Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Flavor: Garlic Powder|Change
Price:$4.76+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on December 9, 2013
I just learned the hard way that buying organic spices does NOT mean you aren't getting the wonderful maltodextrin and silicon dioxide. This garlic powder does in fact have silicon dioxide in it. I used it once today before I read the ingredients online. Waste of $5. I guess it's my own fault but in my defense I did check the label on the bottle first which states "organic garlic" as the only ingredient. When you go to the garlic info page it contains about 10 paragraphs about garlic and at the very bottom they mention they add it to their organic garlic powder because it's FDA approved. Funny how it's tucked way at the bottom of an unnecessary novel about garlic, almost as if they hope you don't notice....Anyway, shame on them. Won't use any of their products ever again.

[...]

**Update** I've emailed the customer service department and got a response. They're insisting they don't put fillers in their products unless it's stated on the label. They said they do use some fillers but only products that say so on the label. I don't believe them for a very simple reason...they only sell 1 kind of garlic and it's the bottle I purchased (they sell 2 sizes but they're both the same organic garlic powder and neither contain anything on the label besides "organic garlic"). On their own website that you can see with the link I provided above, you can see way down at the bottom where they state that they do use fillers in their garlic. If they only sell 1 kind and they admit they add fillers to their garlic, then which garlic do they add it to if not to the one I bought? So I did some google research and it seems that siclicon dioxide and other products can be added to a product and not labeled if it's done in a way that the addition can be considered a "processing aid" instead of a regular filler. I brought this to their attention in a response to their email but to my great surprise (lol) I got no response. I'm not a detective or an FDA-labeling expert. Here's what I do know: They sell 1 form of garlic in 2 sizes, I bought the larger bottle. My label says "organic garlic" and nothing else. Their website states they add fillers to their garlic. I can find no other garlic products they sell besides the one I purchased. They haven't responded to my response asking for further clarification. To me, it's better to be safe than sorry. It definitely seems like they're taking advantage of lax labeling requirements.

When I buy organic, I expect to know what's in my product. Since there's so much extra cost and red tape with organic products, you'd like to think the company you're buying from realizes that you're jumping through hoops to make sure you know exactly what's in your food. And when I find a company who seems to take whatever shortcuts they can just to make more money even if it includes adding poison to my organic food, that company clearly doesn't want my business.
1717 comments| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2013
So disappointed to find out that this garlic powder is from China. I use this brand of organic spices exclusively, and
not sure why I never thought about inquiring further about the country of origin for the garlic powder. I suppose it was an irrational assumption that all organic foods are from "safe" countries that produce foods free of toxins. I've always avoided buying any food items from China because of all the problems with toxins/pesticides in the food supply there...but apparently you can't depend on the organic food companies to print the country of origin on the label (btw, you can go directly to Simply Organic's website and look up the country of origin for the garlic powder). It's odd that finding organic garlic powder grown/made in the U.S.A. is such an ordeal...when Gilroy, California is the "garlic capitol" of the world?! I've discovered that most organic spice companies (e.g. Starwest, SpicesInc., etc.) import their garlic powder from China. SpicesInc does have non-organic garlic powder from California but not organic. I believe the same is true of organic onion powder too (most of it is imported from China). Lesson learned: do your homework about where the organic food comes from, especially if you're concerned about products from China.
1212 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2013
I did not like this chili powder, but that is a personal preference. It has that "earthy" flavor of carne adovada that some people really like, but I did not. I prefer a more classical chili powder. It is definitely stronger than store bought chili powder, which I usually like. But this one has allspice and cloves, and I just didn't like the flavor it gave. Overall, however, I love the Simply Organic brand. I purchased other spices and they are very good.
This product is high-quality, organic, ground nutmeg. Its aroma is wonderful, and that flavor will be well preserved because it comes in a glass bottle. Glass is inert, meaning that unlike either a plastic bottle or a plastic-coated metal bottle, it does not leach chemicals which are both toxic and taint the flavor of a spice.

I use nutmeg frequently for Indian cooking, cookies and pastries, and this particular brand adds a terrific flavor.

I was very surprised to learn that my local supermarket does not carry nutmeg, which to me is a standard, essential spice. I was relieved to be able to find it on Amazon, and it was an extra, big bonus to discover the Simply Organic brand in this large size at a very good price.

I am very pleased with this purchase and would buy this product again.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 20, 2014
You miss your dentist? The smell will remind you quickly the numbing medicine your dentist used to use not long ago.
Get this bottle of ground cloves...it is really potent and spicy.
Use sparingly...in recipes that require ground cloves or just for the feel and effect of cloves.

It wakes you up more so than a fresh cup of coffee.
Is your life boring and needs some excitement? Get this bottle of cloves. It is a sure way to reach some heightened sense of being. Yes, it is also organic and contains "eugenol", a known powerful anti-oxidant.
VINE VOICEon May 17, 2013
I use this brand of spice now and no other brand. It is fragrant and the ingredients seem to be more pure than other brands I have used. I use the black pepper also and will stay with this brand.
on January 31, 2014
There is a ‘must read’ article by Food Babe: [...]
Virtually all conventional spices sold in the United States are fumigated [sterilized] with hazardous chemicals that are banned in Europe.
- Contain Concentrated Toxic Pesticides
- Treated with hazardous chemicals
- Have reduced medicinal qualities
- Most are irradiated
- Contain GMO’s, synthetic Anti-caking agents, and/or chemical additives.
I never thought of any of this regarding spices. I think I am like most people who have spices that are decades old. I threw them all away and invested in the Simply Organics.
The tastes difference is amazing!!!! I feel much better about having organic spices that actually have medicinal qualities!
on April 24, 2014
Haven't been disappointed yet. Potent products that blow the supermarket competition away. And these "little" jars hold more than they appear to and spices stay fresh in reusable glass bottles.
on January 24, 2015
[24 Jan 2015] 1/5 stars. Expecting real nutmeg, but received faux nutmeg (California nutmeg), which has a slight odor of turpentine in high amounts (in the spice bottle, otherwise usually not noticeable). This products Amazon page claims "Ingredients Botanical Name: Myristica fragrans Houtt", but the bottle I received vaguely states, "Ingredients: Organic Nutmeg". I posted this as a question 2 weeks ago, with no response. A simple case of bait and switch. Bought this in Dec 2014 for 6.59, prime shipping.
on October 2, 2013
This is very potent and delicious, love sprinkling this on pizzas and over turmeric as it tones down the turmeric flavor. Also on potatoes, eggs, everything that isn't sweet. This is the only garlic powder I use as it tastes fantastic and is very potent.