylon cinnamon is "true" cinnamon and is not toxic, the Saigon, Cassia and Burmannii contain high amounts of coumarin (1200x the amount of ceylon) a toxic compound that affects the nervous system. Simply organic uses the latter of the four because it is cheap do to having an extremely low oil content. Basically it is junk. If your cinnamon is bitter and not sweet (and this is) it is toxic. So just because it is "organic" does not mean it is good for you. I bought some hoping that it was right because none label their sources and am severely disappointed. On a side note the same is true of imitation vanilla having dangerously high amounts of coumarin from using the Tonka do to the fact it contains a lot of vannillan.

4.0 out of 5 stars sweet, September 24, 2011
I'm surprised that all the reviews here are not positive. This cinnamon is the best I've tasted out of 4 varieties, including McCormick's Saigon and roasted Saigon. This is the first organic cinnamon I've had. Without trying more varieties, I can't say it's the best, but it very sweet compared to the others I've tried. It's good enough to eat on plain bread so that you really taste the flavor. I would recommend this to anyone.

To those who mentioned they thought this product contained something harmful, you did not get that information from the product's page, because it states exactly what type of cinnamon is in the bottle, and it's not the kind you are worried about. Check your facts!

UPDATE: The second bottle I tried of this did not taste as flavorful as the first, so this inconsistency can explain why some people say it barely tastes at all while others are saying it is flavorful enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Taste, May 11, 2010
I bought this at my local grocery store. I now have it bagged to go back for a refund of my money. It has a horrible flavor - sort of how you would expect a pine tree and cinnamon to taste if they were ground together. I smelled it after I had decided to take it back, and it doesn't even smell like normal cinnamon. It has a medicinal smell. You can smell the cinnamon, but there is something else there that is not pleasant.

I will never by this product again, and I wouldn't advise anyone else to buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Concerned for the consumer, August 27, 2012
I did some research on just exactly what kind of "cinnamon" is actually used in this product because I became concerned when I read a few of the reviews. Eight paragraphs down on the Simply Organics website they state that they use Korintje (Cinnamomum burmanii). To quote the website "The most commonly found cinnamon in American kitchens is Indonesian cassia. It is sourced from higher elevations and is harvested a bit earlier than Chinese and Vietnamese cinnamons. Korintje translates as "thick quill" and is judged for quality based on the part of the tree that is harvested (trunk vs. branch) and on the length of the bark peeled from the tree. We bring you the highest quality Korintje cinnamon available."

So they DO use Cassia and not the Ceylon, true cinnamon. They also state that Cassia and Cinnamon are not the same, they start with that. Then they end the product description explaining all the health benefits of TRUE CINNAMON, not the Cassia that they are really selling you. I really wish I had known that they used the Cassia, because I would not have bought it. And I do realize that they are trying to confuse you, the consumer into thinking that their product is really good for you. This is why everyone should research the products that they use and inform themselves of what they are consuming!

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars LOTS of Cinnamon... yum :-), September 9, 2010
Cinnamon is, by far, my favorite flavor. I put cinnamon, lots of cinnamon, on most foods. What I love about this item is that you get 3 decent size containers of cinnamon. Plus it's organic! Plus it comes in glass containers! I'm refilling the empty containers with other spices/herbs to minimize my dependence on plastics. HIGHLY recommend this cinnamon!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinnamon for Health, June 11, 2012
I received three bottles as advertised. The shipment arrived and the packaging was very securely done with bubble wrap to protect the glass bottles. The product is used a mental health supplement daily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinnamon, January 6, 2012
Simply grand. I'm happy I don't have to worry about running out anytime soon and having to go to the store to get more. This is a fairly big jar and will last you quite awhile. I've had it a few weeks and it's not even 1/4 gone yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Certified Organic Cinnamon, December 26, 2011
MIKE RYAN (PERKINSTON, MS, US) - See all my reviews
The name says it well, as does the taste. This is so much better than the supermarket varieties it's unreal. Mix this in equal porportions with the organic honey and slather generously on bread, toast, muffins, etc., for a neat sweet treat that's hard to beat-and it's really good for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, February 10, 2010
We love this cinnamon! We bought a 3 pack for an awesome price! You will not be able to find ORGANIC cinnamon for a better price anywhere else on the internet - believe me, I checked!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best but ok., January 27, 2010
I like the fact that it is organic but the spiciness is not there. I perfer the Sagion cinnamon because of its flavor. This cinnamon is mildly spicy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›