5.0 out of 5 stars COMPACT AND LIGHT WEIGHT
Published on May 4, 2010 by Jaycee

1.0 out of 5 stars Do you really need a converter like this?
Having gone through part of the reviews here, I guess some users might have misunderstood the application of this converter.

Published on February 15, 2011 by OKY

5.0 out of 5 stars COMPACT AND LIGHT WEIGHT, May 4, 2010
This review is from: Simran 1875 Watts International Travel Voltage Converter For 110V USA Products In 220V/240V Countries. Ideal for Hair Dryers, Phone, iPod, Camera Chargers and Shavers Etc. Model SM-1875 (Electronics)
A very compact and lightweight converter to carry while travelling overseas. I have used it with my battery, cellphone and camcorder chargers. Also I have used it with my Shaver and toothbrush. I have owned it for two years and have used it on my trips to Europe and Asia. It has a thermal fuse which protects it from overheating. It is very reliable and has never failed on me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Product !, August 4, 2010
I cannot deal with a bad hair day. Even while travelling I must carry my own hair dryer & hair straightner. This converter worked great for me while holidaying in Europe & Asia. As per instructions I used it on the High setting for both the Items. It also worked great with my husband's shaver & iPhone on the Low setting. We were impressed that such a lightweight converter, worked so well for all our gadgets. We highly recommend this converter for travellers.

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works, January 21, 2010
I've been using this model of travel converter for over 5 years, traveling all over the world. I have only a few 110V US items that I carry with me, the most important to me is an RCR123a battery charger. It has yet to fail me. I use just an adapter (not a converter) for my laptops and other items that have power supplies capable of handling 100-240 Volts at 50 or 60 Hz.

I paid $25 for mine, so the shipping charge doesn't seem terribly out of line. I would like to get it for less, of course.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do you really need a converter like this?, February 15, 2011
OKY (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews

If you want to use your ELECTRONIC devices operated with a rechargeable battery (such as your iPhone, cell phone, ipod, ipad, laptop, digital camera) in a foreign country, you don't need to bother, because nearly all these electronic products are designed today to be completed with a battery charger suitable for a voltage range from 100V to 240V; in other words, people travel around with these electronic items, so these items should work properly at any voltage anywhere in the world. Whatever you have and wish to use in a foreign country, just carefully check the marking on the battery charger about the voltage rating ... if the voltage rating is printed or embossed as "100-240V", then don't worry, you can use your devices without such a converter. The only you should check is if you will need a plug adapter in that country, because there are quite many types of power plugs in the world. For example, if your laptop's battery charger has a U.S. type power plug, you cannot plug it directly into a wall socket in Australia or in the U.K., since the pins and the slots do not match.

I also brought with me two laptop's, a cell phone and an SRL digital camera from China (at 220/240V) and have been using them here in the U.S. (at 110V) for almost half a year ... everything is okay as perfectly as they worked in China, because the battery chargers can work at any voltage from 100V to 240V.

However, if you want to use an ELECTRICAL item operated under alternating current (like a hair dryer, steam iron), you will need such a converter, so that your electrical item for 110V can be used at foreign voltage 220/240V. If you don't, your electrical item will get burned from voltage break-down. Some products sold in the U.S. are completed with a rechargeable battery (electrical toothbrushes, for example), but the voltage rating of the battery charger is subject to 110V, meaning that the battery can be charged at 110V only. So if you need to use such an electrical item outside the U.S. at 220/240V, such a converter will be necessary.

I ordered this converter for my parents who are going to travel in China, as they'd like to bring a water flosser with them and that is absolutely an electrical item. I received this in a good condition, but couldn't find a better manual than the brief instruction on the box. The quality should be okay as it has adequate weight. Hope my parents would say yes to its quality after they use it.

Update on 04-28-11:
According to my parents, this converter does not work with a water flosser in China. It is too weak, and there is no water flush generated from the water flosser even at the 'HIGH' position of the converter.
It was a waste of money. I would not recommend this product.
I reduced the rating from 4 down to 1 star, because this listing is misguiding people to:
1). buy an unnecessary accessary for their cell phone, iPod and camera ("Ideal for Hair dryers, iPods, Phones, Camera" ... this is the decription from the listing);
2). think that this converter can be used with items working at 50-1875W.

1.0 out of 5 stars You need to understand what you need the converter to do, June 15, 2012
I think , The guy that said Do you really need a converter like this, is right on track.

By even allowing this item to be listed and sold, in my opinion Amazon is letting us, the consumer down. It is clear to me Amazon`s master is the seller. And in my opinion this seller is marketing a product that can't possibly live up to the description. It would take magic.
This device weighs 1 pound!

Since the picture is poor and the supporting information is almost non-existent all you have is the description, plus your own intuition.
Recognize this devices has two parts one for the power coming in (220V at about 9 amps) and one for the power going out, 120 V at about 18 amps. This about the same power a circuit from a breaker in a modern house, 20A.

I am puzzled by the people that say they used a hair dryer with the convertor. I casually looked at the 5 star ratings, most don't indicate the amount of power used by the hair dryer, or most of the other devices.
We read theses reviews and, well, depending on how bad we want the device to be good, we will often disreguard the complainers and the bad reviews.
We neeed to pay closer attention.

I didn't see a positive review that gave specifics for power used. This would make a person think the 5 star reviews probably used, well a lot of the advertised power available, but who knows? But once you read Do you really need a converter like this, you can understand what the reviewers are using is small amounts of power.

Calling this thing an adapter confuses most people, it causes them to think of their cell phone charger or lap top charger. A big laptop charger is 200 watts. Most are smaller. 1800 watts is 9 times the power of a laptop charger! That is like using a 1500w space heater in your house, continuously.

This device weighs 1 pound!

The disclaimer is interesting, it says Do not use with Hair Straightners, kitchen appliances, power tools, computers or TVs.

This device is a step down transformer.

Both parts must be rated for 1800 watts each. That would be the power input side and the power output side. It is hard to imagine a step down transformer rated for continus operation of 1800 watt step down transformer with the size of a laptop charger. This device needs to be constructed with a transformer made with copper and steel. It will require a strong case and will be big enough it will benefit from a carrying handle. Does that sound like the 1800watt converter?
Pick up something beside a heater, that is rated for 1800 watts and see how heavy it is. The more power used, the more weight that is required.
This device is the same principal as a car battery charger. 1800w would be about a 150 amp battery charger. This is the kind that has wheels and a handle because it is so big and heavy.

This device weighs 1 pound!

Search Amazon for something like "Voltage Converter Transformer" or "Step Up/Down Voltage Transformer Converter" don't search on the watts until you get the description right. The items I found look like they are universal, they will accept 220v in and give 110V out, or accept 110 V in and give 220V out.
These devices weight a lot more that 1 pound, a lot more!

The comment by the consumer trying to recharge the ibot vacuum, tells the whole story. The Simran Convertor fails when using 33 watts, less than 5% of the rated power output and the seller says it is the consumers fault.
Based on all of the positive reviews- the Simran Convertor should have worked for the Ibot vacuum, I suspect the Simran Convertor was defective, But was that the fault of the consumer?

The seller will not back up the product - what else do you need to know in order to decide if this product will work for you?

Amazon allows the seller to continue to sell this product. I wonder Why?

I guess it is buyer beware.
Rick

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better, July 9, 2010
David W. Stewart (Grand Prairie, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I bought two of these just before leaving for Spain. The reviews said they could be used all over the world, and I guess that's true, but not without added hardware. The three drawbacks I found: 1) At least in Spain, the plugs are recessed. I had to borrow and eventually purchase adapters that these converters plug into so the plugs could reach the outlets. 2) These come with no instructions. They have two settings, high and low. I assumed (and had read in a review) that if you are using a high current item, put the setting on high. Problem is, nobody thought to change the setting to low for low current items. I burned out my Oral B toothbrush charger because I left it in high mode. After burning it out, I tested another low current charger, and it got hot as a firecracker soon after plugging it in with high mode selected. Seems like there should be an automatic switching mechanism, or at least clear instructions on what the ranges are so you can know when to switch. 3) I should have noticed before I purchased, but they have no ground plug. I had planned to take power strips and plug them into the converter so that more than one low current item could be charged (phones, iPods, etc). With no ground plug, my grounded power strips (and they are all grounded) could not be used. We got by, but it was aggravating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great in China, May 31, 2010
Great product. We took this converter to Shanghai, China (May 2010) and it worked great. We stayed in a Chinese hotel, Motel 168, for 9 days and my wife used this converter constantly with her hairdryer. We also used it to charge up our Nintendo DS and an eBook reader. For the hairdryer we turned the switch to "Hi" and for the other electronics we turned it to "lo." Remember to do that or you might destroy some of your electronics if you have it set to "Hi."

We were able to plug this converter right into the Chinese outlets. No adapter needed.

Our laptop did not need this converter. We plugged our laptop into the outlets using an adapter, no converter needed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after a few use, April 8, 2011
It worked for a few times when I used it in China for a baby monitor as following the instruction. But then it "popped" with smoke and burned my baby monitor! I bought it from a local store not Amazon. But for sure this product is not reliable and do not recommend it as it could damage your electric items if it fails.

3.0 out of 5 stars Know the limitations of this Travel Voltage Converter and don't get burned, September 30, 2013
The Amazon description for this product (Simran 1875 Watts International Travel Voltage Converter SM-1875) says: "Ideal for Hair Dryers, Phone, iPod, Camera Chargers and Shavers Etc." But except for the hair dryer, most appliances listed don't even need to use a voltage converter overseas. Check with the hotel of your destination to see if your room is already equipped with a hair dryer. If that is the case, you'll have two less items to pack for your trip.

This 'travel voltage converter' is actually two different converters built into one package. At `LO' setting (0-50W), it uses a small AC transformer to convert 220V sinusoidal waveform into 110V sinusoidal waveform. This is the preferred approach which works well for any low-power electronic appliance. One obvious limitation is that the appliance's power consumption must be under 50W (most laptop computer's AC adapters are rated for 90W or higher, by the way). If you connect a higher-power appliance to this converter at LO setting, the transformer's iron core will become saturated. This results in runaway input current, which may then cause overheating.

At `HI' setting (up to 1875 Watt), the converter simply uses an electronic switch to 'chop' the 220V sinusoidal input voltage into smaller segments, such that the average power delivered to output load is reduced. This is the same principle used by most incandescent lamp dimmers. It works reasonably well for simple HEATING appliances, such as travel irons or hair dryers. But if you try to power any electronic appliance that is rated for 110V-only at this setting, the high-voltage stress will likely cause the appliance to break down and burn out within seconds!

This is not to say that this product is completely useless, only that you have to be EXTREMELY careful about what you can plug in at each setting. Unfortunately, some appliances fall into the grey area between 'heating' and 'electronic'. For example, most people will classify a curling iron (hair straightener) as a heating appliance. Yet it contains electronic circuit and its power consumption is higher than 50W, which means neither high nor low settings can be used.

The good news is that most portable electronics (such as chargers for iPod, cameras, cell phones, tablets, laptops, etc) are already designed to handle universal input voltage. Check the AC adapter of your appliance to make sure. If it says "Input: 100 - 240V AC", then you don't have to use a voltage converter at all. All you need is a set of adapter plugs (such as the inexpensive Travel Smart Polarized Adapter Plug 5 Piece Set), which allows you to physically plug into AC outlets in other countries, and you are good to go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh, June 11, 2012
DO NOT BUY. I had this device in italy and it literally melted in 20 min of charging an iPad.