Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2012 3:11:46 AM PDT
Nadine says:
I love Dead Island but I can only pray they don't make this one so difficult for Single Player!! If they do, I'm not buying it this time.
Where I live, I can't get enough connection speed to hook up to co-op/multiplayer & play with other people so I'm on my own. They should have cut Single players a break with the difficulty in later Chapters or at least let us choose a difficulty level - anything.
I'll be paying close attn. to reviews & youtube walkthroughs on this one.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 11:00:37 AM PDT
Archer Lamb says:
I know what you mean. Or they should have added in some sort of single player setting to make weapons more durable and the ability to hold more than 50 bullets at once. I'm just glad I was able to get some modded weapons which really did help.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 1:28:58 PM PDT
Chris says:
I loved the difficulty and having to decide whether to fight or run in a game. This was clear when you had to run to the top of the prison or fight your way through the infected.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 2:15:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012 2:18:21 PM PDT
Remember the individual characters have their own weapon preference. If you level up properly, you can end up with the characters chosen weapon lasting a heck of a lot longer between needing repairs.

And you HAVE to get the mods. Some you win through quests, others are just laying around (look for what looks like rolled up paper) Moded weapons have better specs and durability (usually) than un moded weapons, plus you have the added benefits, like fire or whatever mod you attach doing bonus damage to enemies.

I saw the add for this game in my mail box and was like "oh yeah" but then I saw the release date LOL Yeah, I assume there will be a sequel, but that's a rather un official release date (like we know it's coming, but not when)

[edit]
Oh yeah, difficulty. Each quest you get has a difficulty rating. You can't adjust it, but it does tell you how relatively hard that one is. Personally, I liked most of the game, except in the city where I swear there was some clown cars.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 8:09:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2012 8:11:32 AM PDT
W. Newberry says:
I used the dupe weapon glitch , just make sure you clear cache and play offline and don't keep too many weapons in the storage or the game will freeze.

Also make a back-up save on another file every now and then in case your auto-save gets corrupt. Just roll back a save or two if that happens, but then again don't keep too many weapons in storage.

Basically on the 360 you go to throw the weapon and at the same time press Y and 2 weapons will be thrown , just keep repeating this and you can have 10-20-30 of the same exact weapon.

I did this with the exploding knife I had at least 20 on me all the time.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 11:10:56 AM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
Single player was not difficult for me at all. You just needed to adapt your playing style for it

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 1:34:25 PM PDT
brian jay says:
first run with single player had it's tough moments for me (sewers...ugh) it wasn't until playthrough+ i just put the game down. way unbalanced, zombies 3-4 shotting my lvl 38 logan. BUT THEN, they fixed all the issues with an awesome patch. i came back to it and loved it. still challenging but not unfair. so far, with the small amount of details out for this game i'm stoked.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 8:43:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 8:44:39 AM PDT
Nadine says:
W Newberry: >>I used the dupe weapon glitch , just make sure you clear cache and play offline and don't keep too many weapons in the storage or the game will freeze.

Also make a back-up save on another file every now and then in case your auto-save gets corrupt. Just roll back a save or two if that happens, but then again don't keep too many weapons in storage.

Basically on the 360 you go to throw the weapon and at the same time press Y and 2 weapons will be thrown , just keep repeating this and you can have 10-20-30 of the same exact weapon.

I did this with the exploding knife I had at least 20 on me all the time. <<

? I have no idea how to back up a saved game on my X360 - I didn't know I could, if I could do that, I'd be a HAPPY GIRL!!!
Any details? I'll get on my console & see if I can find out on my menu's. This would save me alot of headache if I could do that early on.
Thanks for your tips too, in single player I don't mind using some cheat/glitches becuz I think the odds are too stacked against SP'rs & I'm amping up my chances.
THANK U for the help & tips !!!!!! =D

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 8:47:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 8:52:38 AM PDT
Nadine says:
>> brian jay says:
first run with single player had it's tough moments for me (sewers...ugh) it wasn't until playthrough+ i just put the game down. way unbalanced, zombies 3-4 shotting my lvl 38 logan. BUT THEN, they fixed all the issues with an awesome patch. i came back to it and loved it. still challenging but not unfair. so far, with the small amount of details out for this game i'm stoked. <<

I haven't downloaded any patches on my xbox but so far (finishing Chpt 2) no issues with anything yet & I have TONS in my weapons & inventory. I'm wondering if I need a patch if I bought a recent game disk?
I'm not hooked up to my internet either, not sure how to Dld a patch until I can get online???

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 9:03:48 AM PDT
brian jay says:
good to hear you're not having trouble...yet lol. you may not need to download a patch if you have the game of the year edition, not sure though. i guess the only way to know is to hook your xbox up and see if it updates. other than that i don't know of another way to see. glad to hear you're enjoying it though :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 9:12:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 9:13:13 AM PDT
Nadine says:
> brian jay says:
good to hear you're not having trouble...yet lol. you may not need to download a patch if you have the game of the year edition, not sure though. i guess the only way to know is to hook your xbox up and see if it updates. other than that i don't know of another way to see. glad to hear you're enjoying it though :) <

lol ya, *yet*. I just turned on the console to see about copying my character save & it looks like I need another device (hard drive) to copy it onto. Looks like I need a REAL long ethernet line & some other device to copy a save onto.
This isn't a GOTY edition - I should have just gotten that & spent the extra $$ but I went cheap instead lol. I'm bound & determined to beat this & I'm planning early while I have plenty of cash & stuff.
I even leveled up to 15 in Ch. 2. I'm gonna use Newberry's cheat for weapons too. Hope it works for me!!
It's times like these that I wish I was a tech geek to know how to hook stuff up. It's annoying to be so ignorant with this stuff. I hate being a NOOB.
Were you losing stuff in your inventory or anything? & also, are you saying that you did a playthru after you beat it the first time & they were even stronger than you in 2nd playthru?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 10:36:15 AM PDT
brian jay says:
eh, you're not a noob. if you are though, that means i'm one too cuz i don't know about that stuff either lol. as far as my playthrough is concerned, i don't remember ever losing anything in my inventory unless it was my fault. like, once i accidently threw one of my better weapons at an enemy and it fell through the map. i had to reload my save :/ and yea, after you beat the game once they give you the option to start a fresh playthrough with your same strong character and weapons (i was a lvl 38 logan) the enemies scale to your lvl and you can find even better weapons. before the patch though the enemies were way too strong but like i said the patch fixed it and now it's awesome. so, lets hope you somehow already have the patch :P

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 11:25:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 11:31:08 AM PDT
Nadine says:
>> brian jay says:
eh, you're not a noob. if you are though, that means i'm one too cuz i don't know about that stuff either lol. as far as my playthrough is concerned, i don't remember ever losing anything in my inventory unless it was my fault. like, once i accidently threw one of my better weapons at an enemy and it fell through the map. i had to reload my save :/ and yea, after you beat the game once they give you the option to start a fresh playthrough with your same strong character and weapons (i was a lvl 38 logan) the enemies scale to your lvl and you can find even better weapons. before the patch though the enemies were way too strong but like i said the patch fixed it and now it's awesome. so, lets hope you somehow already have the patch :P <<

Well, I've been to the store & back & got me a cheap 4GB USB Flashdrive, popped it into the front port of the xbox & copied my saves on this game. Now if I screw up I can at least go back!! I might be able to play better when I'm less worried about being broke & stuck somewhere later in the game.
I don't game as well when I'm nervous or worried about dying. I get all scared & panick. :[
Got my ethernet cable too to try tomorrow am. when my connect speed is almost 890k ~ oh boy lol. It might take 2 days to download a patch if I'm lucky haha.

I'm almost bummed to hear about the playthru... I thought when you did the 2nd playthru that the zombies weren't near your level & you could just plow thru them till they catch up to you in later levels - they just won't cut us a break over there LOL This doesn't give me much hope for Riptide's difficulty in Single Player. :/
Glad your inventory wasn't lost. I lost some inventory on saves when I rented this game last year. & I hear that if you aren't holding the weapon you're repairing/modding, that you can lose it too & to be sure to be holding the weapon you're doing at the workbench.

The only weapon I lost was my fault - I had whipped my good crowbar at a red tank to blow up a Thug & forgot to retrieve it. I was not happy later. Earlier in my game tho, I exchanged a weapon in the Lighthouse Gas Station & it fell thru the floor & I couldn't see it - but I kept moving myself around to see if a hand symbol would come up where I dropped it & sure enough I got it back even when it wasn't visible lol. Wierd.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 1:53:30 PM PDT
brian jay says:
i think you'll be alright downloading a patch even with your speed it should not take long. patches are usually anywhere from 2-10 mb. i think you'll be done in a couple mins at most. so enjoy your game :)

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 4:11:47 PM PDT
Nadine says:
Thanks Brian =) & same to you if you play again.

@ W. Newberry, I was able to copy my saves onto a usb flashdrive so I have a backup and then I tried your duplicate weapon glitch AND IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!
I think you just saved me days of migraines & grief. I can't thank you enough for that help!!! =D

>> Eli Oliver says:
Single player was not difficult for me at all. You just needed to adapt your playing style for it <<
It sounds like you're probly a really good gamer - if you read this, I'm just wondering what types of things you mean to adapt?

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 2:45:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2012 2:47:45 PM PDT
Dan Zapix says:
O.o
I didn't find Dead Island easy, but it wasn't really hard either. It was challenging at best, minus the end fight. That was just crazy.

- Use melee weapons on zombies, and guns on people.
- - Like any shooter, HEADSHOTS are important. They drop ammo. Wait till you kill a group before looking to collect the ammo they dropped, and ALWAYS reload before collecting it. Point at the head when killing zombies as well for some head crushing/chopping action.
- You have the ability to run. USE IT. Avoid crowds. You wouldn't fight an army of undead coming at you in real life, don't do it here either. You have all the time in the world to get exp and level up if you're alive.

Keep several weapons in your inventory (I usually kept 4 or 5 melee, a gun, and molotovs), and upgrade them.
- - Sell the stuff you don't need. Don't keep weapons that have crappy durability.
- - Remember lock boxes respawn. Collect the items from them. They're worth a good deal. Spend time going back to old areas to collect items.
- - FOR THE LOVE OF THE UNDEAD, STOCK UP ON MOLOTOVS! Make runs dedicated to collecting alcohol to make them. By the end of the game I had well over 100 of them. This is a wonderful way to handle thugs, large groups in a tight area, and the big guys that charge you.

- Buy health packs. You don't have to go crazy with them, but buy what you generally feel you need. Don't use them unless you're at like 1 bar of health left.

- DO EVERY QUEST. This means more money, more exp, more items.

- Other things I did was upgrade my health, weapon durability, weapon damage, weapon critical. I really didn't touch the special ability at all, as I really didn't learn to use it till 1/2 way through the game.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 6:19:09 PM PDT
A pro doesnt cheat and make duplicate weapons. A pro plays Dead Island, kicks zombies to the ground LIKE A BOSS, and the proceeds to decapitate them. And my Short Circuit Wakazashi is Beast because it does like 1800 dmg per hit xD

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 4:58:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 5:00:55 AM PDT
Nadine says:
Dan this is some GREAT info help. Thank you! I have 31 Molotav's saved up and TONS of deodorant/tape for bombs. The walkthru's I saw later in the game look brutal so I knew to gather & make as much of it as I could hold. Sadly I can't hold more than the 31 w/ the amount of weapons I have.
I found a Large medkit that's always in a yellow truck on the road at the side mission where you pull the lady's husband out of the overturned car (& 4 infected come running at you) - stocked up on those too. & the copcar when you drive into the hotel has continual ammo to stock up with too. I got a revolver doing Omar's side mission. I want the shotgun but I know it comes later.

A walkthru I follow said to first get that bottom Combat skill for Sam B, 'earthshaker'? ASAP by the end of Act 1... I'm working towards that now & I'm getting close. Focusing mainly on Combat & some Survival 1st (up to hardened so far).
Oh & I've taken every sidequest so far to level up before I get to these harder areas. :/
I'm currently at Lvl 19 and just starting Chpt 3, Born to Be Wild going into the Hotel. It looks SO hard & creepy.............. =-0
Thanks again

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 5:05:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 5:08:06 AM PDT
Nadine says:
>> Cory J. Hancock says:
A pro doesnt cheat and make duplicate weapons. A pro plays Dead Island, kicks zombies to the ground LIKE A BOSS, and the proceeds to decapitate them. And my Short Circuit Wakazashi is Beast because it does like 1800 dmg per hit xD <<

That was kinda my whole point, I'm admitting I'm not a Pro at all. I'm a moderate gamer and when I get scared or nervous I tend to choke - that's why I decided to give myself an advantage in this game. If I ever do manage to get thru it on Single Player, if I feel confident enough, I'll replay it w/out a cheat.
Most games I don't use glitches/cheats on, this particular one I'm willing to do that with until I get good enough without the help (which may be never lol).
I just hope Riptide has better balance for Single Player. I'll be paying close attn. to that in reviews & gamer comments & it will probably
determine if I get it or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 1:32:28 PM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
Hi Nadine,

For instance. As a single player, it's difficult to just go exploring in the town. You get mobbed quickly and it's difficult to fight so many zombies at once. If you jump up on a car though, the mob can't get you and you can use a weapon like a fire axe to take them down from relative safety. You just need to think a little and other options for dealing with situations come to mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 6:04:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2012 6:05:26 PM PDT
Nadine says:
Good advice - that's sort of what I was referring to in my post about 'choking' - when I panic, my thinking goes out the window & I just flail around like an idiot or R U N. lol. I'm not like that in real life, just games for some reason. ???
Thanks for the car tip, I was practicing hopping onto my truck the other day, I think I'll work on that more. =D
Oh & have LOTS of supplies for Deo bombs & molotavs saved up for crowd control

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:17:14 PM PST
NCGuy says:
I didn't have any problems with the difficulty level on the single player game. If anything, I think the game was too easy.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 12:08:05 AM PST
Ernesto says:
some parts of the game where difficult but I agree with people in that the game was not to hard. The game was fun and I cant wait for the next one. I think the best way to play this game was to choose your fights wisely. There were times when I knew that it was better to run away from a fight than to stay and die. you just have to survive and play the way that works best for you

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 2:44:32 PM PST
Tyler says:
Wow, whom ever agrees it was hard doesn't deserve to play the game. I mean I went through the game twice - SOLO! I hated every cut scene as it always showed every character. What I think they should change about single player is the check points. I mean I remember one of the final missions in the jungle when you have to defend a tribe member and using guns or even melee weapons was hard only because the durability and bullets would decrease. So when you start again at the check point you've got less if no bullets or your weapons are worn out.

They don't need to make it easier as it is quite simple enough. If you want to explore every nook and cranny then get a group. If it's one thing they did right it was the difficulty. They need to work on check points and weapon durability/bullets used so when you revive your equipment used it back and at the same levels as before you die.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 6:47:25 AM PST
Nadine says:
>>Tyler says:
Wow, whom ever agrees it was hard doesn't deserve to play the game. I mean I went through the game twice - SOLO! <<
So gamers don't *deserve* to play if they aren't at the same level of achievement as you? Really? I LUV gaming but no matter how much I play, I'm a normal/medium difficulty gamer. Easier is too easy.

And I WOULD get a coop group except I'm just outside FIOS lines for high enough speed to do MP/coop, so I have no choice but to play Dead Island Solo.
I really wished they at least gave me a survivor partner on my fetch quests. Like what they did w/Resident Evil 5.
That would of helped my fear factor.
These things creep me out & I get scared to play lol.
I love it, but that's how it is.

I do totally agree w/ the check point problem regarding degraded weapons/ammo!! That's a problem.
I learned from another gamer to use a backup save on a Flash Drive clip so if that happens, Ijust reload from the previous save point & try again.

I spent a ton of time leveling up on the beginning Zombies & getting alot of $$ so when it gets harder, I'm not screwed. Plus it's good practice. I still have to get into the Banoi Hotel yet to get the armored vehicle.
The walkthru's I've seen have me worried lol
LUV the game - super fun, I just get scared playing alone.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Sep 7, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead Island Riptide Special Edition -Xbox 360
Dead Island Riptide Special Edition -Xbox 360 by Deep Silver (Xbox 360)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (224)