4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift Idea, Use as intended
These are a great idea... for the right person. They are cutely packaged in a book style set with a bag for containing them. Great as a stocking stuffer or small gift idea for someone who prefers their spirits straight. Also a unique conversation starter.

What they will do:
- Drop the temp of your drink by a few degrees
- Keep the drink from being...
Published on January 23, 2012 by Ben C.A. Nettle

3.0 out of 5 stars The Final Answer To Throwing Gravel In Your Hard Liquor
Published 13 months ago by Mark Thornburg

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift Idea, Use as intended, January 23, 2012
Ben C.A. Nettle (The Last Frontier) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sipping Stones - Set of 9 Grey Whisky Chilling Rocks in Gift Box with Muslin Carrying Pouch - Made of 100% Pure Soapstone (Kitchen)

What they will do:
- Drop the temp of your drink by a few degrees
- Keep the drink from being diluted for slow sippers who don't want their drink watered down
- Allow for a reusable set of chilling stones that provide many reuses
- Keep an already chilled drink cool longer

What they won't do:
- Cool a drink to refrigerator temperatures (they just can't, it's a matter of physics)
- Keep a drink ice cold for long periods of time (meant to chill, not super-cool drinks)
- Scrape high quality glasses (soft stone, rounded corners mean little to no scuffing)... no promises on low grade glass

These will work for the intended purpose, which is to keep a chilled drink cool longer, or to add a slight chill to a drink. They can't possibly make a room temperature drink ice cold, because they just don't have the thermal mass to do so. But if kept in the freezer (in a cold spot, not on the door), they will work nicely for someone that absolutely must have their spirits straight. Many people are used to ice diluted drinks, and no, these cannot compete with the thermal mass of frozen water, but the trade off is, they won't dilute the drink either.

As long as you know what you're getting when you buy them, these are great. Just don't expect them to be something they're not.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Final Answer To Throwing Gravel In Your Hard Liquor, August 7, 2013
If you're the type of person who has long wondered how the whiskey drinking experience can be furthered only by the introduction of metamorphic rock, wonder no more friends. This humble bag of nine finely cleaved and tumbled soapstones has blown the door off the hinges as far as letting people know that YOU are a man of taste, of impeachable character, of action and boldness, because YOU have taken the step in life to introduce gravel into your old fashioned glass.

After several large whiskeys and much strenuous hands-on research, I have found that the overarching purpose of this product is not to reduce the temperature of your favorite bourbon by a few degrees or to even save it from the unthinkable fate of having sooty ice dilute it. The main purpose of this product is to make a statement. A statement that says, "I put rocks in my drink, and you don't."

Sure, It manages to cool the whiskey somewhat, and yes, I suppose the appalling watery saturation of your libation is spared, but in the end, you're carrying around a glass full of quarry rubble. I tried to convince myself at the beginning of this purchase that this was going to sky-rocket my enjoyment of whiskeys exponentially, perhaps resulting in a parade being thrown in my honor. Ultimately, I ended up being even more insufferably pedantic than I usually am, which I was pretty sure couldn't happen after the time I purchased that replica Albrecht Dürer woodcut. I tried to convince myself otherwise, but let's not try to lie to ourselves, if you're buying this product, you're a pedantic pedant whom gleefully shows off any and all pendants. The muslin carrying pouch should have tipped me off about that. I don't even know what the hell 'muslin' is (sounds like some sort of tiny burrowing mammal) but I make a point to tell everybody that's what it is when I show up fashionably late to soirees, demurely asking my host if I could stash my stones in their freezer. That is always a perfect segue into why I have the stones, what their function is, and why I am better than everybody. It's because I have talc-schist in my hard liquor. That's why.

In closing, this product is for you if your mission statement runs along the lines of: "I don't cough at the opera, I don't break my bread while dining, and I don't put filthy ice-cubes in my drinks like the rest of you dirt farming philistines." Also, these really don't do a damned thing in gin and tonics, and please for the love of god don't use them to chill white wine. Putting an extra half pound of masonry in a delicately constructed top heavy wine glass will ultimately end in disaster. Trust me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely packaged, nice price., January 18, 2012
Some customers say these stones do not make the drinks cold enough, however the point of these stones is to bring whisky or other liquor to a cooler temperature without shocking it or ruining the flavor with ice. If you want truly cold drinks, use ice or chill your liquor in the freezer. If you prefer your alcohol to taste as it should at the temperature it should be (think the coolness of a basement or cellar), then these work perfectly for that purpose. These particular stones are a good value and come in an attractive package perfect for gift giving.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whisky Stone, December 20, 2011
Worked pretty well. Cooled whiskey without watering it down. Received as a gift and very happy. I would recommend to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boyfriend loves these!!, August 17, 2012
My boyfriend is a whiskey lover. So I bought this with the Stolzle Glencairn Whiskey Glasses, and he was in heaven for his birthday! He's always mentioned he wanted soap stones. I did a lot of research before buying these, you have to watch because some say they are soap stone, but they aren't 100% and can leave a nasty residue in your drinks. These are 100% soapstone and have been the best gift I've probably ever given him. He had friends over just so he could show them off. I would recommend buying two sets. I am glad that I did, so he had enough to share with company. If you know a whiskey lover or anyone who would simply love the feel of sophistication when using these stones, they are a must buy!

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want your whiskey cold, you'll have to suffer with some water., May 29, 2012
On line shopper (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
A nice idea and a pretty package, the problem is that the soapstone doesn't get and stay cold enough. I followed instructions carefully, leaving the stones in the freezer for several days before use and only filling the glass to just below the height of the stones (about half a jigger of whiskey or less for three stones). The whiskey got a bit cooler, but not cold. While, as the instructions indicated, I waited (understandably, temperature transfer is slower than with melting ice) the added time didn't help much: after about 15 minutes the temperature of the stones was about the same as the liquid. (Air temperature was about 75 degrees.) These just don't get enough whiskey cold enough, fast enough. One ice cube is a much better alternative. Too bad, it was a nice idea.

1.0 out of 5 stars No chilling to be found here., October 17, 2013
Amazon Customer (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
So, as for positives: these stones look great, they arrive packaged nicely, and the quality seems high. I don't know much about polishing rocks into squares, but they seem to have that part nailed down.

Unfortunately, form does not trump function in this case, and these stones do not even remotely live up to the single function that they are created for: "chilling."

After being in the freezer for more than 24 hours, they just sat in my scotch, looking pretty but serving no purpose.

In the future, if I need a little chill on my whiskey, I'll throw it into the freezer for a few seconds.

1.0 out of 5 stars Neat idea in theory but not practical in application, July 12, 2013
This was a birthday gift for a Scotch/Whiskey lover. The idea of cooling a few sips of single malt down without "watering it down" with melting ice cubes sounded like a win/win. However, after seeing him enjoy a drink several times without using the stones, I inquired as to why they weren't in his cup. He said it just didn't work. He was better off chilling the glass before pouring the drink than using the stones. So now he's trying to find another creative use for the small blocks of soapstone (we're taking suggestions).

5.0 out of 5 stars wonder, October 13, 2011
C. Blume "out door book worm :)" (Gods country aka: Upper Michigan) - See all my reviews
every one who has seen this just loves this, the whiskey sipping stones are wonderfully packaged in a gift box where the top opens like a book and nestled inside are the stones and bag for storage. I am going to buy more for Christmas gifts! they do not retain any residual odor or taste of previous drink. If you are thinking about these. I highly recommend these for yourself and for the hard to get person. and don't forget you can use them in any drink.

2.0 out of 5 stars Seemed like a great concept but didn't really work, April 8, 2012
Christine Yung (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought these for my husband who likes drinking scotch neat because he doesn't like the ice melted and we tried them out the other night with just a little over an ounce of scotch and despite having the stones in the freezer for a few hours beforehand and using 4 stones, it didn't really make the scotch much cooler than room temperature so I'm returning them because while they did feel cool to the touch, they just didn't really chill the scotch any quicker or more so than just putting the glass in the freezer for 10 minutes.