5.0 out of 5 stars Has already paid for itself!
Published on January 19, 2009 by R. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars good product. bad support.
Published on October 4, 2010 by N. Tran

3.0 out of 5 stars good product. bad support., October 4, 2010
N. Tran (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
this is a good steam pressure. It works faster than better than a regular steam pressure. We are satisfied with this. However, after a few months' use, the cover deteriorate due to the heat - this is not expected but not surprising considering the amount of heat stress it is subjected to. We tried for months to order a new replacement cover but Singer gave us the run around. Calling a local Singer support is no help. So now it sits unused in the closet while we wait for a replacement part.
If you order this, be sure to order a few replacement covers for the inevitable deterioration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has already paid for itself!, January 19, 2009
Worth every penny! DH and I both wear business professional to work each day. At $3.25 per pair of pants, my dry cleaning bill was at least $45 - $50 a week doing both pants and shirts. It was getting ridiculous! So I splurged for this Singer steam press and it has worked out perfectly. I only do the pants (shirts are $1.25 each and it's worth it to me to drop those at the cleaners bc they are a pain and I simply don't have the time).

I near-dry the pants and then let them hang overnight. Then I steam press them, half a leg at a time, from the hem to the highest point the presser can go, only doing from the center seam out to the crease. So each pant gets 4 presses. I don't bother with the tops of the pants or the pleats. They look fine coming straight from the dryer. But if they need it, I'll use a traditional iron for that. It took some practice, but I've got it down to less than 1 minute per pair without rushing. They come out perfect and I'm saving a ton of money. We wear 10 pairs of pants each week. So each week I'm saving over $32.00 on my cleaning bill. In about 2 months, I was already ahead.

My only beef was that the steamer would leave little wet spots on the pants (that dried and no problem). But I discovered that was operator-error. I was steaming for 2-3 seconds and you really only need 1 second. And don't try to use this for shirts. You'll spend more time fixing the little creases than if you just used a regular iron. But for my purposes, this thing is a dream!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best steam press. You don't get your fingers burned!, October 6, 2008
This is an excellent steam press. The top lifts off high enough where you don't get your hands burned by the top of the press as the other brands. I bought both the singer and the Reliable Empressa S500 model because of the bigger size but it does not compare to the Singer. The only minus is that Singer is only 7 times the zize of an iron versus the Reliable Empressa of 10+ times the size of an iron.
I wish Singer would make a larger size press.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great time saver, November 19, 2008
Pippa (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This is a replacement for a press I had bought used from a unknown brand, and I could not get repaired when the heating element went. I am hoping that with Singer and a service network, that will not be a problem...and the other lasted 10 years anyway.

It takes a little getting used to, and smart use of the dryer, to get the most out of the press. I take linen tablecloths out a little damp, do all around the edges first, then fold in 1/2 and press double. I also use a spray bottle with water, never use the steam. That never has worked well for me. Napkins are a dream!

Pants: Do 1/2 a leg at a time, length wise, missing the seam. For a perfect job around the pocket, I use the regular iron and ironing board.

The press is so quick and easy I do shirts at home, less than 5 mns per, and save $2.75 at the cleaners.
Lastly, we all enjoy ironed sheets: do the top first, then fold length wise in fours, and press firmly.

It seems most of the complaints I have read are from people who did not try very hard!

5.0 out of 5 stars Singer ESP-2 Electronic Steam Press, August 13, 2008
This is an absolutely wonderful presser. I didn't think I could find a presser as good as the Singer presser I just wore out, but this one far exceeds my old one. Thank you Singer! This one is lighter weight than the old one and it is much easier on the shoulder. I thought that this would affect the quality of the pressing of the garment, but it doesn't. I prefer the larger pressing area of the old presser, but am adjusting quite easily. I had been without a presser for a few months, and ambitiously pressed 35 items in one night. I was shocked that my shoulders did not hurt the next day. I truly love this presser, you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT MACHINE UNTIL...Steamer Broke After 3 Weeks... ;-(, March 19, 2012
Pete H. (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
JULY 2012 update.

So Amazon very nicely sent me a replacement steam press, because thank God I was within the return period!!! This second machine they've sent me, I use about once a week for 1-2 hours at a time just doing a whole load of pressing, the way I used the first machine which had the steam function conk out.

So far, this second one has worked fine. Ironing is *not* fun, but this does a good job at making it quite a bit faster, and the steam function is working on this unit unlike my last unit. I was really a little stumped with my first unit. You certainly wouldn't think Singer makes bad stuff, given their hundreds-year old reputation. And I know there've been comments here that this is "cheap stuff" that's "made in China". But you know, quite honestly China makes some of the most forward and state-of-the art tech stuff out there. Every single Apple product is made in China, I mean. You can't get more cutting edge than Apple right?!

Anyway this replacement machine is working fine. Whatever was wrong with the first, is not wrong with the second. And as I mentioned even for the first machine, the build quality is very good. So, pretty happy with this if you can be happy with an iron! I've noticed some of the other steam presses with Italian names, are really this unit re-branded. Don't know if there's any particular advantage to buying those vs this one, they are the same. But I went with Sears to go American, even though it's made in China haha.... Oh well.

Works fine! Good buy. ;-)

-------------
MARCH 2012... original purchase date...

I *hate* ironing, but when i bought this steam press i *loved* this machine!

Really, the first time I used it I was there for like 2 hours happily pressing away and all my clothes and stuff looked like they just got back from the cleaners. I did a lot of shirts, and I did some bedsheets too because I had some guests coming. Otherwise I don't iron bedsheets! But boy wow, did that make the sheets (which were expensive anyway!) feel ultra luxurious and brand new.

So.. I decided to only do ironing once a week. And to do it in a big batch. (With the TV on in the background in case I do get bored haha...).

Second week I used this, still all fine and good. Used it for about a 2 hour stretch.

This past week, which would only the the third time I used it... the STEAM FUNCTION conked out. There's a button on the handle to press for steam. Usually the machine makes this type of odd honking noise, which is the steam part / motor activating. But it does sound like an odd honk of sorts! Well after only about 45 minutes -- water tank still quite full -- no honking noise. And no steam. I wonder what the heck. I unplug it, figure ok maybe it needs to reset or something I dunno. It's like when something's wrong with the computer you just restart it right?!

Well still. No honking noise / no steam. Now *I'm* the one getting steamed.

I continued to do my ironing, but with no steam. Which is certainly one way to iron, but if I just paid $200 for this then the steam should work. Especially since this is called a "steam press"!

Before I bought this machine, I *did* see several reviews where people said the steam function conked out or just never worked from the start. Of course when I bought it I thought, "Well that won't happen to me. I think. I hope. I pray...."

But it did! I called Singer. I swear I think they have one person answering the line (1-800-4SINGER). After being told "you're the 15th caller..." and it goes down one by one bye one, about 25 minutes later I'm talking to a lady and she says only certain Singer repair facilities can do the steam machine repair. Luckily, there is one in the area -- about 30 miles away from me. If that's "in the area". I could certainly drive it one day when I have nothing better to do right?...

So I call the service center, I ask them how long it'll take to possibly repair and he says, "As soon as they send me a new one. It's usually not worth it to repair the steamer part. It breaks because they use cheap electronics." This is literally what the authorized Singer repair guy is telling me! Singer, btw, told me I would *not* be reimbursed for any postage if I sent it in directly to Singer for repair. But that they would "ship it back to me for free". What -- are they supposed to charge me when they ship it back?!!!

Given the Singer brand and it's place in American history, I was REALLY a bit disappointed. I specifically bought this storied American brand because who doesn't know Singer and sewing machines?! There's A LOT of steam presses here on Amazon. I decided I was not going to buy some fancy Japanese or Italian one, because what would happen if I ever needed parts?! I figured I'm gonna buy the good old American one. Good... it was not!

When I found out the repair store was only going to ship it back to Singer, who would then send them a new or refurbished machine which I would then have to drive 30 miles back to the repair center to pick up, I checked here on Amazon to see what the exchange policy was. LUCKILY... I have 30 days and today is day 29! So I hit that "exchange / return" button and a new machine is now on the way from Amazon, and I have to ship the defective one back to them for a swap.

I *LOVE* that Amazon has this pretty easy defective product / exchange policy. Thank God I got it before my 30 days was up too! Gave me quite a bit more faith in Amazon. Definitely a little disappointed in Singer though. The build on the machine is quite good. I would never think it would break. But whatever's under the shell obviously needs some fine tuning.

I think my new machine is supposed to arrive by the end of the week. Just in time for my weekend ironing haha. I'll keep you posted on how well that one stands up. I certainly hope it's better than the first one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Steaming Hot Learning Curve...But excellent !, March 15, 2011
It took almost every minute of my free time to complete the ironing. My iron includes tons of kid's clothing apart from adult business casuals ( Between school,home,mess up, it can quickly pile on).So was looking to reduce iron time and steam press was suggested by my friend. I looked up several steam press and narrowed to Singer.

WHAT DO I DO?
Overall the product is awesome. It reduces iron time by about 40-50%. I turn on the press and have heat setting as wool (for cotton clothes).The reason I chose wool was lack of awareness. Was worried that the clothes might get burnt;It did not and wool setting perfectly did the job. (Wool is one level below cotton in heat settings on most irons).

KIDS DRESS:
Kids shirts ,school uniforms are a breeze,spread it wrinkle free,put the steamer handle down with Steam and in about 7 seconds (beep if you forget )you have crisp front .....AND BACK .Yes, Back also has a professional look and no need to iron front and back as in regular irons. This is certainly a BIG WIN over regular irons.

PANTS:
I iron the top portion of the pants to start with ( remove wrinkles),7 seconds and done.Legs are again a breeze,first leg from the inside seam (both front and back are ironed). Keep the next leg same way,press from outside (front and back of that leg is crisp). Occasionally I do apply starch to pants and always steam the
pants.

SHIRTS:
Shirts are little bit of pain and probably 10% better than the regular iron. Collar,sleeves ,body segments make it time consuming. I have to say the quality is far better over regular iron.

NON COTTON:
I leave the heat at very low and then do ironing.the mild heat with the weight of the press makes it good.

STEAMING HOT LEARNING CURVE:
Please brush up on your profanity vocabulary which you will need handy when you get burnt by the hot plate. It is not an "if",but you "will". The reason is a stupid design by some "F" grade engineers who have left very little space between the top and bottom on the back of the steam press ( I got burnt 4 times on my first iron and even after several months,still get occasionally burnt). This is why the product does not deserve 5 stars.

The regular iron box is a legacy in my home! Use the product for few weeks or months before writing a review. YOu will need time to learn to use the product

4.0 out of 5 stars Super time saver, January 2, 2009
tsst02860 (Providence, RI) - See all my reviews
Great for pants. Men's shirts takes a little practice. Women's blouse better off with an iron. Overall, it is a great time saver. I am very satisfied.

3.0 out of 5 stars good, August 21, 2010
Nice product. Only thing is that the board is little too small for my 2XL shirts (as well as XL). You burn top of your hands by accidently touching upper heating plate so you really have to watch your hands while moving around.

Built in sprayer is not impressive. Better to use hand held sprayer to spray water - much better and faster to get wrinkles out. It would get 5 stars if there more space between two plates and 4" longer plates and improve steam spraying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Customer support number?, December 2, 2009
G. Tate (retired Navy) - See all my reviews
Just received my press and found it very easy to use. Would have been a 5 star but the documentation which came in the box is severely lacking. No contact number for support. No website address to register product.

Rate and Discover Movies