Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CDChange

on January 19, 2000
When I saw that the average customer review for this CD was anything less than 5 stars +, I had to comment myself. I then saw that it was just that one person (certainly entitled to their opinion -- but from Chgo no less!) was bringing the average down.
This CD really is brilliant. My son started listening to it when he was weeks old, and after a few months he smiled (and still does at 10 mos.) every time it came on. I find the songs running through my own head.
Anyway, I can't articulate it; I can only recommend that you buy it for a child. It's a wonderful gift.
11 comment47 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2000
A neighbor and mother of 5 recommended this CD to me. We have children that range from 15yrs to 7 months. We ALL love the songs. My toddler (the biggest fan of course) can be found singing Raffi tunes while playing. The songs are very catchy and hard to shake. I must have sung "Robin in the Rain" hundreds of time to myself. Down By the Bay has brought some very interesting self made rhymes by all of us making it educational! I am now purchasing this CD to give to friends as gifts that children will take a very long time to outgrow!
0Comment25 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2000
Our nieces and nephews loved Raffi, so we picked this one up for our 14-month old son who absolutely loves it! He claps whenever he hears it in the van, and Raffi's voice is so soothing, that he often falls asleep to it. At home he dances and gets so excited when he hears the simple yet fun tunes....and even fusses in between songs wanting more! Raffi is great for adults too as he has an easy, folksy voice that isn't annoying like many of the other music they have out there for children. The songs were carefully planned for the very young and are easy to sing along with....for parents too! Pick it up and enjoy!
0Comment35 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2000
As a long-time early childhood teacher, I remember when this recording first came out. It was and still is the finest work for young ones. I highly recommend this to everyone who cares about introducing quality music to their children.
Raffi has been recognized for his lifetime achievements. You should share this one with the little ones you love.
on May 22, 2002
This is one of our family's favorites from the Raffi collection. The songs are timeless classics (some with a great Raffi twist), performed in a way that is fun for children and tolerable for adults (even when heard again and again). Our 3 year old son and our 1 year old daughter love these songs, and even our schoolage home daycare children requested it many times. Our favorites to sing along with are "Down By the Bay" and "Mr. Sun." "Aikendrum," a classic with a twist, is a lot of fun to sing with and make up lyrics to with children. As a former preschool teacher, I loved to sing "Williby Wallaby Woo" and insert names of my students into the song. There are even several holiday/seasonal songs thrown in for variety. This is just a fun collection of classic children's music at its best, as only Raffi can deliver. Wonderful gift for families or teachers of young children!
on August 16, 2000
Raffi was recommended by a friend that has 5 children. This is the first Raffi CD we tried. My son (2 1/2 at the time) absolutely loved it! His older siblings of 11 & 12 found themselves singing his songs throughout the day as well. I now buy this CD as a gift for every birthday party I attend!
on February 28, 2000
Our little girls love Raffi! This tape was our favorite when they were very little. It's perfect for singing, dancing, snuggling, and laughing. Our oldest girl has grown to like his later tapes even more, but this one is still a family favorite we listen to over and over and an all-time classic. You can't go wrong with anything by Raffi. His songs are magic for little kids. We love them all.
on May 13, 1999
This is an outstanding CD. From what I have read, it was huge when it first came out and "wrote the book" on children's music that is educational, fun and just perfect for kids. A true classic.
There is so much variety and quality here, from the nice trumpet solo in the silly "Robin in the Rain" ("Running in the garden with your nimble feet. Digging for your dinner with your long, strong beak. Robin in the rain, you don't mind the weather. Showers always make you gay. But the worms are wishing you would stay at home. Robin on a rainy day"), to the sing-along "Mr Sun" (Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr Golden Sun. Please shine down on Me. Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr Golden Sun, hiding behind a tree. These little children are asking you, to please come out so we can play with you. Oh Mr. Sun..."), to the gentle "The More We Get Together."
This is a must-have classic. If our family had to choose just one children's CD to own, it would be this one.
on November 23, 2001
The only non-5 star review said Raffi's voice annoyed him. Who cares? Did he buy it for himself? I don't think it matters what I think of the music (would I listen to it if I didn't have a kid?? No!). The proof is in how kids respond, and they apparently do.
I played all types of MY music for my 11 month old. He didn't respond to any of it. To this CD, he responded plenty. He absolutely loves it.
Also, it's not as annoying as you might think.
on November 9, 2000
I first heard this album in highschool child developement/ child care class. We had to teach some of the songs to the preschoolers and the songs stuck in my head ever since. I really enjoy the "peanut butter sandwich" song. Now that I have a child I bought her the cd and we listen to it a lot in the car. Raffi's voice isn't annoying like some other child singing characters. He reminds me somewhat of Paul Simon or Peter Paul and Mary. My daughter and I like to sing the Five Little Pumpkins song together. A great cd!