5.0 out of 5 stars No Words to Describe the Comfort and Coziness
I love this book, and this series, so much. And before I get started, I need to warn you that this series is not for everyone. This series is a soft, comfortable, sweet, and some people would call it fluff, series. I love these types of books, but some people don't.

Published on February 11, 2012 by Andrea

2.0 out of 5 stars went downhill fast
Published on October 6, 2011 by a hargette

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars No Words to Describe the Comfort and Coziness, February 11, 2012

That being said, the review of this particular book: Suzanne Hart, owner of Donut Hearts, and her assistant, Emma, go to the donut shop very early every morning to make donuts. Someone is found dead. Suzanne is determined to find out who the killer is and why. The mystery is very interesting, and for those people who might call this book fluff, the mystery part of it, to me, is very clever. Suzanne, and her best friend, Grace, go sleuthing. Suzanne's friend, loyal George, is a very comforting source of help. I won't tell you who is murdered, so that I won't ruin the book. All I will say, is that I think the mystery part of this book is good (no fluff in this department).

Now on to the coziness of this series: (And yes, there is lots of fluff in this department.) This particular series takes place in small-town North Carolina. Suzanne, the donut shop owner, lives with her mother. The town is cozy. The donut shop is cozy. Suzanne's life is cozy. But most of all, to me, Suzanne's mother's house is cozy. Suzanne, I think, has the best mother in the world. Her mother is so loving and caring. Some people might think her mother is a little too protective, but it is in a good way, not in a controlling way. Most people would love to have a mother like that. And the house in which Suzanne and her mother live: I visualize that place as so cozy and homy, it is indescrible. I sense such warmth and comfort, why would Suzanne ever want to marry and leave? I see the house has a deep pit of protection and love. Suzanne's mother and her house, to me, symbolizes and lives out the true and deep meaning of love, warmth, nurturing, protection, safety, comfort, and downright cozy hominess. In fact, my favorite parts of the book are when Suzanne is at her mother's house. My second favorite parts are in the donut shop. When I read these books, I feel such coziness and comfort.

And as far as the coziness of this particular book, it also had lots of snow. Thick snow falling, several inches piling up, plows having to plow the streets, Suzanne and Emma even having to ride in a sled to work. It was absolutely a lot of fun "working" in the donut shop during those "snow storms", but the best part of all was "being inside" "Momma's" house during all that snow. Snow days are fun, especially when you're trapped inside a house full of love. And in addition to that, best friend Grace stayed with them a few days. It was such a cozy situation. It warmed my heart.

And I must mention characterization and setting: They were both done expertly and perfectly. I love the setting. I also love the characters, which were developed really good. For example:

Suzanne - a good person, an excellent boss.

Momma - the most loving mother in the world.

Grace - the best best friend in the world.

Emma - a hard-working, honest worker. Suzanne had better keep her.

George - the most loyal friend anyone could ever have. Retired cop. Deeply loves and cares about Suzanne and her safety.

Highly recommended if you are a soft, comfortable, possibly fluff, cozy fan. However, if you do not prefer this type of mystery, then by all means, stay away from these books.

And one more thing: I've heard people say that books such as these helped them through hard times, such as surgery, etc., when they needed to get their mind off of the issue at hand. If you are in one of these situations, I think this book, and the whole series, could be that book that could help get you through it. And even if you're not going through anything rough, these books are enjoyable. I call these books my big time comfort books.

2.0 out of 5 stars went downhill fast, October 6, 2011
this book started out very promising but by 100 pages in, I started having serious doubts about how the author was going to make this slow plodding mystery become interesting or create any sense of urgency whatsoever. I'm new to Jessica Beck and this series, so long time followers of the series would know better than me if this was a fluke or if all her books are paced like this. the big problem for me was that the murder happens in the first chapter and you never meet the victim. after they find her body in the snow, you get a few bits and pieces about her in conversation of other characters, and then nothing more about the murder for so long. literally pages and pages and pages were filled with descriptions of food and the heroine eating. i kept thinking that maybe the author was hungry when she was writing this. don't get me wrong, i read a lot of cozy mysteries and don't mind a mention of homecooked meals, some hot coffee and donuts, etc. it adds a cozy touch, i get that. but this was ridiculous. i felt the heroine and her best friend went from meal to meal to mini-meal, with tons of forced banter between them, and NOTHING about the mystery. then at about 100 pages in we returned to that, still knowing very little about the victim and not having a reason to care. i kept plowing through until ultimately i gave up and just skipped to find out who the killer was. what I DID like about this book was the setting. I'm a sucker for snowy weather and small towns and Beck creates a very appealing picture of the town. her descriptions of the snowstorm, and the warmth of Suzanne's mom's house, the cozy decor of the donut shop, etc. were all well-drawn and made you want to snuggle under a blanket. Other than that, this was a let-down for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, January 30, 2011
Loves to Read (Camarillo, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sinister Sprinkles: A Donut Shop Mystery (Donut Shop Mysteries) (Mass Market Paperback)
I started by reading this book from the series first and I enjoyed it so much I had to go back and read them all. I really enjoyed the characters and descriptions. I love books that make you feel the weather and like you are right there with them. I read a lot of books but rarely do reviews but this one is worth it, I don't think you will be disappointed at all, it has all the right things and is funny and makes you laugh. Great cozy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Setting back women's image fifty years., November 7, 2013
I am half way through and I can't go any further. The protagonist left her husband after finding him in bed with some one else. Then he is in trouble, he robs her store and breaks into her friends house and then asks her for all the money(only a thousand dollars) she has to keep her going and she loans it to him. Of course only after "punishing" him alittle more with idle threats. This not a role model for strong independent women.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun, easy read, December 14, 2011
this is in no way a serious, or particularly dramatic book (or series), but it isn't meant to be. This is a light, fun read with ( for the most part)likeable characters. A nice diversion when you just aren't in the mood for something mentally taxing.

4.0 out of 5 stars North Carolina Mystery, August 14, 2011
I like this series a lot. It reminds me a lot of Joanne Fluke's books. So in a way when you read this series you have two mysteries. One is the actual story and the other is, "Who is Jessica Beck?" I don't know if I subscribe to the theories that Joanne Fluke is Jessica Beck or not, but I enjoy both series. In this book, Suzanne breaks up with her boyfriend right before Christmas, only to find out she has to save her ex-husband from being charged with murder. I enjoyed the descriptions of the snow in North Carolina.

4.0 out of 5 stars charming Carolina culinary cozy, December 4, 2010
The townsfolk of April Springs, North Carolina are delighted when snow falls as the Winter Festival begins. Donut Harts owner Suzanne Hart enjoys the cold weather especially when snow covers the town.

However, this time the pristine color is red when someone Fatally Frosted Darlene Higgins using a candy cane as the weapon. Suzanne loathed Darlene who was her ex-husband Max's mistress, but would not have wanted her dead. Meanwhile a shocked Muriel Stevens fears for her life as the victim wore her winter coat and a wig that that matched her hair color. The police suspect somewhat look into the possibility of a wrongful murder, but lean to Max as the killer in a murder of passion. Suzanne reluctantly investigates the homicide in order for Max not to fry by digging into Darlene's past; which leads to an observant killer preparing to murder again and someone else also watching with appreciation in his eyes.

Sinister Sprinkles is a charming Carolina culinary cozy. Readers will enjoy visiting April Springs and take delight in the recipes included with each chapter. Although the motive for the amateur sleuth baker to investigate seems weak, sub-genre fans will enjoy her following the "recipe" how to investigate step by step.

Harriet Klausner

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Way To Get Your Donut Fix Without Adding To Your Waistline, December 31, 2010
VRWC (San Diego, CA.) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this mystery, not predictable or convoluted in any way. As "mystery cozy's" go... this is a pleasant series to read. While I wouldn't normally write a review for this type of "lite" read, I really wanted to offset the previous review that had to do with pricing and not story content. Amazon should create some type of "vendor review" instead of letting the authors take a hit on questionable customer service. Having said that, if you don't like the Kindle price, don't buy it and DON"T write a review about it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Summer reading!!!, June 16, 2014
Loving this series. These books are great for a Summertime reading list. They are fun, and keep you guessing. The characters are well written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sinister Sprinkles, June 11, 2014
The donut Mystery books are nice stories to read in between reading the heavier mystery stories. They are fun and light.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sinister Sprinkles: A Donut Shop Mystery (Donut Shop Mysteries)
Sinister Sprinkles: A Donut Shop Mystery (Donut Shop Mysteries) by Jessica Beck (Mass Market Paperback - November 30, 2010)
$7.99 $7.19