5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and Real!
Published on June 23, 2006 by California Mom

2.0 out of 5 stars the blog is better
I enjoyed the author's blog so much that I went out and got her book. Sad to say it was not as genuine, funny, touching, or engaging as her on-line writing. too bad!
Published on October 18, 2009 by ABF

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and Real!, June 23, 2006
This review is from: Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom (Paperback)
I truly enjoyed and relate to this book. Being a mother, although wonderful, is much more challenging than I ever imagined. Those who have left negative reviews need to respect that the author is sharing her experiences as a mother, from her perspective. Nowhere does she suggest that HER way of doing things is the "best" way, or the only way. In fact, I don't hear her advocating ANYTHING in this book other than being respectful and supportive of one another as mothers. She is making the all too important and often overlooked point that there are MANY different "good" ways of parenting, and we as mothers should respect one another's choices, discard competitive subtexts, and be supportive of one another. Refering to one another as "sissies" as a previous reviewer did and believing (or perceiving) that because you have had success with a particular parenting style or choice that you can make presumptions and judgments about another mother who is struggling or made a less "popular" choice in that area is both ignorant and overly simplistic, and is most likely indicative of one's own insecurities as a parent. I applaud Stefanie for her honesty and candor. I will be sharing this book with many friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars sooo funny!!, June 27, 2006
gumtrucker "gumtrucker" (Perkasie, PA United States) - See all my reviews
If you are a super-mom skip this book. If you are like the rest of us and struggling day-to-day this is a must read. I laughed out loud many times. For those of us that had an "active social life" pre-baby and hope to have one in the next 20 years-you will totally relate to this book. I too,will also include this as my new baby shower gift must haves!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Baby Shower Hit!, March 17, 2007
I purchased this book as a baby shower gift for a new mom who was having her second child in 14 months. It was the hit of the party and everyone there, especially Grandma and older "been there, done that" moms, had a huge laugh over the suggestions contained within.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh Out Loud and TRUE!, January 21, 2009
Heather LaRee (Central Coast, California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I read some of the one-star reviews and hey, everyone has a right to their opinion and thanks amazon for giving us the venue to vent and to applaud.

I ordered this book for research on a writing project since my kids are now in their twenties and I needed updating.

While it may not help a new mom who is SERIOUS (about being serious about being an educated and informed wonderfully loving mother)...this book is a FABULOUS companion piece that will help her NOT BE SO SERIOUS.

It is irreverent (like Annie Lamott's "Operating Instructions", it makes fun of stuff I've done and stuff I've watched others do and wondered, "are they right and I'm wrong...or I'm right and they're wrong". I completely get Wilder-Taylor's love and devotion for her daughter (just like Lamott's for her Sam). They just know how to also be FUNNY!

I wish I had both of these books when my boys were babies!

I have been laughing out loud -- so much so that my husband hunts me down to make sure I'm okay. Bravo Stefanie Wilder-Taylor!

You have offered A LOT of really practical, relevant, honest and thoughtful information here. AND YOU'RE FUNNY.

I don't see that you're being judgmental at all. If anything, I'm getting over and over again that your bottom line is: there is no ONE way and we all find our own way in this new mom adventure. (and we're still learning)

I'm ordering a copy right now for a new mom of a one-month old because you share the truth and you make us laugh. And she will feel relieved that she can pick up your book - randomly open to any page - and receive HELP along with LAUGHTER. Both count!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest book ever, December 28, 2011
This book had me laughing the entire time... I wouldn't say that this is a reference guide of any sort. It's just a funny book that says most things we are thinking but just prob won't say outloud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, August 18, 2009
KS (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
laugh out loud funny. The worst part about this book is that it had to end. A must-read for any new or expectant mommy. Wish I'd read it earlier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good...for the right person, March 7, 2014
This is a great book for the sarcastic, dry humor mother in your life. But don't buy for one of those "oh I love my child so, I will never allow her from my side and I love everything about mother hood, oh but the hills are alive with music" type of mothers. Those mothers are great, really but they will not enjoy this book. This is more for your "I love my kid so much but dayum I would love to sleep until noon just once, and that women could just stop singing about the freakin' hills already" type of mom. Both equally good, but just be forewarned. I'm somewhere in between and I really liked most of it, and even found it helpful but some parts were just...not for me I guess you would say.

5.0 out of 5 stars great gift for a mew mom, September 13, 2013
This was just the laugh I needed around the time that my son was 3 months old and I spent 12 hours a day breastfeeding him.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to keep it for myself!, December 15, 2011
I just received this book. Its for my sister, a new mommy to be. I read through it a bit and enjoy the sense of humor. I want to keep it to read first, lol. I think she's really going to enjoy it. I had to scour the internet to find a book for her that wasn't one of those typical preachy "do or die" baby books, which I'm sure she'll receive plenty off. This should be a nice reprieve in the midst of her upcoming (happy)madness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book! Great seller!, November 7, 2011
great seller! great book- beyond funny and light hearted for new moms to be. I laughed so hard out loud several times!

fast shipping too

Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom
Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom by Stefanie Wilder-Taylor (Paperback - April 1, 2006)
$15.00 $10.78