Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 2, 2012
The Edge is a cool looking radio and the sound quality is great. I purchased it because I needed to replace my Delphi Skifi2. I was surprised this radio does not have the following things that I am used to seeing on all of my previous radios:

1. This radio only has 10 presets, not 30.
2. There is not a sports/stocks ticker.
3. TuneSelect(name?) is not on this radio. It will not alert you when your favorite songs/artists come on.

These features have become a staple to me, and I am not really sure why they were not included. Also, the screen is a color screen and has background images behind each station. Why? The images are generic(not album covers or station images) and really serve no purpose other than to distract from the text. The channel labels are the logos, not the text name of the channels which in some cases makes it difficult to tell what station you are on.

A new feature, which I like, is the category select feature which allows you to scroll through the categories instead of just scrolling through all of the channels.

I kind of regret this purchase and I am surprised that Audiovox would create a radio which lacks so many features that made other radios easy to use. However, there are not many choices out there and if sound quality is all you care about, this is not a bad choice.
on January 1, 2012
This is a basic, no-frills radio that can receive the new XM 2.0 channels. There is very little functionality included with this radio besides that needed to listen to a single XM radio channel at a time.

If you are used to XM Radios such as the XpressRC/RCi which support alerting you when your favorite artist or sports team comes on, watching sports/stock tickers, recording a song, or showing a clock, this radio cannot do any of these. No remote control is included, although universal XM remotes can be purchased separately. The 30-minute replay buffer is limited to a single channel; swap radio channels by accident and you lose your entire back buffer.

I cannot help but feel this radio could be much more polished for the price given what past XM radios had and a bit more work.

On the positive side, the XM 2.0 radio channel support is a nice touch, with all XM Radio channels except those only on the Internet available given the appropriate subscription. This radio is also compatible with older Dock and Play equipment like those used for the XpressRC series (although the newer included dock may change the power jack size & FM Transmitter jack location compared to older docks).

But if you intend to use this radio at home or where you will be more than a few feet away from the display, I highly recommend that you look at this radio in person prior to purchasing it. The font sizes used on this radio are smaller than on other XM Radios I have used (especially for the song titles), and there is no ability to adjust the font size used to make the display more readable from a distance.
on April 20, 2012
I had a Skyfi2 previous to this. Although that product wasn't awesome either, it did have a few important features on top of the Edge.

Pros:
- More channels
- Buttons are reasonably feel on the display without looking at the unit
- Black and a little smaller than my previous unit. Hopefully less of a target for thieves.

Cons:
- No display auto-off. When driving at night you have to go into the menu and turn down the brightness, or just turn off the radio altogether
- No remote. Often is is easier to hold a remote than reach for the radio.
- No Tune Select. Sorry Kathy Madigan, I won't hear you as much anymore.
- Color display with static graphics. Distracting in the car.
- Less programmable stations. Only 10.
VINE VOICEon July 17, 2013
Edition: Edge|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The SiriusXM SX1EV1 Edge Dock-and-Play Satellite Radio is a very good device, delivering what it's meant to do quite well. It comes with an installation card to have it professionally installed by a licensed dealer, but I strongly recommend against doing this. For one thing, even with the card it'll cost $70 to have it done, and for that price all they do is run the wire to the cigarette lighter rather than coupling it to the fuse box. Anyone can do this basic installation for free, so the "free" installation card is essentially useless. The installation was easy, I just recommend using lots of zip or velcro ties and hiding it behind the car's weather stripping/insulation where possible. For best reception, install the antenna on the roof. It's metallic and very strong so it won't fall off your car. Run the wire along the side of the window, and the wire's quite thin so it's easy to conceal.

I can't complain too much about the reception, it works in 98% of areas, the only times you'll run into reception problems is if you're in a garage or in any area with large buildings or tall trees, but this is random, generally speaking I have no issues with listening to any station, and the signal is flawless when it's audible since it's satellite, no distortions.

You can use the number buttons to set 10 different favorites, 0-9. To make a favorite, simply find your station, then press and hold the number button you want for 2-3 seconds and it'll automatically store it.

The only downside I've found with this unit's design is the channel tuner which is the large round button on the bottom right; it's too sensitive when channel surfing, so you have to just barely tune it to get the next channel. Other than that, the playback buttons are easy to use and the display has the name of the artist, the album and sometimes the year it came out, which is nice when you don't know the name of the artist singing.

Beyond that, it's easy to set up. Plug it into your car's mp3 audio output by using the male to male 3.5 mm cable, set your stereo to the aux input, plug the power and antenna in, then connect the unit to your dashboard either via the stand with a strong sticker on the bottom, or use the air vent connector. I recommend using the stand with the sticker on the bottom since anything that's connected to an air vent will be heavily affected by the temperature of the air coming out, whether it's cold or hot, and over time that will have a detrimental effect on the electronics of the radio (electronics don't fare well with extreme temperature changes in the long run). If you don't have a newer car with the mp3 3.5 mm audio output, you'll have to buy a separate adapter not included with this.

This unit can be detached and used inside provided that you have the docking station, which is also sold separately. Personally I don't see the need for this since it's meant for my car and I have plenty of methods for playing music inside, but it's a neat feature nonetheless for those that don't have a PC, stereo or other audio playback at home.

Another bonus with this unit is an included $50 gift card for the SiriusXM satellite radio subscription. I opted for the $10/month music subscription which has plenty of options including news stations, so this card provides for a few months of free subscription (activation fee eats up about $15), which was a nice surprise.

If they improve the reception and the channel tuner, this would be a perfect 5/5, but as it stands it's still a worthy contender in the satellite radio market.
on March 21, 2014
trash. bought this and paid $160 for a subscription for 6 months. Sirius is absolute garbage. on a 20 mile ride to work I literally hear the same song 3 times. if I want that I would put my ipod on repeat. to many cords hanging out as well. save yourself money. use an ipod or Pandora. don't waste money on this.
on December 28, 2011
I selected this unit because of the excellent reviews from another store's web site and that it had an FM transmitter which is a good option if your car radio does not have am audio AUX jack. Note the brand name of the unit I bought was SiriusXM, but the model number matches this Amazon listing.

The installation guide insists that the magnetic antenna as to be installed outside. The guide talks the reader through a process of temporarily removing weather stripping on the vehicle door and putting the antenna wire under the weather stripping. I decided that destroying by two year old pickup truck was not for me, so before going to far, I verified that I could put the antenna on the dash by the windshield and get reception. I then drove for a couple miles on a cloudy day and had no interruptions in service.

Satisfied, I then used the included vent clip to mount the unit to a vent. Again, I have no interest in destroying my new truck, so the vent option versus screwing into dash was the only acceptable approach.

The only challenging part was to get the FM transmitter to work with my truck's radio. Per the instructions I tune the truck radio and XM radio to an unused frequency with no joy. I was convinced that the XM radio was defective, and came close considering a plan B which would have been to buy a separate amplifier and speakers. However I decided to keep trying, and managed to find three FM frequencies that would pickup the XM transmission. My only concern is that if use the XM on an extended road trip, I do not want to be fumbling every 100 miles or so to find unused frequencies. I will add an AUX jack if faced with that.

My goal is to be able to take my XM radio with me when I fly to other cities and rent a car. To do that I plan to mount the XM radio to a friction pad such as that used for a GPS. The XM radio came with a dash mount fitting with a ball socket that attaches to the XM radio. Unfortunately the ball joint is a different size then that used for my GPS and the base of the dash mount fitting is too big for my GPS friction pad. What I plan to do is cut a plastic disk that fits my GPS friction pad and then screw it to the XM dash mount fitting using the existing holes.

Update: the plastic disk option did not pan out for my GPS friction pad. Instead I bought an inexpensive friction pad that was on clearance for $5. I then bought a pair of chrome drawer knobs and then drilled two holes of slightly smaller diameter than the screws for the knobs into the newly purchased friction pad to fit the holes of the dash mount fitting. Then drove the screws into the bottom of the pad. Slipped the dash mount onto the protruding screws and screwed the knobs on. Result looks neat and sharp. Now I have a truly portable satellite radio.
on January 14, 2014
Bought the XM boombox, but SURPISE it does not come with a radio (should have read the fine print but that WAS MY fault) so got this to complete the package. Was 100% pleased. Purchase requires XM ACTIVATION SO BE SURE TO ASK TO COMBINE ACCOUNTS FOR A BETTER PRICE.
on September 18, 2013
This satellite radio is simple to use, beautiful, and relatively inexpensive.
I have it plugged in through the auxiliary port in my vehicle's current radio and sound quality is perfect. I'm not sure what it would sound like hooking it up one of the other ways, but it seemed like this was the easiest solution at the best quality. I'm sure it would be more difficult one of the other ways, with FM radio channels and more complications, but it works extremely well for me through the Aux input.
I do wish the antenna cable was a little longer. It will probably work with most vehicles; however, I have a GMC Acadia with third row seating. Running from the rear of the roof through the interior along the edges just tucked under the carpet, the tension of the cable is tight when I plug it in. An extra 6" would have been enough to not stretch it. An extra 1' would have really helped.
on January 12, 2015
I love this receiver and the screen is so vivid. My favorite feature is being able to save songs or artists so when their on it let's me know. Having the buttons and knob lit is a huge plus. The remote save your back if you drive way back from the steering wheel like I do.
on September 1, 2015
Very satisfied...replaced the previous (same model) because of docking problems. I have two boom boxes one at home and one at work so I was glad I found an exact duplicate so I would not have to replace boom boxes.