Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:$11.99+ $3.99 shipping

on January 22, 2004
I used to work part-time at Tower Records. Every day when you work at Tower, you get to play a CD sometime during the course of your shift. Whenever I played this CD, customers would flock up to the front counter wanting to know what it was and where in the store they could find it (the first time the copy I was playing was the only copy in the store -- the first customer who asked me for it got to buy it right off the CD player and I had to special-order it for a bunch of other people). It got so popular in the store that the manager ordered a bunch and put the CD on one of the preview-play stations.
Sirens of Song: Classic Torch Singers has fifteen magnificent songs from some of the greatest songbirds of the entire twentieth century. The sound quality is excellent and I love that artwork!

The CD opens with Julie London singing one of her signature songs, "Cry me A River." I don't think anyone ever sang "Cry Me A River" any better than the great Julie London sang it; and just one listen should prove this to you. I really like ho Julie opens up during this song and lets her heartfelt passion spread out to her listeners--it's quite majestic. Sarah Vaughan also does "Black Coffee" with panache; Sarah could sing quite well and this tune was one of her best ever in my opinion. Sarah's excellent sense of timing helps her performance immeasurably and "Black Coffee" is easily a highlight of this album.

Ella Fitzgerald, the First Lady Of Song, performs "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You;" Ella sings this so well there's no doubt as to why she was so popular whenever she performed. Ella's voice is rich, warm and very vibrant and I like that a lot. She sure did give her all! Judy Garland also does a sublime rendition of "But Not For Me;" this song was one that Judy first sang in the MGM film Girl Crazy; and Judy still sang it beyond perfection many years later when this was recorded. Great!

Lena Horne performs "Stormy Weather" with heart and soul; and the big band arrangement enhances the natural beauty of this ballad. Lena sings this with her heart wide open and "Stormy Weather" is yet another highlight of this CD. Marlene Dietrich also sings her best on "Come Rain Or Come Shine" Marlene did this up right! I'm very impressed by Marlene's treatment for "Come Rain Or Come Shine."

Edith Piaf sings an English version of "La Vie En Rose;" this was one of Edith's signature songs and her English version of this ballad sounds heavenly to me. There's also Dinah Washington doing "What A Difference A Day Makes;" "What A Difference A Day Makes" sounds exciting whenever I hear Dinah sing this out so strong!

LaVern Baker performs "Soul On Fire" with panache; her fine treatment of "Soul On Fire" rocks gently and the arrangement that goes with LaVern's singing couldn't be better. The CD also ends very nicely with Ruth Brown's "I'll Wait For You." "I'll Wait For You" features Ruth Brown at her very best and that's quite all right by me!

Overall, this is an excellent CD for people everywhere who love classic pop vocals and the songbirds featured on this CD. You won't be disappointed!
on July 6, 2001
It is wonderful! All of the songs bring one to a place of deep blue emotion. Soothing and Sassy, these torch singers will set soul ablaze with their mezmarizing lyrics and melodies. You'll love it and so will your Mother, Father , Sister , Brother, Spouse...You get now, so get it already!
on March 24, 2001
Love this CD. I fell in love with torch music because of this CD. Anyone I play this for wants a copy of it. I would recommend this to anyone, no matter what your favorite style of music is. You will love this.
on October 21, 2005
Can you hear the soothing rawness of the needle landing on the vinyl? Can you smell the rich ruby lip rouge seducing the sound stage? Can you see the swaying sirens blessed with longing lungs and forelorn hearts? Here you have Edith Piaf and Etta James, the songs Cry Me a River and Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. This collection sealed my arrival to true womanhood and music lover land. Listening to these ladies, true Torch Singers, I felt transported back to the hallways of my parents' high schools and my grandparents' parlour rooms. The biographical writings contained in the CD jacket makes for good reading as a luxe bonus. I've had this tremendous collections for years now but all that currently remains is the gorgeous CD cover, so I'm putting a freshly sealed copy in my shopping cart, as should you. Bought during a strange Eartha Kitt fixation, this CD offers a wealth of long satisfying listening pleasures. Run a bath on a rainy day or take a stroll through a fresh snowfall. Whatever ambient escape you desire, this auric interlude will warm you with blankets of nostalgic bliss.
on March 22, 2013
This is my absolute favorite CD. The torch songs are well-chosen and give a nice representation of the classic female "torch" singers of the past. Some of the songs are just haunting. Even my teenage daughters ask me to replay some of the songs when we listen to this CD in the car, especially "At Last" sung by Etta James. My personal favorite is "Since I Fell For You" sung by Nina Simone.
VINE VOICEon January 23, 2014
How can you go wront with these classics? Songs by Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, Edith Piaf etc. "Cry Me a River" by Julie London or "Stormy Blues" by Billie Holiday would have sold me on the albumn. The rest are gravy!
on January 3, 2000
Heard the CD in a store in Newburyport, MA & HAD to have it...so I got on line to Amazon. Nice selection of songs ... can be great background music for those lazy days or entertaining or forefront music to enjoy. Smooth, cool jazz that isn't tooooo lazy or chaotic or eclectic...
on February 14, 2004
I appreciate good jazz vocals; but, these are just ok jazz vocals, with big name singers. I guess I had expected the songs to be cleaned up a bit - you know digitally perfect. While there are a lot of wonderful songs here, by most of the original performers, that does not make them the best versions of the songs. Unfortunately the feel of the songs gradually goes from lounge jazz (good) to early Doo-whop (just ok). Still, if you're in the mood for some historic / nostalgic performances by the first first ladies of music, there is a place in your collection for this disk. I personally enjoyed Judy Garland's: But Not For Me.

The one other thing about the CD I didn't care for was the marketing technique used. It is an honorable thing to support shelters for battered women; however, it is not necessary to employ subtle, emotional male-bashing in the liner notes. Our two genders will never achieve equality, if they can't treat each other with respect and consideration.
on August 29, 2000
This CD is fabulous - a must-have for those who love the classic torch singers.