5.0 out of 5 stars Met My Expectations
Published on August 25, 2010 by Shook

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy!
Published on February 22, 2010 by M. Piccola

5.0 out of 5 stars Met My Expectations, August 25, 2010
Shook (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Singer ER10 Felting and Embellishing Machine (Kitchen)
Initially I was a little hesitant to purchase this item after reading the poor reviews... however I felt that the price couldn't be beaten if this machine only performed half as well as advertised. Well, it performs just the way that I'd hoped. I had no problems with various thicknesses of fabric, however I think the key is to treat the process carefully. Excessive pushing and pulling on the fabric while needle felting can possibly cause the needles to break. Also, one should be very mindful to set the fabric thickness opening to the right measure (there are three thicknesses, thin, medium and heavy).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun at a great price!, September 6, 2010
This review is from: Singer ER10 Felting and Embellishing Machine (Kitchen)
I'm a crafter who's always willing to try something new. I have some experience with needle felting by hand, and was thrilled to find this machine at this price.
Yes, I broke needles - but only after I pushed the machine to its limit in stacking layers of fabric. I found that what works best when starting is to keep the MACHINE speed FAST (pedal to the metal), and MOVE THE FABRIC SLOWly. Also, wait a second after you take your foot off the pedal and allow the needles to stop in the "needle up" (raised) position - then pull the fabric away from the machine. Pulling the fabric out of the machine while the needles are still down is the fastest way to break needles.
Being able to use different needle configurations is very helpful.
5 needles are great for felting large areas, but 3 needles do a nice job on smaller areas, and give you more control. This is a great machine for using up all sorts of scrap fabrics, The machine comes with roving, and it makes a great "glue" between layers of the more slippery synthetic fabrics.
Take the time to experiment first, it will pay off when it's time to make that "special" piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal on a great machine!, October 4, 2010
This review is from: Singer ER10 Felting and Embellishing Machine (Kitchen)
I purchased this machine a little skeptical at the low price. However I was very pleased when I realized not only did I get the machine but also hand felting tools, and wool samples and replacement needles too. You may read others are upset that they broke needles right away. Well this happened to me as it will happen to any newbie or even an experienced embellisher. When I spoke to an experienced friend who has a $600 embellisher she said it happens to her too. She was very impressed with my machine and said broken needles are the fault of the user. When the material is moved while still engaged in the wool it may cause a needle to break. WIth practice it will happen less often but will still happen. It is the nature of the embellishing process. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's exactly what I expected, July 15, 2010
This review is from: Singer ER10 Felting and Embellishing Machine (Kitchen)
I wasn't looking for something that will needlepunch a rug, or run over heavy seams. This machine does exactly what I wanted it to do - develop textured fiber art from all types of fabrics and fiber embellishment materials. I think you have to be careful with the machine and the needles, but I found a reasonably priced source for needles, even tho I've not yet broken any. And my source has different weight needles, as well, not just the lighter-weight ones. I think I will use the machine a lot in my artwork - wonderful tool for the price!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy!, February 22, 2010
This review is from: Singer ER10 Felting and Embellishing Machine (Kitchen)
Needles are too fragile and very expensive to replace. Not only that, time consuming to replace. Works fine on thin items, but needles break when embellishing trims, ribbons, etc. I have used about 6 times and replaced 18 needles trying to attach embellishments. Needles should be made in light, medium and heavy weights. I am an experienced sewer, and I know I am not abusing machine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price., September 21, 2010
This review is from: Singer ER10 Felting and Embellishing Machine (Kitchen)
I purchased the felting machine even though the reviews weren't very good. For the price it was well worth it. It does what I need it to do. I agree that the needles seem to break but I find it only happens when I am too anxious and don't pay attention. I also discovered that I could purchase regular felting needles at Joann's or other craft stores and cut them to size with a pair of heavy duty nippers. If you try this make sure you cut inside of a plastic bag or box as the needle pieces shoot around when cut. I am a fiber artist and this has certain helped with my felting designs. Doing it by hand was getting more and more difficult. I LOVE my machine. I do have to say I am disappointed and surprised at Singer for not providing an easy way to obtain the needles. I am also confused as to the difference between this and the $300 machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Felter review, November 2, 2010
This review is from: Singer ER10 Felting and Embellishing Machine (Kitchen)
I was amazed to find this machine at this price. It is available elsewhere for $299. If you are a crafter, it is terrific. Your imagine can be your guide as to what you want to make--or embellish. I did break a needle but it was my lack of coordination and not any fault of the machine. I was very happy to learn that only one of the 5 needles broke and that I only had to replace one. So the 5 extra they sent will last some time. It has multiple safety features. I was surprised that they included hand felting tools. A fun toy. At $299, I wouldn't have bought it. Check out Youtube for ideas on how to use it and things to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I bought this!, November 4, 2010
This review is from: Singer ER10 Felting and Embellishing Machine (Kitchen)
I was very skeptical about purchasing this and have read the reviews for a few months before I did buy it. I have used it about 4 times now in the 3 weeks I've had it. Happy to say I haven't had any broken needles, but I have been pretty cautious and patient so far. I've done some quilting and just started getting into mixed media art this last year, so I'm still trying to come up with ideas for embellishing things. I found more wool roving at a local hobby store and I'm just thrilled with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun at a great price!,, November 29, 2010
This review is from: Singer ER10 Felting and Embellishing Machine (Kitchen)
I purchased the felting machine even though the reviews weren't very good. I LOVE my machine, so glad I bought this! I agree that the needles seem to break but only when you won't pay attention. Needles are very easy to replace.

2.0 out of 5 stars Embellishing machine is not all that!!, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Singer ER10 Felting and Embellishing Machine (Kitchen)
I purchased the machine and am sorry now. Have had it too long to send it back. Needles are $[...] for 5 needles from Singer. [...] does not carry them any longer. It's not worth the money but I'll use it someday for some light fabric. Needles are very flimsy and thin.

Rate and Discover Movies