5.0 out of 5 stars New music from a classic era.
Published on April 16, 2006 by Ali Kenson

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good
3.5 STARS

Published on June 17, 2006 by Billy Bromly

5.0 out of 5 stars New music from a classic era., April 16, 2006
This review is from: Sins of Commission (Audio CD)
I am a fan of many types of music, however what I really miss are good Rock bands. As time has gone by each generation of rock music has gotten worse. These days most of the new crop of bands are a joke. It is all music for 12 year olds or worse, adults with the minds of 12 year olds. Enter Smoke Ring Days a band NOT geared to immature kids. This is a hard CD to describe. I guess you would file it under rock, but thats in a general sense. There is a real freshness to this album due to the fact that the songs are really good, but not played out. New music from a classic era. This is one hot band, the guitar work rivals some of the best. I really like the songs "Matter of Honor" and "Hit to my Heart" they reminds me a bit of The Pretenders and Hole, totally a$$ kickin. On the other side of the spectrum is "answer to Love" a really lush and beautiful ballad, with great vocal harmonies. "Frontline" and "Head in the Sand" are really cool retro psychedelic songs very "Doors" and "Grateful Dead" kind of jam outs. All in all this is a fresh and interesting album filled with great songs performed very well with a great vocalist. If you are like me and like to keep getting new music but find it hard to find good new bands, this is for you. The hidden bonus tracks on this CD make an already good album evan better. The CD list 7 songs, but there are actually 9.

4.0 out of 5 stars for adventurous musical tastes, April 7, 2006
BONO (New Hyde Park, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sins of Commission (Audio CD)
Having never before heard of them, when a friend of mine at work kept telling me about Smoke Ring Days, a band that he heard on a couple of on-line radio sites, and he finally played me 'Head in the Sand' and 'Frontline', I was impressed enough to go on Amazon.com and buy the CD for myself. Though only comprised of nine (7 listed and 2 hidden) songs, Sins of Commission contains much variation stylistically, but is consistent in its quality, not always an easy feat. From the aforementioned two tracks, which pack heavy punches lyrically, to the Pretenders-like 'Matter of Honor' to the band's imaginative take on 'All of the Good Ones Are Taken,' Sins of Commission is an interesting and inventive album by a band that I know little about, except that it seems they deserve to be heard more. I would recommend this to anyone with adventurous musical taste that likes well-crafted music influenced by the indie-rock scene.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything that is right about Indie Rock Music, April 25, 2006
This review is from: Sins of Commission (Audio CD)
This is my second album by Smoke Ring Days, "Songs of Simple Dreams" was my first. It's hard to say what album I like better. The one thing they both have in common are good songs and always a good performance. "Sins of Commission" is a bit rawer sounding with some splashes of psychedelic music. "Frontline" is a long song with many parts to it, a "Rock n Roll Suite" so to speak. "Head in the Sand" is another really cool song, with a mysterious feel to it. "Shameless Walls" is like a protest song with a mournful acordian type sound in it. What is at the core of all their albums is passionate music that has roots in various worthwhile ideas. I have always liked music that says something. Smoke Ring Days, create everything that is right about Indie Rock Music, power, passion and a clear musical direction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, June 17, 2006
Billy Bromly (Lincoln, Nevada) - See all my reviews
3.5 STARS

Pretty good album, a bit of a mix of styles but it works. I like the raw charm of this CD. A lot of albums for my taste are either to poppy or too noisy, this one meets in the middle pretty well. I like almost all the songs especially "Frontline" with it's dramatic intro and 60's protest attitude. "Bed of nails" is great catchy rock song, that I put on my "best of" Ipod playlist. I think this is a good album that does not sound like the rest of the horde out there and is worth getting if you like good but rough songs with some searing vocals and guitar work.

4.0 out of 5 stars true, fresh, and powerful!!!!!, April 27, 2006
This review is from: Sins of Commission (Audio CD)
Somebody in this band has been doing their homework, studying up on classic influences of the Seventies and Eighties (Chrissie Hynde, Smithereens, Ian Hunter, et al) and synthesizing (no pun intended) them into a CD that is both true to the original spirit but fresh in sound. Fave tracks are the obvious - Matter of Honor, Hit to My Heart, and All of the Good Ones Are Taken - but the best offering here has got to be Frontline, with its scathing, buzzsaw guitars and retro organ chords. Powerful!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, April 18, 2006
This review is from: Sins of Commission (Audio CD)
No fuss no muss, right to the point music. Good songs good playin, not much to dislike. It's worth having a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The thinking-person's band, May 25, 2005
This review is from: Sins of Commission (Audio CD)
The reason I like Smoke Ring Days so much is because they are a thinking-person's band. In this era when most new music is the equivelant of milk toast, these people keep an edge rooted in the spirit of the 60s (Frontline and Shameless Walls are perfect examples). I love the music of Bob Dylan, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty and Neil Young, so this album fits right in for me. Music with meaningful lyrics has always touched my soul deep down inside and this album gets to that place inside me. It's nice to hear music that is original, not the generic flavor of the week. I think this band is somewhat obscure because the music is way over the top for the average nitwit. If you consider yourself an intelligent person, you will like this album. Check out the Songs of Simple Dreams album, it's also a winner.

4.0 out of 5 stars All the songs are so good, November 23, 2005
This review is from: Sins of Commission (Audio CD)
This album is so great that I don't know what to say! Few of these songs were hits and they ALL should have been. Smoke Ring Days never recorded anything like it again. It has a great atmosphere and they flow into each other very well. It's really hard to explain why these songs are so great. There are some nice guitar solos on them. I guess it's just that all the songs are so well written. And they play them with so much passion.This album I think was voted as the best indie album of 2001 in a magazine put out by a record chain, who's name I can't remember. Check out Frontline and Head in the Sand which are fantastic jam songs along the lines of The Doors and The Grateful Dead. Super cool cover art as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, May 24, 2005
This review is from: Sins of Commission (Audio CD)
I have the other two albums, it's hard to pick my favorite. This one is the most heavy. I love the tough raw feel on songs like Matter of Honor and Hit to My Heart (reminds me of the Pretenders best work). Frontlne reminds me of the Doors a bit in it's complex musical makeup. Answer to Love is a beautiful ballad with touching lyrics. All in all, Sins of Commission is a great, well-rounded album. This is one of those albums that tell people you really know your music and culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Of its time and timeless, June 26, 2005
This review is from: Sins of Commission (Audio CD)
Many of the songs here were released when I was a kid, and most of the music I was listening to when I was fifteen has aged, badly. I was listening to whatever was on the mainstream pop/rock stations. Sadly in Alaska anyway, Smoke Ring Days was not a band that got airplay on such stations. Cut to 2005 and I'm listening to a college radio station countdown, and I was intrigued by "Frontline" so I went online to see what I could find out about them, that's when I discovered the existance of Smoke Ring Days. I came on here and decided that after listening to some audio samples and reading other reivews that Sins of Commission was probably a good entry point to their music. The album on first listen sounds both of it's time and timeless, C.R.'s voice and lyrics are quite unlike anything I've ever heard before, every single song on the album is good. To someone who had never heard thier music before it still sounded new, fresh and different. I could hear a little bit of every muscial style I had ever been exposed to in these songs. The standout tracks, at least in my mind, are "Frontline", "All of the Good Ones Are Taken" and "Head in the Sand".

Sins of Commission
Sins of Commission by Smoke Ring Days (Audio CD - 2001)
Rate and Discover Movies