Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Sims 3 Starter Pack (Mac) [Online Game Code]
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 11, 2014
Sims runs through a program by EA called Origin. Before you can download this product, you need to download Origin for free (here's the website: [...]).

Then follow these steps:
1. Once you've downloaded Origin, make an account.
2. Log in to your account on the website and then and go to "My Account" in the upper right corner.
3. There will be a list of categories/options. Click "Redeem Product Code".
4. You can find your product code either in Amazon's order confirmation email or under your Games & Software Library on the Amazon website.
5. Copy and paste your code into the "Redeem Product Code" box.
6. Open the Origin application and go to "My Games".
7. Sims 3 will show up. Click download.

And there you have it!

Once the product is downloaded, it's awesome! For an imaginative person like myself, it's heavenly. Would totally recommend, but fair warning; it's totally addictive.
66 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2013
After reading all the negative reviews here saying that they were unable to get the game working after buying it, I decided to take a chance and order anyway, knowing that Amazon's return policies are superb. I'm not sorry that I did! There is definitely some issue with EA Games and Mac users who are trying to download The Sims 3. They acknowledge on their website that they are aware and are working on fixing the problem. They offer some troubleshooting tips as well, so that the issues might be worked around while they are trying to fix them.

I started by following the instructions given by Amazon completely. I had some problems downloading the game at first, as the download button wasn't showing up on Origins (which is software required for downloading The Sims 3) at all. I restarted my Macbook Pro, and that seemed to resolve the problem. After I'd downloaded everything (which took about 1.5 hours), I had some issues getting the game to launch, as others have mentioned in their reviews. That's when I found and followed the troubleshooting tips I mentioned above. What worked for me was uninstalling, then reinstalling the Origins software (without having to re-download the game files). After that, it worked like a charm. That was 2 days ago, and I've been able to play the game unhindered since.

Perhaps EA Games has figured out their glitches...today I tried installing it all onto my son's Mac mini, and it went so smoothly. There was not a single problem to be had in the whole process. In less than an hour (including download time) I had it completely set up and running for my son to try out.

The game itself is great! It's entirely addicting, and so much fun. Both of my kids are thoroughly enjoying it, as am I.
33 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2014
Alright, so as I read before, there were a ton of people having problems with this.

First problem being that they had to download origin and origin has problems. I will like to say that you do need to make sure you are running the latest of your computers software. I cannot stress that enough. Games update accordingly to computer software updates so if anything is going wrong, 9/10 it is on your end of the stick.

Secondly, Origin is great. I have bought multiple games(online) and downloaded them via Origin with not a single problem.

So let me state what exactly I did so I can(HOPEFULLY) help future people.

1) Buy this game via Amazon.
2) Receive the .DMG file that shows you all of your keys that you bought
3) Copy your keys to a safe place like Notes so that you can delete the Folder and .dmg file. (I'm big on saving space)
4) Sign Up (if you haven't already) and Download Origin.
5) Search for the game you bought via Amazon which in this case is "The Sims 3 Starter Pack"
6)Enter the Key for that game that you received from Amazon.

Post Note: Make sure you have enough disk space or it cannot download.
How to check disk space?: Top Left Apple Symbol>About this Mac>More Info...>Storage
Not positive but you will need around 16 Gigs, It will not use ALL 16, but it does need 16 to download and it will only actually use around 6, as for the expansions too, you will need a total of around 7. So just have 16+ Gigs on your Mac and you will be fine.

Let's continue...

7) Download your game which can be now found in your "My Games" Section of Origin
8)Install after downloading is complete.
9)Head back to MyGames and just press play and enjoy!

Side Note: Unless you are good with files and transferring/Handling data as much fun as it is, stay AWAY from Mods.
If you do not know what you are doing, you could potentially damage your game. (You can always re-download it, but who wants to go through the troubles of that)?

KEY FACTORS:
1)UPDATE SOFTWARE
2)DO NOT LOSE YOUR KEYS
3)HAVE ENOUGH DISK SPACE
4)FOLLOW DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS

Even through reading over 30, 1 star reviews...I still went ahead and decided to go for it. (yea i'm bad*ss) <--Lol.
Followed the simple instructions and came across not a single problem so as I said before if anything is going wrong, it is on YOUR end. There is nothing wrong with this game nor download so as long as everything is good on your side, you'll be fine.

I'm only 18, and though I am extremely computer savvy, I promise a 10 year old could figure this out. Good Luck to everyone and their Download.

BEWARE: To the people buying expansion packs and not the actual game, SHAME ON YOU. How can you expand something that doesn't exist? You MUST buy the actual game before expecting to play its expansions. Again, ignore my rant and most of all HAVE FUN!
on February 22, 2014
I was able to download and install just fine, but once I clicked "play" I got "The Sims 3 Unknown Error Occurred". I contact Origin and they had no idea what to do, which tells me that even after so many other people having this problem, they still don't know how to figure it out.

I read that Amazon does not give refunds on digital content, I did contact them anyway to see if there is anything that can be done. If they don't give me a refund I think this is the last time I will use Amazon and I will cancel my prime account.

After so many negative reviews on here about the problems with this download, you would think that they would find a solution or take this off their website....but no. I give up!!
on November 28, 2013
Everyone has been complaining about how they couldn't get this to download. Let me tell you, it's complicated but possible. First you have to download Origin. It's an application/program made by EA. From there you import your game code you received from Amazon. It will start downloading. It takes awhile, it took me a full day with really slow wifi, but it works! I'm so relieved it did because the negative feedback left me skeptical. So the only problem/downside of getting Sims, disk or download, is how much downloading and installing you have to do. It's worth it though!
on October 8, 2014
This is terrible it does not load it will not work on any mac with higher than 10.7 we paid the money try to load it it won't even start half the time and then when it does start it then asks you to register in a bunch of different places in order for the game to work I feel absolutely ripped off by this and EA sports you want to be ashamed of yourself of having such a crappy product for the Mac
on February 4, 2014
after hours of downloading and installing all three of them "an unknown error occurred." its such a process. first you have to download this program called "origin" and create a whole account on there. you might as well just buy the game directly from there. then you have to verify the account with your email and all that jazz. THEN you have to keep copying and pasting the different game codes from amazon and putting them on origin. then you have to download all three of them which takes a really long time. THEN, you're not done yet, you have to install all three of them and RE-ENTER the individual codes from amazon. after that click "play" and oh wait, "an unknown error occurred" and thats it. you are out of luck. rip off. i want my money back!!!
on February 16, 2015
It was quite confusing to go from the Sims website and then to the Origin website.

The Sims site boasted that this was due to the increased download speeds that Origin has. If this is indeed correct, I cannot possibly imagine how slow the Sims site was. After the complicated means I had to go about to gain access to all the games that I purchased, I then had to go through the complicated means of another website, Origin.

I then had to download the Origin 157 MB as well as the Sims 3 however much MB. This seems to be overly excessive and a major waste of time. I wish I could get a refund, and will be attempting to do so.
on January 26, 2015
DO NOT BUY the online download! I ignored the other reviews and I karma bit me in the butt. It downloads just fine, but every time you attempt to play it tells you to insert game disk. I contacted Origin and they even helped me delete the files and update the game as the version Amazon offers is outdated and WILL NOT work. This, of course, did not fix the problem and now I've spent twice as much on a game I enjoy playing (I'm in love with designing the houses!) as I had to buy the physical version.

Just be patient and buy the disk, NOT THE DOWNLOAD.

Really disappointed in Amazon for selling an inferior product and not offering returns.
on January 13, 2015
I really love this game. There are quite a few amazing things the Sims 3 has for player to do from building a family to living life in the big city. A sim can really have it all.

Here is why I placed a one star. I am a Mac user. As such I was under the impression that the Sims 3 was compatible as stated with Mac computers. Well it is if you only have the basic Sims game and you don't get too attached in playing any one Sim in your game and you don't play for too long. This means you'll not be able to use any of the extensions available for purchase for the Sims 3 game.

The reason is that the sims 3 was not written natively for Mac user rather EA placed a wrapper that is only capable of handing 2Gb of VM (Virtual Memory). The wrapper is a exe. file that helps Mac translate window games so that Mac users can play them. But since the Sims 3 is a heavy virtual memory based game (up to 8 GB of VM is recommended) the game crashes, slows, and/or unable to load due to the fact that the wrapper can only handle 2 GB not any more. So your game thinks it's out of memory when in fact you most likely have plenty to spare.

In my case, I had 370GB of memory available so playing the Sims 3 should have been a breeze. Unfortunately since the wrapper can only handle 2 GB of VM so the game is unable to see that more memory is available due to the limit of memory able to be processed by the wrapper. The game started slowing down after the second expansion. It was unplayable after the third without any custom content added. I have read that Sims 2 was natively written for Mac. I would most likely suggest that you try that since Sims 3 borrows many of it's ideas from it anyway.