Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on February 11, 2014
Sims runs through a program by EA called Origin. Before you can download this product, you need to download Origin for free (here's the website: [...]).

Then follow these steps:
1. Once you've downloaded Origin, make an account.
2. Log in to your account on the website and then and go to "My Account" in the upper right corner.
3. There will be a list of categories/options. Click "Redeem Product Code".
4. You can find your product code either in Amazon's order confirmation email or under your Games & Software Library on the Amazon website.
5. Copy and paste your code into the "Redeem Product Code" box.
6. Open the Origin application and go to "My Games".
7. Sims 3 will show up. Click download.

And there you have it!

Once the product is downloaded, it's awesome! For an imaginative person like myself, it's heavenly. Would totally recommend, but fair warning; it's totally addictive.
66 comments75 of 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2013
After reading all the negative reviews here saying that they were unable to get the game working after buying it, I decided to take a chance and order anyway, knowing that Amazon's return policies are superb. I'm not sorry that I did! There is definitely some issue with EA Games and Mac users who are trying to download The Sims 3. They acknowledge on their website that they are aware and are working on fixing the problem. They offer some troubleshooting tips as well, so that the issues might be worked around while they are trying to fix them.

I started by following the instructions given by Amazon completely. I had some problems downloading the game at first, as the download button wasn't showing up on Origins (which is software required for downloading The Sims 3) at all. I restarted my Macbook Pro, and that seemed to resolve the problem. After I'd downloaded everything (which took about 1.5 hours), I had some issues getting the game to launch, as others have mentioned in their reviews. That's when I found and followed the troubleshooting tips I mentioned above. What worked for me was uninstalling, then reinstalling the Origins software (without having to re-download the game files). After that, it worked like a charm. That was 2 days ago, and I've been able to play the game unhindered since.

Perhaps EA Games has figured out their glitches...today I tried installing it all onto my son's Mac mini, and it went so smoothly. There was not a single problem to be had in the whole process. In less than an hour (including download time) I had it completely set up and running for my son to try out.

The game itself is great! It's entirely addicting, and so much fun. Both of my kids are thoroughly enjoying it, as am I.
33 comments35 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2014
Alright, so as I read before, there were a ton of people having problems with this.

First problem being that they had to download origin and origin has problems. I will like to say that you do need to make sure you are running the latest of your computers software. I cannot stress that enough. Games update accordingly to computer software updates so if anything is going wrong, 9/10 it is on your end of the stick.

Secondly, Origin is great. I have bought multiple games(online) and downloaded them via Origin with not a single problem.

So let me state what exactly I did so I can(HOPEFULLY) help future people.

1) Buy this game via Amazon.
2) Receive the .DMG file that shows you all of your keys that you bought
3) Copy your keys to a safe place like Notes so that you can delete the Folder and .dmg file. (I'm big on saving space)
4) Sign Up (if you haven't already) and Download Origin.
5) Search for the game you bought via Amazon which in this case is "The Sims 3 Starter Pack"
6)Enter the Key for that game that you received from Amazon.

Post Note: Make sure you have enough disk space or it cannot download.
How to check disk space?: Top Left Apple Symbol>About this Mac>More Info...>Storage
Not positive but you will need around 16 Gigs, It will not use ALL 16, but it does need 16 to download and it will only actually use around 6, as for the expansions too, you will need a total of around 7. So just have 16+ Gigs on your Mac and you will be fine.

Let's continue...

7) Download your game which can be now found in your "My Games" Section of Origin
8)Install after downloading is complete.
9)Head back to MyGames and just press play and enjoy!

Side Note: Unless you are good with files and transferring/Handling data as much fun as it is, stay AWAY from Mods.
If you do not know what you are doing, you could potentially damage your game. (You can always re-download it, but who wants to go through the troubles of that)?

KEY FACTORS:
1)UPDATE SOFTWARE
2)DO NOT LOSE YOUR KEYS
3)HAVE ENOUGH DISK SPACE
4)FOLLOW DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS

Even through reading over 30, 1 star reviews...I still went ahead and decided to go for it. (yea i'm bad*ss) <--Lol.
Followed the simple instructions and came across not a single problem so as I said before if anything is going wrong, it is on YOUR end. There is nothing wrong with this game nor download so as long as everything is good on your side, you'll be fine.

I'm only 18, and though I am extremely computer savvy, I promise a 10 year old could figure this out. Good Luck to everyone and their Download.

BEWARE: To the people buying expansion packs and not the actual game, SHAME ON YOU. How can you expand something that doesn't exist? You MUST buy the actual game before expecting to play its expansions. Again, ignore my rant and most of all HAVE FUN!
on February 22, 2014
I was able to download and install just fine, but once I clicked "play" I got "The Sims 3 Unknown Error Occurred". I contact Origin and they had no idea what to do, which tells me that even after so many other people having this problem, they still don't know how to figure it out.

I read that Amazon does not give refunds on digital content, I did contact them anyway to see if there is anything that can be done. If they don't give me a refund I think this is the last time I will use Amazon and I will cancel my prime account.

After so many negative reviews on here about the problems with this download, you would think that they would find a solution or take this off their website....but no. I give up!!
33 comments21 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2013
Everyone has been complaining about how they couldn't get this to download. Let me tell you, it's complicated but possible. First you have to download Origin. It's an application/program made by EA. From there you import your game code you received from Amazon. It will start downloading. It takes awhile, it took me a full day with really slow wifi, but it works! I'm so relieved it did because the negative feedback left me skeptical. So the only problem/downside of getting Sims, disk or download, is how much downloading and installing you have to do. It's worth it though!
11 comment6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2013
will not open to install, claims that the website is not available. on a side note, i paid 20 dollars for the sims 3: supernatural, only to find out that i needed to buy the sims 3 first... i just spent 50 dollars, and there are no refunds? this kinda s*** should be illegal...
0Comment10 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2013
I did everything the download said to do and nothing worked. The directions had things in them that didn't even exist in the application. Biggest waste of money. Speaking of can i get my money back? I'll never buy a game from amazon again. Worst download ever.
on July 11, 2013
I spent the time to do all the downloads and even make the accounts and in the end every time I go to open the game it says an error accord. Even when i redowload it it says the same thing it does not work at all!!!
0Comment9 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2013
After I purchased the game there were numerous things I had to sign up for and download before I could start the actual downloading process of the game itself. Amazon sent me a list of instructions, however only the first two were doable. I ended up on the phone with amazon twice with a wait time of about 20 minutes for each call, and on hold with EA Games for almost an hour! It seems as though EA Games and Origin (the two websites they make you sign up for) have updated their site and have not communicated with Amazon. Furthermore, after spending $30 on the game and two extension packs that I didn't really want, I found just the Sims 3 on Origin for $5.99. If you are going to download it from the internet, go straight through Origin to avoid the hassle. After nearly 3 hours of total confusion, I was actually able to start downloading the game. Just The Sims 3 alone took almost 24 hours to download! I haven't even bothered with the extension packs. Also, for some reason, the game is locking up my computer. I have never had any issues with my computer. Now I'm finding myself having to actually UNPLUG the computer to get it running again. The game is, however, very fun and addicting. Just don't download it through Amazon.
on May 5, 2014
The bad reviews made me very skeptic. But, behold. IT CAN BE DOWNLOADED AND PLAYED.

:) Either I'm a lucky gal, or the problem got fixed. either way, I've been playing the last 6 hours so here is my review on this:

Pros:
It actually works. Everything about it. No problems.
Really fun game.
Excellent price!

Cons:
Took about 1 1/2 hours to download and install (which is fine for me, I'm patient).
Runs a little slow if given too many commands, but nothing unbearable. Definitely worth it, though. Seriously, I get annoyed by glitchy games, but this is hardly noticeable at times.
When I installed it, it quit unexpectedly before finishing. I just clicked install again (because I figured I'd try again). And the 2nd time it worked like magic. Got it installed, and have been playing since.

Good luck peoples,