1,159 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars The pants seen 'round the world.
Published on January 21, 2002 by bookboarder

1.0 out of 5 stars The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
Published on June 18, 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars The pants seen 'round the world., January 21, 2002
With a new twist, this coming-of-age novel steals the genre for me. Ann Brashares takes us on a magical ride with the Traveling Pants and the best friends who comprise the sisterhood. Each girl experiences a different, new, aspect of life and their personality during their first summer apart in their lives. With each page, you will become closer to these girls, as they grow and begin to understand the world, and themselves.
The novel is brilliantly narrated, each girl developing a real human personality. These characters are not the 2-D characters often found in novels of this genre. Ann Brashares develops them so thoroughly, at least one of these girls rings incredibly true to my own adolescence.
Not only are they well-developed, and human, Brashares doesn't give them more wisdom than any other fifteen-year-olds would have. The characters un-annoyingly live their lives as real teenagers, and delve into human emotions that all women have experienced at some point.
If you are looking for a light read, with some underlying, and truly deeper characteristics, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is definitely one to invest in. Each girl will find her way into your heart, and possibly show you something you never knew was there.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, June 18, 2003
By A Customer
While overall, I thought this book was fine and possibly engaging for young women, I strongly think the 12 year old age guideline is too young, both for some of the contents of the plot and for the deeper and more meaningful aspects of what a girl could discover from the book. In other words, I thought the chararacters were interesting to an older teen aged girl, but 12 year olds are not teenagers. In fact, these characters are 15 and almost 16, all about to be juniors in high school. And those ages, I think, as a mother, are the appropriate ages for a girl to be reading this book. Not only is there mature sexual content and encounter (albeit, which one of the characters cannot handle), the characters themselves, and their metamorphises, what they go through that summer, what they learn about themselves, will be much more understandable and appropriate to a 14 or 15 or 16 year old, then to an impressionable 12 or 13 year old. I would liken it to reading Jane Eyre, or Little Women, before a girl is old enough to understand the levels, the deep meaning, the beauty of these books. Sure, girls of 11 and 12 are capable of reading these books, but it is the parents' jobs to say "not yet". I also am disturbed that none of the other reviewers that I read on line seem to understand that one of the characters is self-destructively manic depressive and that would be something ( in fact I would urge any mother who lets her daughter read this book) to discuss the behaviors with her daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest books I've Ever Read!!, October 28, 2001
Erica (Homewood, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This book is truly excellent. I first discvered the book from my friend who was reading it first. I asked to read it next. So what she decided to do was to letall of our friends pass it around and read it, and sign a page which was important to us. I read it in one day....twice!! I didn't do any homework, I just read the book. I read it twice. It was one of the best stories ever. 4 girls, all the same age as me-Carmen, Bridget, Lena and Tibby. All of there stories touched me, and I felt exalted when done reading it. The fact that I passed it on to my friend and she read it in a day too, says a lot about it. She never reads books in one day. This book was truly excellent, but I wouldn't recommend it for kids under 13. This book deals with true teenage problems, and doesn't depict teenagers as stupid or dumb, but does paint them as naive, but not in a condescending way. It also deals with them learning a lesson that they will remember for the rest of their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could they be magic., March 26, 2002
Denise Bentley "Kelsana" (The California Redwoods) - See all my reviews
Four close friends are brought together in a new and imaginative way when one girl purchases a pair of second hand jeans in a thrift shop. Imagine the surprise when each girl no matter what her size or shape fits perfectly in them and looks fantastic.
This is the first summer they will be spending apart from each other so to share in the wonders of these pants they decide to keep them for a week each and mail them on to the next girl. A confidence seems to permeate the pants leaving the wearer just a bit more attentive to her surroundings and the possibilities that lay ahead.
The trials and tribulations of growing up are presented in a wonderful light that makes this book a timely learning experience as well as a spectacular story. This is a Young Adult novel that gives credence to the feelings and expectations of teen girls everywhere. There are many lessons to be learned here and the author presents them in a manner that makes the reader feel a part of the story. Kelsana 3/26/02

4.0 out of 5 stars What I would give for pants and friends like this..., June 19, 2005
Shopping for a swimsuit is the ultimate fashion terror but jeans shopping is a close second. Ann Brashare's has cleverly tapped into the female psyche by creating a magical pair of thrift store jeans that look fabulous on four friends who are different sizes and body types. The four girls are separating for their summer activities and decide the jeans are a talisman of luck that they will share during the coming months.

Tibby is working at the fictional Wallman's (think Walmart) for the summer and working on her documentary. Lena is traveling to Greece to stay with her grandparents. Carmen's parents are divorced so she is off to South Carolina for what she hopes will be some personal time with her father. Bridget is an athlete who is attending a soccer camp in Baja California and missing her deceased mother.

Each girl keeps the pants for a week before they mail them off to next "sister." Things go wrong for all four girls but their letters and support for each other help them through their disappointments. It becomes a summer where the girls learn about themselves. The stories of Tibby and Carmen were very touching.

The magical pants are amazing but the book's success is due to junior high girls' yearnings to have a group of friends as kind, helpful and supportive. Hey, most folks would be happy with one dear friend like this. (Most of the girls I know like the 1st and third books the best.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sisterhood takes on a whole new meaning, August 7, 2002
Eileene Braxton (Graham, North Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
This book was quite a read. Being a teenager going into the novel, I was expecting a mushy, love infested story of fashion. Instead I read about seemingly real teenaged girls with very real problems. Lena, Tibby, Bridget, and Carmen each embark on a summer that's unlike any other. Beautiful Lena's off to Greece to reluctantly fall in love and cause havoc amongst the Greeks. Athletic Bridget is off to Baja to soccer camp, where she falls in love with a 20 something conselor, big no-no=big heartbreak. Tibby befriends a dying young girl who gives her insight on what life's all about. Carmen deals with her father's new family and a feeling that her Puerto Rican self is unworthy. despite being totally different, the girl's constantly write each other and share their most heart wrenching secrets. Their emotional turmoil is broken by a pair of jeans they, deem as magic. For some reason, the jeans make each girl who wears them feel like a queen. Though its just an issue of confidence and the aura projected by the jeans, you can't help but wonder if they really are magic. I didn't want to come to the last page of this book. Every female teen should at least read the back cover. Throughout the entire book, the reader is inspired by humorous quotes that foreshadow the trials and tribulations the character will face in that chapter. A highly recommended read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not appropriate for young girls- or older ones, December 12, 2004
Stephanie S. (Nottingham, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my 12 year old niece after reading several reviews, and decided I'd read it for myself first after reading one of the rules- never let a boy take off the pants, although you may take them off in his presence. I found this book to have too many sexual references for a girl any younger than 14, and even then I don't think I would want my daughter reading it. One of the girls decided to persue her much older soccer coach, for example. The lessons of friendship and self-esteem are great, but there were too many inappropriate references for a young girl, and by the time they were old enough, say 14 or 15, the book would no longer be interesting to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, fun, exciting, romantic, sad, funny, beautiful!!!!, December 31, 2001
"auto_spa" (Mercer Island, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This is the story of best friends Lena, Carmen, Bridget, and Tibby. Just before their first summer apart, they discover the Pants. The Pants are magical in many ways. The girls decide to trade them throughout the summer, so in a way they can still be together. This book covers the beautiful, exciting, confusing, romantic, and sad happenings on each girl's vacation and her time with the Pants.
I was in love with this book right away. At first, the characters seemed... different. Like Lena, she's not a people person. Neither is Tibby. But after 3 or 4 chapters, I was glued to the girls. I felt like they were my best friends. I was really excited to know what happened next in their stories. Anyway, this would be a great book for anyone between the age of 12 to 16. It's wonderful. The book was very well- written in my opinion, and taught a LOT of lessons about life, without being annoying at all! I think the best and most important one was, embrace life, and tell it that you love it, and enjoy it while it lasts.

4.0 out of 5 stars From an English major/student teacher perspective, November 5, 2001
Kyla (Blacksburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This is the story of four girls who have been bonded together since their mothers were in a pregnancy aerobics class sixteen years before. The book tells of the first summer when all the girls are going to be separated. For several years before Carmen, Tibby, Lena, and Bee were always together. This summer was going to be different. Lena went to Greece to visit her grandparents. Carmen was going to South Carolina to be with her father. Bee was headed for a sports camp in Baja. Tibby was left at home to work a minimum wage job at her local Wallman's drug store. The story begins with all of them preparing to leave for the summer. Everyone can tell that Tibby is upset especially because she will be the only one at home. So Tibby grabs a pair of jeans out of Carmen's closet and decides that they will make her feel better. Everyone ends up trying on the pants and a miraculous thing happens. The Pants fit all of them even with their varying shapes and sizes. To top that off they don't just fit they fit everyone so well that it makes them look sexy. They decide then and there that they will all share the pants for the summer. It will be the thing that connects them all. They make a list of rules about the pants. (Which are extremely hilarious). Then they go off on their own separate journeys.
This book deals with several appropriate teenage topics like love, death, and non-traditional families. I think it is very appropriate for ages twelve and up. I would not teach this book to the whole class but I do think that I would keep it on a shelf in the room for free reading time. The problems I had with this book were the gaps in time. I wish it were set up more like short stories for each character rather than just randomly starting another paragraph about the other person. I loved the quotes throughout the book although at some times they seem incredibly random. I especially enjoyed the stories about Tibby and Bailey. Death is something that teenagers deal with everyday. I just wish that this plot could have been flushed out a little more. I also really enjoyed Bridget's story although you never really know what happened between her and the counselor. I needed more information. Overall I really enjoyed the book although it was a bit fluffy at times.

4.0 out of 5 stars My daughter really loved this book..., June 14, 2005
S. Mandarino (Avondale Estates, GA) - See all my reviews
...and I liked it, too. My pre-teenage daughter wanted to read it and see the movie, so I bought it after reading the Amazon reviews.

I was a little concerned that it might be too mature for her, but I liked that real-life issues are treated realistically and seriously. Eleven or twelve is probably not too young to start thinking about any of the situations that these four encounter, because it won't be long before they, too, may be faced with some of these issues.

The characters have distinct and well-written personalities, and they speak and act like real teenagers. Each has her share of problems and each (eventually) grows (at least somewhat) to meet those challenges. In the book, as in life, not all problems are neatly resolved by the end of the summer. But the book is filled with warmth and the joy of their friendship.

If you are afraid (as I was) that this book might be a junior version of the ((shudder))Ya-Ya Sisterhood or the Red Hat Club, fear not. This book is better written, more compelling, and just plain more likeable.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood of Traveling Pants, Book 1)
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood of Traveling Pants, Book 1) by Ann Brashares (Mass Market Paperback - April 26, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01