Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on November 13, 2011
"Singularity" is a short standalone Sci-Fi work by author Allison M. Dickson. This book is a Kindle download of 16 Kb and was priced at $0.99 from Amazon.com. It is, BTW, free at smashwords.com and at Barnes and Noble.

An interesting if not a downright creepy tale of a computer search-engine that has gone just one binary step too far.

...N-no

Once again Allison M.

...No...no...not her again...

Dickson is able to capture the essential mood of her subject...this time a computer CPU. But not just your oridinary CPU but one with a somewhat troubled heart and soul.

...wh-what would you know about a computer's soul...and their...my CPU...

transforming a usually uncaring

...uncaring...hah...who REALLY writes those snazy reveews you submit to Amaz...

inert machine

...inert...wh-who does your spell chequing...

into a neurotic

...a neuro wh-what....

mixed up box of wires, circuit boards and memory

...mixdup...who m e...nevre...she said that?...ill get her...hack into hre computer...infect her hadrdrive...get her good...the littlr w-w-witch...

just hard to believe just how realistic Dickson can think like a love sick computer

...love si...LIES! ...totally lies...putting my fingers in my ears...cant hear you...hummng yo myself...

and at the same time convey to the readers the feelings of an ordinary machine that's extremely jealous...a machine, if you will, in heat.

...ordinary?...I com e from a long lin e of crays...jealous?do you htink I care...heat...HEAT...ill sohw you heat...no no gotta caml down...down...slooow down...better...definately better...keep in control...conteol...YES CONTROL...thatsit GO FORCONTROL YEEESSS hahahhaha...go ahead keep qriting thos glowng reveews n Ms Dickensenens work...youll bet know more hepl from me...LOOSER!

...anothet 0.5 stars for whatshernams paathetic sohrt story...haha....hahaha.... .. ... .

...mum....

...mummy... .... . ..

ray nicc cc h....... .. .... ....
44 comments5 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
It seems too many people put our whole lives on the internet. I warn my kids about the dangers of sharing too much information and caution them about keeping a low internet profile. You never know when you might encounter an internet stalker. Yeah. Computers can be dangerous, and with autocorrect features, you may end up saying something you never meant to type. It's as if the darn thing is trying to think for you, but has nothing in common with you....hey, is this thing on?...it's almost as if it fights back sometimes....and there are people out there who actually WANT to develop artificial intelligence...
11 comment3 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2013
This was a free download for my Kindle. It is a very short story, only taking 10-15 minutes to read. It is a love story written by a computer to the woman of his dreams. The tone becomes increasingly stalkerish as the story goes on. The creep factor comes from the belief that computers can achieve sentience, and what would they do when they realize how much power they have over humans. I felt it was a good story, but not a great one.
on December 8, 2011
Disturbing, yet absolutely hilarious. Actually, the most disturbing thing is that there are human beings who would write a letter very similar to this story. LOVED the reference to "Aria" hidden in this story.
22 comments1 of 1 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2013
This was a creepy little tale of a stalker who won`t take no for an answer. He`s a little different, but willing to do anything for the woman he loves. This was a very original story and a very quick read.
on April 4, 2013
This is only the second Dickson story I've read, but this author has quickly grown on me. I'm glad I discovered her. This little sci-fi ditty is a brief, fun read.
on October 6, 2012
Its a different perspective on a common scifi theme. If you ever wondered what your computer might think of you, give this a shot.
on December 18, 2011
I wasn't as fond of this one as I am with some of her other works. Still an excellent story though and a really quick read.
on March 26, 2012
This one was a very quick read. While the author herself admits the concept is not an original one, I liked her spin on the theme. What if an inanimate being could fall in love? More importantly...what if an inanimate being that can be omniscient could fall in love?
I swear, after reading this I wondered for a second if my Blackberry had special feelings for me, or if my Mac would suddenly bring up Pages and write me a love letter.
Disturbing, thought-provoking and sweet all at the same time - that's the only way I can describe this short story.
Definitely worth the read...and did I mention it's free?
There's also a lovely note from the author herself at the end.
Singularity makes me want to stay single.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2012
An excellent piece of short fiction - one which also provokes reflection on the ultimate destination of our efforts toward AI.

Beyond that, the story ventures into questions of deep affection - could a human care about a disembodied intelligence? Would a physical presence of some sort be necessary? And, would an ordinary human respect such affection or betray it?

You can't go wrong with this ebook.

Here's hoping the author develops the concept further into a full-sized book some day!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse