Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2007 11:55:52 PM PDT
So, I read this book at work the other day (bookstore), and I noticed something. Mike's talking to his co-worker who's apparently never heard of Frank Sinatra. And he says something along the lines of 'And I realized that Frank Sinatra died before this guy was born.' Well, Ol' Blue Eyes died in 1998, so unless Starbucks is recruiting from elementary schools these days...

This book really needed a better editor, I'm afraid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 2:30:50 AM PST
Good eye, Jillian!

No blame to the author; anyone could make a slip of that nature in conversation or in writing, but editors must check everything that's checkable. A reworded sentence could have shown that Sinatra was not only alive but world-famous during most of that provincial coworker's narrow life. Sinatra revolved in the spotlight of a parallel universe that the hip, slick, cool, and aware coworker is unaware of.

A publisher is a business concern, viability and profit are concerns, and editors must concern themselves with deadlines. Press time is reserved months ahead and a book must go to press at a certain time on a certain day, or printing will certainly cost more.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2008 1:14:01 PM PDT
LOL! So, I'm not crazy! I'm in the midst of reading the book and just read that paragraph earlier this afternoon. I thought to myself that surely, Frankie hasn't been dead 20 years!

Thanks for confirming my memory. Other than that, I am enjoying the book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 7:28:20 PM PDT
Never heard of Sinatra? Hmmm. What's funny about Starbucks is that they persent this image of being so sophisticated, yet the person making your latte could be culturally illiterate. I mean, he's obviously older than ten, probably in his 20's. It also seems kind of patronizing that the author is writing about his co-worker's ignorance in this book, to tell a cute story.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Oct 28, 2007
Latest post:  May 14, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
How Starbucks Saved My Life: a Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else
How Starbucks Saved My Life: a Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else by Michael Gill (Hardcover - 2007)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (366)