Published on June 15, 2011 by Mark A. Almlie

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Conducted Research
This book tries very hard to make a good point, but it makes one critical mistake, assuming that being in a couple and having children are mutually exclusive. I'm happily married with no kids and I know a lot of great single parents. A lot of the "benefits" that she assumes are given to coupled people are actually give to parents.

In addition her economic...
Published on December 12, 2011 by KTMG

5.0 out of 5 stars a landmark, watershed book on the treatment of singles in America, June 15, 2011
This review is from: Singlism: What It Is, Why It Matters, and How to Stop It (Paperback)
This book is nothing short of a landmark, watershed book on how singles are treated in every sphere of life in America. It is comprehensive and features a wide array of authors, most of whom have advanced degrees in their respective field. Singles are the new silent majority in American households, and I hope that it is not long before they start understanding that they have a collective voice that can meaningfully, artfully, and articulately change the cultural landscape and correct some of the prejudices facing singles today. This book will go a long way toward helping that happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now it is out turn!, August 3, 2013
Christopher L. Richards (Signal Hill, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Being SINGLE and enjoying it. After reading this book and hearing Ms. Depaulo on NPR one afternoon I have come to a decision of what to do with my time in early retirement. Now that the LBGT crowd has fought & got what they need to progress with their lives with the repeal of DOMA it is time for ours. The idea that I have to support the U.S.governments breeding program with my taxes and families receive more than 1235 federal tax breaks is crazy. If you can't afford them don't have them. And it goes on with the vacation & leisure industry. Singles pay as much as double. Kids eat free though. And I'm not talking about cheap places either. How about Hilton line. There are all sorts of freebies if you bring your brood. Or the restaurant industry where they would rather put you at the bar than at a table, even if you have called ahead and reserved a table for one. Again I am talking about 4 & 5 star facilities. I suppose the final insult came when my sister came to visit last summer & spent a week in my new retirement home. The first day she asked "well what is going to happen to all your money when you die?" Then proceded to roll off a list of suggestions: (1) Pay for the grand childrens college education (all 5 of them) (2) and or pay for there first house (all 5 of them). I kept my mouth shut & said it is all going to non-profit organizations & if it makes you feel any better I'll do it in memory of them. Singles are taken advantage all the time. We are 57% of the adult population. It is time to take control. CLR

5.0 out of 5 stars This is yet another beautiful and necessary book, January 8, 2012
This is yet another beautiful and necessary book from a pioneering social psychologist (at least that's what I call her) and I learned so much from this great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marriage-Free, at a Cost., November 21, 2012
This review is from: Singlism (Kindle Edition)
I'm a freelance artist, and someone who is denied health benefits from my girlfriend's company because we are an unmarried opposite-sex couple without the protections of marriage OR domestic-partner laws.

This book speaks to me, because nobody else seems to care about this problem. It's barely on the RADAR, so I am happy to see someone, especially a female, speaking-directly to me on this issue. It's also mind-boggling that a company would willingly deny opposite-sex couples the same rights enjoyed by gay-couples, even if they don't have to cover them. With marriage on the decline, more and more people will notice this unfair treatment. Of course, this exposes a huge problem with employer-based healthcare. Ideology quite literally prevents me from getting coverage offered to married couples and gay domestic partners working for the same company.

I even considered suing my girlfriend's company but after talking to a lawyer, he said that no lawyer would take a case like this pro-bono and that I probably wouldn't win. Why does my state mandate coverage for gay-couples (through domestic partner benefit-sharing) but doesn't allow this same privilege for opposite-sex cohabiting couples? It's utterly medieval to me. Basically, people who are unmarried are punished, because the government prefers marriage over non-marriage. I utterly reject the idea of marriage because I am an atheist and a realist. I want the right to be unmarried and most marriages end in divorce, even with the best of intentions.

And, if one more person suggests that I should 'just get married' to solve the problem of marital-status discrimination, I'm gonna scream. :) By the way, my girlfriend and I have been together going on 15 years now. The fact that a company would deny us healthcare benefit-sharing is asinine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Conducted Research, December 12, 2011

In addition her economic arguments ignore one obvious point. Singles jump through more hoops to get loans not because they are more likely to have a higher debt to income ratio with one income. In addition with only one job you are more prone to lose your only source of income in the case of a layoff. The same thing applies to couples where only one spouse works. Like with all banking, it is about the numbers, not your marital status.

On the whole, its kind of sloppy work for an academic.

Singlism: What It Is, Why It Matters, and How to Stop It
Singlism: What It Is, Why It Matters, and How to Stop It by Bella M. DePaulo (Paperback - May 17, 2011)
$16.40 $13.96