Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

on October 30, 2010
What is it? Hardback complete episode guide to the Simpsons. It has a sewn in book mark (the sign of high class real serious books). In fact, it might have been better as two hard back volumes.
Is it just a re-hash of the older published guides with some new stuff? NO! While there is some recycled stuff, there is new stuff which wasn't in the earlier guides, so even for seasons 1-10 there are new bits and pieces.
Besides the usual episode synopsis (1003 pages worth), writer-director-executive director-guest star credits, what else is there? (1) complete list of the Tracy Ullman shorts with brief descriptions and notable quotes, (2)detailed discussion of opening sequences - season 1, season 2-20, current opening, special xmas opening, post movie opening, billboard gag list, (3) list of couch gags and episode tags, (4) list of every time Homer says "D'Oh", (5) list of when Homer says "MMM...", (6) all of the church marquees,"Funeral Today: Homer Simpson's Vegas Wife", (7) Complete Itchy and Scratchy filmography by title and episode "Why Do Fools Fall in Lava?" and untitled clips, Itchy and Scratchy Movie, Itchy and Scratchy Radio show-musical-puppet show, Itchy and Scratchy Commercials, (8) List of all the crap Krusty sold out for and slapped his name "Krusty-O's",(9) Tribute to Troy McClure with complete list of all educational films/filmstrips, infomercials, TV shows, self help videos, and films "Here Comes the Coast Guard", (10) Lyrics to all of the songs sung in the show "We're sending our love down the well", "Dr. Zaius", (11) List of who does what voice - Dan Castellaneta has nearly 4 pages, (12)List of celebrity guest stars, Isabella Rossellini is between Charlie Rose and JK Rowling, (13) obsessive fan detailed index "Amy, cries like little girl 836"
Is it pricey? Yes, at $90 it is an expensive item, but probably worth it....If the shows runs another 10 years, I'm sure we'll be gouged for another a SupraUltimate Maxi Guide and I'll end up buying it as well - it is after all the greatest TV show ever.
44 comments88 of 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2010
I own the other episode guides as well and this makes my collection complete. My friends love to read through it and there is so much stuff in there I didn't know, it might take years before I read it all. I could only imagine what kind of effort went into making this book.. 1200 pages! If there was ever anything you ever wanted to know about The Simpsons, it's probably in this book.
0Comment30 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2010
Amazing. Comprehensive. Beautiful. It does exactly what it is designed to do, it makes me want to re-watch every episode with this on my lap.
0Comment29 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2010
This was the grand finale of the 20 year celebration of The Simpsons. This book has it all, the first 441 episodes and every couch gag, guest star, every "D'oh" and "Mmm..." Homer has ever said, and of course, a tribute to Troy McClure. If you are a Simpson fan, buy this book now, I saw it at a bookstore and it was $150 and it is only [...] on Amazon but I am sure that will change fast.
0Comment23 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2010
This is a huge tome full of anything you'd ever want to know about the world of the Simpsons. My only complaint being that the print is pretty small in most sections of the pages, so make sure you have a good set of glasses on hand. Otherwise, a very impressive effort. Well worth the money if you're a Simpsons fan. It's also pretty heavy so you'll be working out those biceps picking it up. You won't want to put it down.
on September 4, 2012
I bought this at a B&M retail store today (BN) for $20. There is no way I would fork out $100 or $150, but for $20 it's an amazing and fun centerpiece to all of your Simpson DVD & blu-ray sets. Filled with far more than any fan could ever ask for and a reference for the films producers, it is fun to look through and enjoy when you are watching the series. Now if only seasons 15-19 would come out on DVD so we could enjoy those too...Get it done!
on July 13, 2012
I was fortunate enough to catch Barnes and Nobles sale of this book for a measly $15. Yes, $15. At that price, there was no way I couldn't get this book... even if I HATED The Simpsons. But, being a huge Simpson fan, I got it for me, rather than to buy and sell for a huge profit. Eh. Even though that wouldn't have been too bad of an idea.

So why 4 stars? One reason. And ONLY one reason. The book is TOO BIG. It would have been a much better idea for Harper to have made this a set of two volumes (10 seasons a piece) so that the book could be read somewhat comfortably. With this book as it is -- 1200 freakin' pages -- it's basically impossible to read it comfortably unless you are sitting down at a table. I know it seems unfair to knock a star off for something like that, but it's just a bit too inconvenient for me.

This book really does have it ALL for the first twenty seasons of the show. Episode synopses, several lines from each episode, "In Case You Missed It" sections, information on specific characters, and WAY more... including a list of Itchy and Scratchy episodes, The Simpsons Tracy Ullman short synopses, Homer's "Mmm's" and "D'oh!"s, and a lot more.

Also, as many people have already stated, the content for early seasons that are already in episode guide form aren't copied and pasted here -- there are a few different informational tidbits, pictures, quotes, and more. For the price I got it, there was no reason for me not to get it. At its standard price of -- I believe -- $150, that seems expensive, but even then you get a LOT for your money. The average Simpson fan may not even read this whole book in his/her lifetime... but I'll definitely get around to it. It's a fantastic go-to book when you want to look up a specific episode, or if you just want to read along as you watch the episodes on DVD. Oh yeah... it smells really good too. Mmm... new book smell...

Really flawless in all aspects, but as I said, the book is too big for its own good.
0Comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2011
As a Simpsons fan, owning this book is like owning a medieval handwritten codex. It's a guide to our world, to our parallel existance, a bedside companion to perfect our knowledge of the simpsonic religion. Perfectly edited I'm sure it will become a jewel for both fans and bookkeepers. Now I just need time and patience to go over the 1200 pages, study them by heart and spread the word all around. In Homer we trust.
on August 17, 2011
Essential for any fan of the quasi-classic sitcom. Gives even the most ardent fan of the show a comprehensive, step by step insider's look at the show. All the bits, hidden to overt at your finger tips. Could not put it down(at least with out the aid of a hi-lo for fear of blowing out my back) due to it's massive size and weight. A gym membership would be well considered before lifting this humongous book in all it's gloriously red colored, bloated splendor. Even has beautifully crafted paper wrapped cardboard box to protect this most significant literary work. (Cheesy, Matt Groening had to have a hand in it's design) I being the most loyal Simpson maniac you'll ever find found myself laughing out loud all by my lonesome as I perused the unending pages of satirical insanity. Simply put, if you are a Simpsons fanatic like me this is an absolute must have. The only book even on plane with this as far as social importance and relevance might be The Bible...maybe!
on December 25, 2010
I was skeptical when I heard about this book, but after getting it for Christmas today I wanted to post my first review ever on amazon because of it. If you fancy yourself a Simpsons fan and find yourself slipping even the most random, obscure quotes into your everyday speech, this book is for you. I can't even imagine the effort it took to put this together, but nearly every piece of information you could want to know is in here. The tribute to Troy is a great example of the book's depth. I will be proud to have this on my coffee table for years and years. I am not normally into commemorative collectors items, but this is something quite different and more functional and enjoyable. Get it, you won't regret it.