Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sister Act / Sister Act 2 - Back in the Habit
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

on December 7, 2007
I have no idea how long since I first watched this movie. Even though I generally lean towards drama and true crime rather than comedy, I fell in love with Sister Act and Whoopi Goldberg. Like her character, Deloris, I also enjoyed music from the 60s and enjoyed the opening act. When she was talked into hiding out at the convent, the action slowed down a little, though certain parts were funny, such as when she, and Sisters Mary Patrick and Mary Robert entered a bar. However, the action took off when she became head of the choir and introduced a bit of deep shoulder action to the nuns. Out of respect for those who still have not seen this movie, I won't say more about the contents. The DVD, which I bought in a set with the sequel Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit, it played beautifully with no pausing as sometimes happens. It was very easy to remove the disk from its holder and replace after viewing the disk. I enjoyed the brief look at how the movie was made in the special features, but unfortunately forget what it consisted of. I did feel it was worth watching before watching the movie. Whether you buy just Sister Act, or as a set with the sequel, it should tickle your funny bone.
on March 1, 2008
It seems as though lately, nearly all movie studios are jumping onto a new trend in DVD releases - double, triple, even quadruple features which consist of taking ever-so-slightly related catalogue DVD releases and packaging them together. These are executed in several ways, ranging from simply packaging existing DVDs together, in the case of Buena Vista Home Entertainment's releases, or putting existing DVDs onto flippers, in the case of some of Warner Bros.' releases. Some sets put all the DVDs into one case, while others use a box with slim DVD cases inside. No matter how they're executed, these sets can usually be found for fifteen dollars or less in stores such as Wal Mart.

On one hand, I kinda like this trend. It's a great value for your dollar, and who isn't looking for THAT these days? On the other hand, I feel like if they're going to do this, they could update some of these DVDs.

Take this Sister Act 2-Movie Collection DVD. I picked this up because I LOVE these movies. Love love love. And for less than fifteen dollars, it's a great value. However, I'd have liked to see Touchstone Home Entertainment make this set with new DVD editions.

Both DVDs feature non-anamorphic widescreen transfers likely taken from laserdisc masters. Both are fairly good and clean, but brand new anamorphic digital transfers would have been much better. Both DVDs feature a Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround English track and a French language track and the film's original theatrical trailer. The first film's DVD also includes a making-of featurette and two music videos.

What Touchstone could have done was make a new 2-Disc set with new Special Edition DVDs of both films. They could have included new anamorphic digital transfers, new making-of featurettes for both films where cast and crew members could look back on the films and their success, new audio commentaries from cast and crew, music-only audio tracks, and other such bonus materials which would have made this an amazing set.

Despite these flaws, I can't really NOT recommend this DVD set to fans of the Sister Act films. If you only enjoy one or the other, you're better off getting the one film you enjoy on DVD by itself. However, if you're a fan of both films, like I am, this is the best value, and will save you some shelf space to boot.
33 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2003
These films are incredible; all inclusive action, music, soul and thoughts of those of differed race,culture and age, whom have a rough journey to get to stardom. Thanks to faith the characters are able to be themselves, therefore, a choir is ensembled within the downhill juniour high. Nevertheless, it is not all happy smiles.There are moments of deepness.The film is dramatised by anti/climaxes and be ready to experience the unexpected! Whoopi Goldberg's presence in the film as Sister Mary Clarence entertains the audience with laughter and the chance to say: 'What the heck? I'm gonna sing my heart out till I drop!' During the entire movie, unsuspecting youth characters are introduced. They have been blessed with out standing voices, so that they will leave you in complete awe. Even in the credits they don't take a second to breathe!
I have come to a conclusion that if you like film that leave you speechless, energised and with a burning desire to sing, you will love these movies! Sister Act 1 and 2.
on December 10, 2007
These are great movies (I particularly like Sister Act 2 with Lauryn Hill) and I was thrilled to find they were released on DVD as a set!

For those not familiar with the movie, Whoopi plays Delores Van Cartier, a Las Vegas/Reno showgirl (can't remember which town) who witnesses a murder. The cop in charge of the investigation (Bill Nunn) puts her in protective custody (not sure of the term, sorry) at a convent. Delores's lifestyle clashes with the convent life, but she adapts somewhat, but she's a rebel against their strict rules. She is put in the choir, which is awful, and is elected the new choir director and the rest of part 1 revolves around that and her differences with the convent's reverend mother. Part 2, Whoopi is a Las Vegas headliner and is asked by the reverend mother to return, this time to St. Francis Academy in San Francisco as a music teacher. Lauryn Hill plays a conflicted student who wants to sing, but her mother really looks down on it and pulls her out of the choir. Part 2 is great for hearing Lauryn sing before she really hit it big a few years later with the Fugees.

I love the music in both of them, part 2 because of Lauryn Hill and Ron Johnson who worked a lot on the songs (he also played a student). I liked the music in part 1 where they took a lot of Motown classic and turned them into Christian songs, like "My Guy" to "My God".
on March 19, 2016
The movie is one of my all time favs. So much so, I wore out my first copy and needed to reorder. I wanted it when I was in the mood to watch it.

Unfortunately, I didn't watch this copy right away and it's SUCH a poor reproduction - A green and grey version - really?

Too late to return it. All I have to do is turn the screen down and listen to it... Until I get another copy... Lesson learned.
review image
on June 23, 2015
Surprisingly liked Sister Act 2 almost as much as SA 1. The first is hilarious as Whoopi, a Las Vegas singer, tries to fit in with the nuns so she can avoid being killed by mobsters. The music is delightful - old Motown and girl-songs done as church music. Her fellow nuns are a hoot - a true laugh out loud movie. In Sister Act 2 - Whoopi is "Back in the Habit" to save the school and try to teach music to some very street smart funny teens who have their own brand of music. The final competition scene is great.
VINE VOICEon March 10, 2014
I saw Sister Act back when it first came out in theaters when I was a kid. The movie is a classic. It is respectful enough of the religious theme without being outright blasphemous, while also being flippant enough with the religious theme, to make it funny. On top of that, I LOVE Whoopi Goldberg, so obviously it helps that she is starring in the movie. The sequel was also surprisingly good, and you get that thrown into this set for a bonus.

This set will make a good double feature for a date night. If you didn't see it when it came out in the 90's, have no fear, it holds up VERY well by today's standards. Some of the acting might seem a little hammy to you, and some of the technology elements are obviously dated to the early 1990s, but the vast majority of the movie isn't about popular culture or technology, so it has aged VERY well. Watch it, you'll be glad you did.

5 stars.
on March 2, 2014
Sister Act and Sister Act 2 have long been movies that I love. I've honestly seen these movies at least 100 times each in my life. So when they were released on Blu-Ray, I was very excited. Finally, these movies will... be on blu-ray. We all know these aren't the type of movies that require blu-ray level of quality, but it's nice to see them that way.

My only real complaint is the case. The set comes with the one blu-ray that has both Sister Act and Sister Act 2 on it (not a flip disc; they're both accessible from a menu). And it comes with two DVDs, one for each movie. The major problem for me is that, in the case, the two DVDs are stacked on top of each other. They couldn't spring for an actual three-disc case, so they just shoved everything into a two-disc case? Annoying. I bought some three-disc cases to replace the discs.
on November 20, 2014
Very funny family movie. Still funny after 20 years! But c'mon, a 'stunning state-of-the-art digital restoration'? This is one of the worst transfers I've ever seen. Except for the few exterior day shots, the image is grainy/noisy all over. I kept it because I like the movie and I think there will be no better transfer in the near future. Too bad the product description is misleading: 'a stunning state-of-the-art digital restoration'? Not even close!

4 stars for the movie, 1 star for the blu-ray transfer.
on August 25, 2014
I always feel so up-lifted after I watch these two movies and here they are in blu-ray (I think. I'm not a whiz at this technical stuff, but the picture was really good).

If you haven't seen the movies, they are funny and they have good music. It's one of those movies where the actors seem to be really enjoying their roles.