5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for our needs!
Published on September 10, 2010 by flgirl

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but . . .
Published on October 10, 2010 by S.R.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for our needs!, September 10, 2010
This review is from: Singing Machine SML-383 Portable CDG Player Karaoke Machine, Black (Electronics)
After reading numerous reviews on amazon my mom and I decided on this one since it has the highest reviews. Great choice, we love it!! My son got this for his 8th birthday. He and my five neices (ages 1 to 8) have really enjoyed it! The handle makes it nice to carry (even by little people) and it's durable. We're trying to build our karaoke music library now. That's the hardest part. And there's not a huge selection of music in stores. I'd recommend buyers to go ahead and get a few good karaoke cd's off amazon and don't forget an extra microphone. Don't get me wrong, it isn't the machine you want if you're looking to set up a booth for a show at a bar or a venue. It's not that powerful. But, it's perfect for home use especially with family. It would even be great for a work party or small setting. Our family of 18 plus gets together almost every weekend and this machine comes out almost every time. The kids LOVE it! Another thing? It's educational!! When you hook it up to your tv, the lyrics are on the screen AND IT PROMOTES READING!! My son is in a rut when it comes to reading but with this machine he will read for an hour reading lyrics. Hey, whatever works!! :) The disco light is great, very bright and you can make it flash or turn it off. The kids sometimes turn off the room lights and sing with the disco lights on only. Simple to hook up to your tv, even the kids do it. We havent' used the MP3 playback yet, I just noticed here that's an option. One thing I'd recommend is to buy TWO MICROPHONES when you buy the machine. It will help for duets and in our case 2 kids grabbing the mic when the chorus comes up. Lots of excitement when you bring this machine out! I don't think I've seen some of the adults smile and laugh this hard in a long, long time. Warning: if you get it, it might bring out your inner kid!! :) Definetly recommend this product. Can't beat the price either!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but . . ., October 10, 2010
I bought this for my granddaughter who has autism and loves to sing. It has a nice case and handle, easy to move around. I like the echo feature, she sings mostly Abba songs and it sounds great with the echo. She is 16 and this brings out the best in her beautiful voice. And the ligths are a great feature. I wanted to buy her a gift that she could enjoy every day, and practice for school talent shows.

But it also has some problems. First, the plug that goes into the back of the unit is very loose, so if you pick it up while it's plugged in, the plug will fall out. There is a cheap plastic door that you pull open to insert the CD which I can imagine will be the first thing to break. Also, it doesn't have as much volume as I hoped. I am sure her mother is happy that she doesn't have this vibrating the entire house, but if she uses it to entertain others, the volume won't carry far. all these issues we can work around. For the price it's not bad. But there is one more problem that brought my rating down to 3 stars. She was singing to me, and the CD kept making a echoing thumping, which really takes away from the music. Then it started getting stuck and just making the thumping, vibrating noise. I found that if you lean the unit back at an angle it won't get stuck, but it still makes the thumping. And leaning it back, it leans against the cord that fits loose and needs adjusting every time you touch it.

She is happy with it and loves to sing along with her CD's. But if I had tried this out at a store and seen the problems with it, especially the noise it makes during the song, I would not have bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What sound problems?, April 8, 2011
lin (Dallas, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
I already inherited a wealth of karaoke files (.cdg) for my computer, so I was debating whether I should just purchase a pair of microphones and do a karaoke set up on my Mac, or just get a karaoke machine. I obviously decided to take the less tech-savvy route and got this machine, and I'm so glad I did! It was easy to set up and the controls were intuitive and made sense. I just connect my computer to my tv and speaker system to play the music and lyrics, and just let this little guy handle all the vocals. So far, I'm very pleased with it!

I went ahead and purchased the Nady mic that was featured on the "frequently bought together" and am very happy with it. The Nady feels more solid than the mic that came with the Singing Machine, but both sound fine. No one has ever fought over "the good mic," so I think it's safe to say they're equally good. The sound output was just fine for home use. I know what a good sound system sounds like, and I also know how much they cost. I've also heard my share of bad sound systems and this is definitely not bad (regardless of cost). If anyone says otherwise, they are being far too picky for a $50 karaoke machine or got a bad unit.

Also, if anyone is curious, it actually comes with two sample CDs. They each have about 20 traditional songs on them such as London Bridge, Alphabet Song, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Yankee Doodle, etc. As well as some Christmas classics like Jingle Bells, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, The First Noel, etc.

EDIT: In response to a comment, yes, it can play regular CDs like any other CD player.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the money, June 16, 2010
This was for my son's birthday he loves singing. It works greats everyone was singing and playing with it all day. The disc's that come with it are a little cheesy but we had already bought others with newer songs & being able to see the words on the T.V. Really helps out. It's a lot of fun for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price...lots of fun!, August 16, 2010
I bought this item for my daughter's 8 birthday. I had looked at quite a few different types but really didn't want to spend too much money. Amazon's price was the best I have seen and the item arrived quickly. My daughter absolutely loved it. She has played with it daily since getting it. It is very easy to hook up to the TV; she uses it that way or just uses it in her room with the disco lights and microphone. Very much worth the price!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Compatible With Party Tyme CD's, June 7, 2011
I bought this for my son for his 7th birthday (today) and he was so happy with it but then really upset to see that the Party Tyme CD's would not play properly (words are fuzzy, fade in and out). At first I thought the problem would be the CD but it turns out that the company itself admits the machine is not compatible with Party Tyme or Billboard CD's. Now I have to return it and wait for a refund until I can buy another one that is compatible. Not to mention when I opened the box, the AV leads were missing. Very very disappointed in this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic buy!, October 23, 2010
We bought this for our daughter's 6th birthday and she hasn't stopped playing with it. We hooked it up to the tv and surround sound which was extremely easy to do. Would definite;y recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine!!!, December 6, 2010
I have been wanting a Karaoke Machine just for fun for Years now and finally my parents ended up buying this one by The Singing Machine...and I absolutely love it!!! Simple to set up and showcase the words on the t.v. screen (with the appropriate CD+G's). You can also sing to your regular cd's with the microphone (but you will not see any words). Since I am not a professional singer for the cost of the machine and the quality it's a great investment for any age (and i am in my 30's) so I recommend it for anyone who just likes to sing along and have fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Singing Machine SML-383, August 22, 2010
This is the 2nd Singing Machine I purchased after returning the original I purchased for my Grandsons Birthday. This one seems to be working fine and I hope it continues to work. The original stopped working within 2 days of using..just stopped..no sound no nothing! (The lights, sound and easy carry handle are great for a 7 year old.) He loves it and uses it everyday! I had no problems at all with the return and refund of first machine. Singing Machine SML-383 Portable CDG Player Karaoke Machine, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, October 23, 2010
My 9 year old and her friends have been enjoying this machine. Wanted to try out a Karaoke machine to see if my daughter was into it before I invested any more $$ for a better machine. For the low price this is a good value. It actually works!

Rate and Discover Movies