5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have Resource, March 14, 2011
This review is from: Singer New Sewing Essentials: Updated and Revised Edition (Paperback)
From the cover this book doesn't look like it's going to be impressive, but inside it's a wealth of information. Easy to use with excellent photos of each step and clear instructions, it covers everything you need to know to teach yourself to sew, including pattern usage, basic pattern adjustment, types of closures, etc. Definitely a keeper!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference!, December 13, 2010
I like this book because of its great pictures and detail, however, I have found that I need more! It is certainly a great starter book, and something to keep by the table because of its easy to read design. I like the detailed pictures of the hems and sewing methods but I would like a bit more, about foot attachments and how to sew different hems with different feet and other useful shortcuts!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fantastic resource, June 5, 2013
This is an amazing basic sewing resource.

I learned how to sew from a family friend. She did a great job, and I learned enough of the basics to make simple outfits. But since I learned things the way she did them, I ran into problems when I started to try to sew patterns myself. There were all these techniques I didn't know! All these stitches I had never heard of! And this book includes just about everything I could have a question about.

This is a great, well-illustrated, easy-to-understand resource that covers the basics of... well, everything. It explains different presser foots, different seams, bias tape, pattern adjustments, waistbands, collars, zippers, and more. It shows you how to do different machine stitches and hand stitches.

So if you need a resource of sewing fundamentals? This is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner Gift, May 1, 2013
This was purchased as a gift for a beginning sewer. It is a good book that covers just about all basics needed to get started. I'd buy it again if I need a book to encourage a new sewer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginner or Advanced Reference Book, January 10, 2013
I just love the book, I got this and the Machine Quilting and there is nothing better than a Singer Sewing Books for learning or advanced Singer is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, June 21, 2014
this is a great book for all that sew it si very helpful and full of information and is very easy to follow

5.0 out of 5 stars eye opener, March 1, 2014
I read this book, easy to understand, and discovered a few helpful hints concerning my NEW Singer 9960 sewing machine that was not included in its operating manual. Would recommend to anyone who is just starting out or even us sewers who are transitioning from an ancient 50 yr old Kenmore to a new computerized model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for any skill level!, January 21, 2014
Lots of great tips and information. I am an intermediate level sewist and I found lots of great information in this book

5.0 out of 5 stars worth getting the "Essentials", October 21, 2013
While browsing I wasn't sure if I should get the extended version or this "Essentials" one. I've got the Singer New Sewing Essentials.

I'm a beginner sewer; I've got a Singer sewing machine a few weeks ago and I've been having classes for 7 weeks now. Money-wise speaking, it was a good idea to get this one because I still have so much to learn and every basic sewing information is great for a beginner. I am surprise with the amount of info; it delivered more than I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, August 21, 2013
This book had the exact things that was asked from my professor and it helped me through out the semester/ quarter.

Singer New Sewing Essentials: Updated and Revised Edition
Singer New Sewing Essentials: Updated and Revised Edition by Editors of Creative Publishing (Paperback - November 1, 2008)
$16.99 $12.95