Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on June 7, 2013
I think this book is a work of genius. I'm not going to say much about it because mostly everything has already been said (better!) in other reviews.

HOWEVER - the kindle edition is full of horrendous spelling, punctuation and formatting mistakes. It is close to unbearable and made me quite angry. I don't see why an e-book is any less worthy of an editor/proofreader than a physical book, especially if you're paying good money for it.
1212 comments|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2013
My rating is not based on the content of the book, this is specifically about the quality of the Kindle edition--or lack thereof!

Evidently, this book was scanned into the computer with cheap OCR (optical character recognition) software and no effort was made to spellcheck or proofread. I estimate that there was at least one error per page (or Kindle "screenful"), which is ridiculous--that is significantly more than most free Kindle books taken from Project Gutenberg, for example.

To give you an idea of what errors to expect:
- page numbers are frequently found glommed onto the end of words, like "with124"
- apostrophes are almost never recognized, so the software ends up interpreting them as part of a letter, so compound words like "I'll" become "Tll"

I might expect this low quality from free or 99-cent ebooks that were ripped from public domain sources and thrown together by an amateur, but not from a Kindle book with a regular price over $5 (even with the occasional sale price of $2). I wonder if it's possible to complain to the publisher? In any case, I now know not to purchase other Kindle books from this "Rosetta Books" series, even if they are on sale this month.
on June 13, 2016
I am a fan. 'Breakfast of Champions', 'Cat's Cradle', 'slaughterhouse five' all great. 'Galapagos' and others like 'goodbye mr rosewater' are ok. This one is not, by far. Stick to others, please.
on August 16, 2015
The first 100 or so pages, I thought the plot was somewhat original, and I kept hoping the story would get better. Final half of the book, I decided the author was losing it in a deranged amphetamine and cocaine confusion. The ending was a big let down. I have since read that the author was a big user of cocaine and amphetamines about the time the book was written. (Around 1960). Don't waste your time nor money - There is much better sci fi out there.
on May 17, 2016
Satirical
on January 14, 2015
Maybe it's me (probably), but as famous as Vonnegut is, I have never enjoyed one of his books. Usually I don't even try after the first few chapters. But this sounded so good, I thought I would tough it out.
I almost made it to the end, but when the chapter says EPILOGUE, and there was another 10% of the book to go, I threw in the towel. Maybe I'll go back and finish.
Vonnegut has too much nonsensical writing. The characters aren't likable. The plot(s) is unbelievable.
Actually, my main gripe is for a science fiction book, there's not much science and it's all fiction. Unbelievable fiction at that. A good sci-fi book should make one want to gasp and say "That's a great concept! I'd really like to see / participate in it."
So unless you're a real fan of Vonnegut, I recommend a pass.
on March 30, 2016
If you want a moral tale - maybe this book would suit you.
If you want science fiction with plot, characters and action look elsewhere.
on March 8, 2016
Apparently I didn't understand it. I stopped on the first chapter. Sorry, it was a waste of my time. Thought it was different
on July 24, 2014
To be honest this was my first Vonnegut book. I'm sad to say that I was thoroughly disappointed. I had heard many great things about this book, but it didn't live up to the hype. Usually, I devour books and can't put them down. I actually had to force myself to finish this one.
on January 18, 2014
A self-important, rambling parody of nothing in particular. Tediously avant garde constructions just clever enough to trick you into reading the next page, ultimately amounting to nothing.