4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent collection of time loved hymns
Published on February 4, 2000 by Jason Slater

3.0 out of 5 stars Old fashion
While I grew up with this music, I was hoping for more pure song CD. Too long intros to the songs
Published on November 11, 2012 by L. Webb

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent collection of time loved hymns, February 4, 2000
This review is from: Sings 22 Favorite Hymns (Audio CD)
I feel that this is one of the better collections I have ever purchased on the gospel end of the gamut. The choice of songs seems to reach across the generations, by highlighting many of the most well known hymns of our time. I particularly am fond of his version of "His Eye Is On The Sparrow". I think that this would be a great album for someone who was looking to purchase their first Tennesse Ernie Ford recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Perfect, October 29, 2003
KZR (Georgetown, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sings 22 Favorite Hymns (Audio CD)
The 1st CD of Mr. Ford's that I purchased was entitled Amazing Grace: 40 Treasured Hymns -- a year later and I still frequently pop that magnificent collection of hymns into the drive. I HAD to have more -- so I purchased 2 other Ernie hymn CDs (including this one) -- and these certainly do not disappoint. While these CDs are comprised of age-old favorite hymns, Mr. Ford's unique, flawless bass voice gives them added life. Blend Mr. Ford's pure, non-pretentious bass voice with a judicious mixture of crisp alto's and tenor's, as some of the selections do, and you are presented with truly, magnificent works of art that seem to never get old. Just drop the CD into the drive, sit back, relax, and let Mr. Ford sing you back home with this soothing collection of favorite hymns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, November 22, 2004
Randy (Kingston Springs, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sings 22 Favorite Hymns (Audio CD)
I bought this CD specifically for the song "My Faith Looks Up To Thee" which is hard to find on a CD. This hymn was written in 1830 by Ray Palmer (lyrics) and put to music later by Lowell Mason, a man Palmer met on the streets of Boston. Mason took home the lyric, wrote a melody, and a few days later found Palmer and told him no matter what Palmer did for the rest of his life, he would be remembered for the hymn.

Another gem here is "Just As I Am Without One Plea." This is the amazing story of Charlotte Elliot. This bedridden, sick woman was feeling sorry she could not help her pastor with his fundraising for charity as she was simply too sick. After writing this hymn in 1835, she was shocked to find copies of it being sold by the thousands. The proceeds were given to the very charity Charlotte thought she could not help. After she died in 1871, others found stacks of letters sent to her from all over the world, thanking her for changing their lives and bringing them to Christ.

These are not the only two historical hymns in collection.

This is not just a CD of the great hymns of our time. This CD is a living history of hymns going far back in time.

It is a treasure.

I am thankful I got a chance to see Tennessee Ernie Ford when he appeared on TV during his glory years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gospel Gathering, June 20, 2002
Timothy A. Womac (Calhoun, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sings 22 Favorite Hymns (Audio CD)
Here's one of the too few cds that have the two ingredients of success: Plenty of material and a variety.
Most of the Ernie Ford gospel cds are based on his early gospel albums. This set includes songs all through his career at Capital records. A variety of his lps are represented here. The highlight though are the songs, "What A Friend", "Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross", and "Almost Persauded". These three songs were on Ernie's "Ernie Ford Sings About Jesus" album released near the end of his Capital Career. Overlooked, these selection has been cut to the bare bones- just Ernie and a guitar. (Very similar to Johnny Cash's American Recordings). Those three tracks make this worthwhile if anything will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid!, February 24, 2003
Liz "Liz Flaherty" (Macy, IN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sings 22 Favorite Hymns (Audio CD)
If there was ever a voice given by God to sing songs of praise, Mr. Ford's is it. I've just sat spellbound for the entire 22 songs. I intended to just listen to those that were familiar to me, the ones I grew up with, but I think I did some growing up this afternoon by listening to all of them. This is a glorious CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hymns, July 27, 2005
This review is from: Sings 22 Favorite Hymns (Audio CD)
Tennessee Ernie Ford was a very popular singer when I was a child and my parents and siblings loved to watch his TV show. He would always end the show with a hymn and I wanted to revisit those songs and the happy days of my youth. The Hymns and Ernie are as good as ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars There when I needed it., February 24, 2006
This review is from: Sings 22 Favorite Hymns (Audio CD)
My mother was dying in a hospice. We needed some music to play for her while she was there. Two of her favorite hymns were on the one cd. It was hard to find that. Amazon came through with the selection, and overnited it to me. My mother passed 2 days later. I'll always be grateful for that cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give me that old time religion!, January 25, 2015
This review is from: Sings 22 Favorite Hymns (Audio CD)
I set out to find a CD that contained the old hymns that I loved as a child, which have now seemed to have disappeared from the churches in my area. But, I also wanted hymns that I could sing along with. Well, with this CD I hit pay dirt!

This CD is a compilation of twenty-two of Tennessee Ernie Ford’s (1919-91) most requested hymns. Sung with Ford’s wonderful voice, the hymns are great to listen to. And more, I found that I could happily sing along with all but a couple which were sung a little to idiosyncratically for me (What a Friend We Have in Jesus is one, sadly).

So, if you want to hear some of those wonderful old hymns again, then I can’t recommend this CD enough. I have it in the CD player in my car, and it is not coming out soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tennessee Ernie Ford, September 30, 2010
The album is wonderful!
The product (CD) itself has a blank spot in every song. It plays well except for that blank spot.
I don't know if there is a scratch or something, but it is annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars JK from OK, January 31, 2010
This review is from: Sings 22 Favorite Hymns (Audio CD)
Timeless treasure... The ol' peapicker's voice is preserved with this CD. After listening, you realize how much you miss singers like Tennessee Ernie Ford.

Sings 22 Favorite Hymns
Sings 22 Favorite Hymns by Tennessee Ernie Ford (Audio CD - 1994)