Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Shop Now bgg

Simpsons Season One on Blu-Ray?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2007 10:28:35 AM PST
Possum Pete says:
Is this listing correct? And all on one disc?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2007 3:22:35 PM PST
H says:
I'll believe it when I see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2008 4:10:58 PM PST
What is that supposed to be? The Simpsons were not produced in hi-def in the first place, therefore a Blu Ray version does not make a lot of sense. It would be the same picture resolution as the previous DVD version. All they could do would be to upscale it, which would be cheating and would not make it look much better...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2008 11:04:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2008 11:06:53 PM PST
Seth Paul says:
Not necessarily. Whether this is a real listing or not (which might explain why it's taking so long for Season 11 to get released), the picture quality could be vastly improved, as long as it is taken from the original source tapes and not from an old syndication tape. Even if the resolution was kept at standard-def (720x480 lines of resolution as opposed to 1920x1080 high-def), the way things are compressed to Blu-Ray would result in a better image overall, since compression on a standard DVD can sometimes result in picture oddities (the infamous blocks that appear when things are moving quickly on-screen, for instance). I made a comparison between the Simpsons movie on both DVD and Blu-Ray, and even though the DVD does have a nice picture, there is a very noticeable difference between the two in sharpness of the picture and visible 'artifacts'...and this is hand-drawn animation, something you think wouldn't necessarily appear that much different between formats!

So, a Blu-Ray transfer would improve these classic episodes, even if they weren't made into true high definition resolution...just as long as they keep them in their original 1.33:1 TV aspect ratio. A friend of mine collects Dragonball Z, and the season box sets he bought take the original square TV picture and crop it to make the picture "widescreen." I hate when companies decide to start screwing with the picture just because they can, even if it means ruining the movie in the process. Just make the movie or show in the picture size in which it was intended to be viewed and we'll all be happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 1:25:33 AM PDT
This isn't a listing of a disc that WILL come out, it's of one that MAY come out. Amazon does this for a lot of films/DVDs where they have some reason to believe it's possible there'll be a future release, so if there is, they notify you and they get the sale. As Seth Paul says, they could get better if there's a better original tape. Or, maybe they originally put these on film, and then transferred to video. But I do sort of doubt there's much to do with the very, very old Simpsons. And the newer Simpsons are done on computer, so they're never placed on film/never rendered at that sort of resolution unless they've been really forward looking and happen to have done the last few years like they did the movie. I really, really doubt it though: it would have cost more to do them at that detail, and really, who would care...? I'm big on HD, but the Simpson's aren't a classic Disney cartoon with just amazing detail. That's not where they focus their attention.

Other old series that were recorded on film, like Buffy or the West Wing, have a lot more potential for improvement.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2008 7:59:05 AM PDT
I AM A.M. says:
I have to agree with you when I see old simpsons episodes in HD they look like Garbage and they are in the original format. I think that a HD version of the earlier seasons is a waste of money when they do it for the seasons they started filming in HD then it would be worth it. Also when they strech a picture to WS it can be done properly Family Guy on TBS is in HD WS and it looks perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2008 4:20:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2008 4:26:19 AM PDT
. says:
With the victory of the BrD against HD-DVD (even if 20th Century Fox have already chosen this format) it may be re-release on Blu-ray, money is money and business is business.
I'm a Simpsons fan, I got all the seasons came out on DVD and the BrD of the movie and I'll re-buy the seasons if they come out on this format for some reasons, better quality (they can do it even if it had never shot in HD first) and.... the entire season on 1 disc, see all episodes without changing disc. At home "The Simpsons" are played for hours, everybody down here love them!
Indeed the question is: WHEN??
With the strikes in Hollywood, CA I guess they took delay because of the bonus or something like that.
Maybe we can expect a re-release of the first season meanwhile the release of the 11th one on Blu-ray.
I hope as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 9:20:19 AM PST
shokwave says:
This is the dilemma with all new media you re-buy everything or just stick with what you've got? Based on the newest movie releases everything will be on Blu-Ray and Standard DVD. Maybe Season 12 will be the first to do that I don't know. What I also don't know is if I will every buy these on Blu-Ray. I guess I might as long they don't get fancy with the packaging again and have learned their lesson from Seasons 6-??

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 8:21:06 PM PST
O. Alvarez says:
Everyone seems to be forgetting the main thing which is not the quality of the videos(because the videos are near to the best quality) but the fact that blu-rays can hold 4 to 6 times more than DVDs. That means more room in your video shelf.

When I go out on trips I like to take my ps2 and simpsons dvds with me but 3 to 4 disc in each season takes up a lot of room, but if they change the simpsons to blu-ray format I will only have to carry my ps3 and 1 or 2 disc per season which would be very convenient!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2010 9:40:44 PM PST
Gerald says:
i acutally just downloaded season 9 of southpark which was rlsed on DVD broadcasted in in SD fullscreen and they made it HD same for shows like seinfeld now if tbs can upconvert seinfeld just think what they can do with original sources as the prior guy said BLURAY FTW o acutally mKv scene rulese

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 12:32:23 PM PDT
A. Champion says:
I'm all for putting Season One and every other pre-HD episode on Blu-Ray in all its crappy SD glory. Who needs four-disc sets when just one will do?

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 10:12:29 PM PDT
HHDUDE says:
Hey lil late but putting any show with alot 22 23 min eps on blu-ray
like 26 eps for standard dvd would propley be 4 disc with some
compression it's dual layerd too, now put the the same amount on
a Blu-ray release every thing hi def maybe 3 disc, BECAUSE
Theres allott more DATA to achive Blu ray can be a GREAT place for
STANDARD VIDEO so yes 13 eps of the Simpsons on 1 blu-ray disc
can work, FIT NICELY TOO but to Hidef those eps it will be about the same amount of disc. Dual Layer Blu ray would work out but doult that the dvd companies would spend that much for less disc space thks

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 8:36:22 PM PST
Ben Mutuc says:
I think it'll be great if they put it on Blu-ray. Just like they did with Dragon Ball Z - Level 1.1 [Blu-ray], it should be digitally restored frame by frame and include Dolby TruHD audio tracks.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 9:18:53 PM PDT
Mar057 says:
Please fox if you read this make a whole collection of the simpsons on blu ray!

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 2:42:03 PM PDT
MorningSciFi says:
To the guy who says old stuff can't be released on Blu-Ray:

Film is a high enough resolution to be shown on a movie theater screen--so re-scanning from the original print to hold up on your 1080p television is the norm. The only times when upscaling must occur is when standard def digital cameras were used to make the film, like 28 Days Later.

These fully restored classic cartoons have been restored for blu-ray:

Cinderella (1950)
Lady and the Tramp (1955)
Dumbo (1941)
Alice In Wonderland (1951)
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
Snow White (1937)
Bambi (1942)
Pinocchio (1940)

All those Disney blu-rays are genuinely in crisp 1080p. The audio will also be hugely improved (uncompressed), and in the case of the blu-ray release of Jaws, the audio was restored completely and sounds incredible.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2007
Latest post:  Aug 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Simpsons: The Complete First Season
The Simpsons: The Complete First Season by Dan Castellaneta (DVD - 2001)
4.5 out of 5 stars (768)