Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon February 11, 2012
I love this book, and this series, so much. And before I get started, I need to warn you that this series is not for everyone. This series is a soft, comfortable, sweet, and some people would call it fluff, series. I love these types of books, but some people don't.

That being said, the review of this particular book: Suzanne Hart, owner of Donut Hearts, and her assistant, Emma, go to the donut shop very early every morning to make donuts. Someone is found dead. Suzanne is determined to find out who the killer is and why. The mystery is very interesting, and for those people who might call this book fluff, the mystery part of it, to me, is very clever. Suzanne, and her best friend, Grace, go sleuthing. Suzanne's friend, loyal George, is a very comforting source of help. I won't tell you who is murdered, so that I won't ruin the book. All I will say, is that I think the mystery part of this book is good (no fluff in this department).

Now on to the coziness of this series: (And yes, there is lots of fluff in this department.) This particular series takes place in small-town North Carolina. Suzanne, the donut shop owner, lives with her mother. The town is cozy. The donut shop is cozy. Suzanne's life is cozy. But most of all, to me, Suzanne's mother's house is cozy. Suzanne, I think, has the best mother in the world. Her mother is so loving and caring. Some people might think her mother is a little too protective, but it is in a good way, not in a controlling way. Most people would love to have a mother like that. And the house in which Suzanne and her mother live: I visualize that place as so cozy and homy, it is indescrible. I sense such warmth and comfort, why would Suzanne ever want to marry and leave? I see the house has a deep pit of protection and love. Suzanne's mother and her house, to me, symbolizes and lives out the true and deep meaning of love, warmth, nurturing, protection, safety, comfort, and downright cozy hominess. In fact, my favorite parts of the book are when Suzanne is at her mother's house. My second favorite parts are in the donut shop. When I read these books, I feel such coziness and comfort.

And as far as the coziness of this particular book, it also had lots of snow. Thick snow falling, several inches piling up, plows having to plow the streets, Suzanne and Emma even having to ride in a sled to work. It was absolutely a lot of fun "working" in the donut shop during those "snow storms", but the best part of all was "being inside" "Momma's" house during all that snow. Snow days are fun, especially when you're trapped inside a house full of love. And in addition to that, best friend Grace stayed with them a few days. It was such a cozy situation. It warmed my heart.

And I must mention characterization and setting: They were both done expertly and perfectly. I love the setting. I also love the characters, which were developed really good. For example:

Suzanne - a good person, an excellent boss.

Momma - the most loving mother in the world.

Grace - the best best friend in the world.

Emma - a hard-working, honest worker. Suzanne had better keep her.

George - the most loyal friend anyone could ever have. Retired cop. Deeply loves and cares about Suzanne and her safety.

Highly recommended if you are a soft, comfortable, possibly fluff, cozy fan. However, if you do not prefer this type of mystery, then by all means, stay away from these books.

And one more thing: I've heard people say that books such as these helped them through hard times, such as surgery, etc., when they needed to get their mind off of the issue at hand. If you are in one of these situations, I think this book, and the whole series, could be that book that could help get you through it. And even if you're not going through anything rough, these books are enjoyable. I call these books my big time comfort books.
66 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2014
I was tempted to give this a 2, but then you might decide not to read them, and that wouldn't be fair because even though I think they are only a 2, I am reading all of the donut mystery books, I am not sure why. I think they are slightly entertaining, or very easy reading for falling asleep at night, or maybe OK for in between better books while you are waiting for the next one of those, or something. There are so many things wrong with them though, that I am overlooking. There are tons of mistakes in the grammar, the main character is not likeable, in fact I may hate her, the storyline is totally unbelievable (like for instance how does it happen that one donut maker in a small town in NC somehow gets involved and even implicated in 12 murders in a row, one in each book I've read. How does that small town even have 12 murders!!), the donut thing is totally annoying (who cares about donuts!), and I even think the author uses some of the same text in multiple books. In fact I think you could pick up another of the books in the middle instead of your own book and not really care. All that said, I am reading them after all, so maybe you should try one and make up your own mind. Really though if you have a better book waiting, read that first!
VINE VOICEon August 14, 2011
I like this series a lot. It reminds me a lot of Joanne Fluke's books. So in a way when you read this series you have two mysteries. One is the actual story and the other is, "Who is Jessica Beck?" I don't know if I subscribe to the theories that Joanne Fluke is Jessica Beck or not, but I enjoy both series. In this book, Suzanne breaks up with her boyfriend right before Christmas, only to find out she has to save her ex-husband from being charged with murder. I enjoyed the descriptions of the snow in North Carolina.
on November 7, 2013
I am half way through and I can't go any further. The protagonist left her husband after finding him in bed with some one else. Then he is in trouble, he robs her store and breaks into her friends house and then asks her for all the money(only a thousand dollars) she has to keep her going and she loans it to him. Of course only after "punishing" him alittle more with idle threats. This not a role model for strong independent women.
on February 19, 2014
I love these mysteries...spunky main character and friend, scary parts, great boyfriend, poor Max but he got what he deserved. I love to kick back and relax and read these books. They are fun. And if you don't eat the donuts, not too fattening. :-)
on March 20, 2013
I must say,I AM ENJOYING THIS SERIES.I usually read heavier thought provoking books,but murder mystery,and if I am really lucky,some paranormal activity thrown in,are still my faves.Good friends,like Grace and George,are as hard to come by in real life,as here,and its a pleasure to see the characters grow and develope
on October 24, 2012
I have read the entire Donut Shop Series of Mysteries and have enjoyed each one of them. They are easy and fun read. Her characters are delightful. Suzanne Hart and her cast of "characters" are fun to read.
on January 5, 2016
Wow.....I am not even finished, have about 50 pages to go on my e-reader....this is the most horrible book I have ever read. Must be for "young adults", maybe??? The writing is horrific and if Suzanne tells Emma and/or Grace what a GREAT FRIEND they are one more time I am seriously going to be ill. Maybe this is some folks cup of tea it's definitely not mine. Total waste of money.
on January 30, 2011
I started by reading this book from the series first and I enjoyed it so much I had to go back and read them all. I really enjoyed the characters and descriptions. I love books that make you feel the weather and like you are right there with them. I read a lot of books but rarely do reviews but this one is worth it, I don't think you will be disappointed at all, it has all the right things and is funny and makes you laugh. Great cozy!
on March 6, 2012
This is another in the Donut Shop Mystery series. I enjoy this writer, and having characters from one book to the other to follow is an added treat. This is good, relaxing, no-thinking reading which all of us need at times.