"Cale & Tate's comparison of family business and the sinking of the Titanic is right on in my opinion.... This wonderful book helps to coach families on how to stay focused on the right things to ensure the business's long term success."
- Cynthia Bigelow; President, R.C. Bigelow, Inc.
"Intriguing, motivational, and innovative , Sink or Swim offers important lessons in family and business management. All family businesses, whether large or small or in manufacturing or service industries, can learn a great deal from this book." - William Waseleski; President, Century Spring Manufacturing Company
"A comprehensive, insightful review of best practices in managing and governing a family business. Should be read by and pored over by all generations of family members who are owners of a family business." - Robert J. Lyons, Jr.; CEO, The Bilco Company
"Sink or Swim provides a fresh, fascinating lens through which to view family enterprise challenges and solutions. This powerful metaphor will leave a strong impression in the minds of business owners, advisors, consultants, researchers and educators in the field."- Judy Green, PhD; Executive Director, The Family Firm Institute
• Uniquely addresses both the "hard side" (business) and "soft side" (psychology) of family-business dynamics
• Provides and explains current and specific data relevant to the family business audience rather than statistics on general business
• Makes use of the Titanic metaphor/case study to convey both practical ideas and emotional urgency, and to provide readers with a deeper understanding of key concepts
• Written by authors who have firsthand familiarity with the unique dynamics that result when "family" intersects with "business"
• Contributions from leading researchers, advisors, and family business owners, providing personal, professional, and academic insights
• A chronology of events originating from the early periods of the industrial revolution to the modern era
• Diagrams, tables, and charts related to family business
• Photographs of Titanic in various stages of development, as well as of Titanic's owners, builders, passengers, and crew
• Bibliography of sources citing leading researchers, advisors, and family business owners; and of primary and secondary sources relating to Titanic
"Sink or Swim is insightful and provides a fresh, fascinating lens through which to view family enterprise challenges and solutions. This haunting and powerful metaphor will surely leave a strong impression in the minds of business owners, professional advisors and consultants, as well as researchers and educators in the field." (Judy Green, Ph.D., Executive Director, Family Firm Institute)
See all Editorial Reviews