Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Singer Touch & Sew 7462 Electronic Sewing Machine
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on January 29, 2008
After reading a lot of on line reviews, I got this machine in September 2007. Funny that at the time I could hardly find many negative reviews and the ones I did find were people who had a beef with Singer or a weird fluke that made their machine break. So I took the plunge. I'd had another Singer that lasted a good 10 years with sporadic use. I'm certainly no seamstress. This was more or less for easy projects and simple sewing. It was easy to get started on the machine. The buttons for the various stitches are great. The horizontal placement of the thread seemed like a great idea. The instruction book was clear. It is easy to perform maintenance on the machine as the screws are easily accessible. That's about where my joy ends and my complaints begin.

First, the lighting stinks. Second, it's LOUD. If you get to pumping away at a long line of stitching, it's like a jackhammer. Then there's the godforsaken foot pedal. Irritating? You bet! It seems to either go slow or super fast and is clunky and unnatural. I have to use a bare foot to be able to grasp it with my toes to massage it to go a decent speed without jerking into super speed. Trying to get it to maintain a comfortable speed is hard work. If you step on the pedal and remove your foot, and then try to step on it again again right away, the pedal fails to work at all if you haven't allowed the needle unit to stop. It can be super annoying.

The last complaint I will voice is the fact that I am having one heck of a time getting thread that agrees with the machine. Yes, I've cleaned the machine. Yes, I've oiled the machine. Yes, I've adjusted the tension up or down. Yes, I've changed needles...bought good thread...am using "Singer" products...sacrificed a goat and did a rain dance...but the thread is forever clumping around the top of the needle and snapping off. No matter what I do thus far, I can't seem to solve that problem.

All in all, I am frustrated with this machine. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. You know that saying "you get what you pay for"? Well, if only that were true in this case! I haven't even gotten what I paid for!
22 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2006
i've had this machine for about 7 months, and i've had tons of problems with birdnesting and the bobbin.

the "auto-tension" feature is hardly automatic. the "auto" setting is only good for 2 layers of light- to moderate-weight fabrics. forget trying to sew boucle or more than 2 layers of denim with this machine. stick to broadcloth and thinner denims. of course, you can only sew these fabrics if the bobbin works.

the bobbin cradle (where you lay the top-loading bobbin) broke yesterday afternoon, and now i've gotta buy a replacement. i was sewing two layers of boucle with mild thread, and the machine jammed. i thought, "well, that's normal for this machine," and went about un-jamming it. when i went back to sew, it did it again, something that hardly happens for another 10 minutes. after a disassembly of the bobbin area, i determined a piece on the bobbin cradle had broken off. "great," i thought, "now i need to buy a replacement cradle."

this machine is not worth the money. if you want something that breaks, go with a lesser model and save some money. replacement parts aren't cheap on this, either, since it's a relatively new model. my '78 Singer tears through thicker fabrics with light and heavy threads like nobody's business, but this newer model breaks its own parts within 7 months of being set up. my advice: stay away from Model 7462.
44 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2006
For the new or experienced sewer, this is a wonderful electronic machine with great features, but not a huge price. Better quality than the Singer 7442 (made for the discount market)--pay the extra $20.00 for the 7462 and get a much better quality sewing machine. I still have my Singer 237 from the late 1960's, and I plan to keep the new Singer 7462 machine for 30 years--or until my eyes or body give out!!! Currently, the machine can be purchased on EBAY for $199.00 total with no shipping costs and no taxes through June 30, 2006. During June, the Singer 7462 comes with a free $40.00 quilting package of special sewing feet and attachments.
33 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2011
After my 20 yr. old Kenmore sewing machine died, I was in a market for a new machine. This, being a SINGER caught my eye. I mean, my Mom has had her SINGER for about 40+ yrs; go figure. Next the affordable price, and the variety of lovely stitches made it even more appealing. The machine worked great until the 1 yr. warranty expired... Then small things started happening; The bobbin winder starts reloading the bobbins unevenly, it starts to bird-nest the bobbin thread, thread starts breaking, needles breaking. No matter how many time I checked the tension, nothing worked. I was sewing 2 layers of cotton calico fabric together; light duty "cute" stuff. Understand this is not my first time around the block with a sewing machine. I oiled it, cleaned it, ALWAYS use good quality thread. Nothing would please this machine. I took it to a SINGER service center. Guess what? It will cost me $90 to service this $150+ machine that is less than 2 yrs. old!!!!! While it worked it made beautiful stitches.
PROS - It makes an excellant door stop, or target at a gun range.
CONS - It's a door stop, or only good for a target at a gun range.
on November 2, 2009
i am an seamstress, experienced in garment making and a variety of crafts. ive been sewing almost ten years. for most of that time i had an older, heavy duty kenmore that would sew a tree if i asked it to (mind you i never did).

what i like:
auto threader, decorative stitches, the led light,

what i dont like:
that said the 7462 is a very lightweight delicate machine. it does amazing decorative stitches with adjustable length and width, but it doesnt Like to do them. the machine whines, tensions have to be adjusted just so, threading has to be to a T, etc. that is a major discouragement b/c i originally bought it for those stitches.
also, ive already had to adjust the bobbin tension (even though it says you wont have to) and it sounds like it needs to be oiled after a week.

ive already sewed a couple of garments in the short time ive had it, besides numerous smaller projects. overall... i like what it can do, but wish it was better manufactured.
on February 13, 2009
I purchased this sewing machine almost 2 years ago. At the time I could not find any helpful reviews online and so purchased it since I needed a new, good sewing machine.

It has served it's purpose. It sews. But I have never had success with any of the decorative stitches. They don't come out the way they are supposed to and so I dont do them (which is bad because one of the features is all the stitches). It is loud and clunky. No amount of cleaning and oiling will change that. One annoying thing is if you do take your foot off the presser foot and want to continue sewing sometimes it won't allow you to continue so you have to press it again.

Also sometimes I have major problems changing the stitch length/width. I'll have to slide it back and forth a few times before it registers and beeps.
on August 14, 2014
bought this for my granddaughter for christmas because it was just like grandmas and she had learned how to sew on it and it works great and she loves it has made all sorts of clothes and pillows with it, works terrific!
on March 22, 2011
The Precision 7444 Singer sewing machine will not sew for long. It is so sensitive and the stitching will be poor before you know it. Having sewn a great deal in the past, I was pleased to receive this sewing machine as a gift. However, my pleasure ran dry soon after attempting simple sewing projects. The tension is never right. The timing went out on my machine (of course, just months after the full 1 year warranty ran out), and it costs 144.00 to fix it. The customer service rep. said timing issues with this machine are always caused by "user error." She asked if I had ever sewn over a pin, used heavy duty thread, or pulled up on nested thread. She said if I had done any of those things then it was my fault the timing was out and it was my problem to pay for. Not only do I agree with previous reviewers that say this machine is only good for the shooting range, but the customer service at Singer is the PITS as well. Dont buy it - be warned!
on April 8, 2016
I bought mine in 07 and had no problem with it...I sew all the time its a good machine the only problem was I wasnt threading it the right way I was wondering why I was having so much problem with it untill I got the book out and found out i was missing one..the way I wad threading since then I have no problems with it its the best machine I have ever had I love the was it sews
on October 25, 2010
I've had this machine for almost 2 years, had a hand me down euro-pro before that gave me a lot of problems. I'm an advanced beginner and use it for hobby sewing.

PROS - Lots of decorative stitches, auto tension, drop in bobbin, simple to thread, can use a twin needle to do double top stitching. Easy to maintain + has guides for seam allowances. Manual and DVD are well written and provide enough information to get a good start.

CONS - Difficult for left handed use. The lever for the presser foot is on the right side of the needle, making it difficult to lower/raise the presser foot. It doesn't go extremely slow, which would be helpful at times.

Overall, for the price paid, I like it. The issues I have dealt with aren't worth looking for something new, that is until I can afford to buy a professional quality machine.