4.0 out of 5 stars How wonderful it is to be a big sister
[This review also appears on Andi's Kids Books.]

Published on May 13, 2012 by Andrea Coventry

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet book, but only illustrates bottle feeding.
Published 17 months ago by mme riche

4.0 out of 5 stars How wonderful it is to be a big sister, May 13, 2012
This review is from: Big Sisters Are the Best (Fiction Picture Books) (Hardcover)
[This review also appears on Andi's Kids Books.]

In Big Sisters Are the Best by Fran Manushkin, the little girl telling the story has a new baby in her family. She explains the differences between being a baby and being the big sister and how she can be a helper to her parents. For young children who are about to become the older sister, these are important points to understand. Some of the help that the big sister offers is playing quiet board games or doing gymnastics outside so that they baby can sleep. It's hard when Mom and Dad are busy with the baby, but she has her own baby doll for which she can care. When the baby is settled, she can still have some of that quality one-on-one time with her parents. She looks forward to when her baby is older and can also play with her.

I like that this book gently acknowledges that sometimes it can be hard for the big sister when her parents have to spend time with the baby, instead. Even though she knows they had to do the same for her when she was a baby, it is still a big change. I like that she offers advice on ways that a big sister can help. I also like the subtle reminder to parents that it is important to make some special time for that older child. So many times it is easy to get caught up in the baby's immediate needs that you forget the older sibling needs a little TLC, as well.

Because the characters have no name, it is easier for the reader to imagine herself in the situation of having a new baby. The illustrations make the baby look like a boy, but no reference to the baby's sex is made. Again, that makes it a more relatable story for the reader.

The story is short and sweet. The illustrations are darling. This is a book that families can enjoy with their children again and again.

I received a preview set of galleys from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet book, but only illustrates bottle feeding., February 26, 2013
This is an uplifting and fun book, that will surely make many new big sisters smile. That being said, not every big sister sleeps in a big girl bed yet, and not every baby drinks milk from bottles. My "big sis" is still in her crib, and I breastfeed exclusively. The bed thing isn't that big of a deal, as it isn't hard to just say "you'll be in your big girl bed soon!". As for the bottle feeding, that can be explained too, but it would be so nice to find a book that illustrates BOTH bottle and breastfeeding babies, to include a broader audience. This isn't a knock on bottle feeding, btw. Just a heads-up to other exclusively breastfeeding mamas that there is absolutely no representation of it in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Sisters - Truly - Are the Best, February 16, 2012
Bringing a new baby into the home is a time of smiles and smells, hugs and kisses. Author Fran Manushkin celebrates this special milestone with a sweet story that shows that there is plenty of love for everyone, big sister and all.

This cute little story can help an older sibling understand her role when a new brother or sister arrives home. Narrated by Big Sister in short, straight to the point sentences, she tells us what life is like with her new baby sibling. We learn the baby's needs, Big Sister's responsibilities with the baby, and her parents' role in both of their lives.

Big Sister also tells us the differences between herself and the baby. The baby sleeps in a crib, but she sleeps in a regular bed. The baby drinks from a bottle and she gets cupcakes. Big Sister knows there is enough love to go around and she will get her parent's attention. Until it is her turn for that undivided attention, Big Sister shows us what she does to occupy her time.

The little narrator is a happy child who clearly understands her role and the baby's needs. If I had this situation in my home, this would be a wonderful book to have. My daughter could learn the dos and don'ts of being the older child. The little narrator explains all of this with joy and big smiles. The illustrations are colorful and have a Charlie Brown feel to them with the large heads and small features.

This is a balanced view of the responsibilities and the joys of being a big sister. It also makes a point of telling us the love and attention from the parents has not changed. The only thing that has changed in this big sister's life is her family love, which has increased by one. If you have a little girl about to become a big sister, this is a good book to introduce her to life with baby.

Note: received from NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher.
Originally reviewed at KidLitReviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2-year-old loved this!, August 4, 2013
We purchased a couple of big sister/sibling books, and of the ones we did, this was was one of the favorites for our 2-year-old. Simple text and pictures that talk about what babies do and what big sisters can do.

2.0 out of 5 stars Breastfeeding doesn't exist in this book..., March 27, 2014
I bought this book to help my toddler daughter get used to the idea of becoming a big sister very soon. While there are plenty of good messages about being a big sister within this book, I was not impressed overall. My main beef with it is some of the family values do not match up to my own, and I felt that those differences would confuse my daughter. Case in point: "Little babies drink bottles. Big sisters eat cupcakes!" I plan on exclusively breastfeeding and figured its omission from this story would confuse my daughter, and I hate the line about cupcakes with my impressionable toddler. If you are a breastfeeding or co-sleeping family, don't bother with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cute story! My 6 year old loved it, May 30, 2013
I bought this for my 6 year old who became a big sister and she loved it! I thought it would be an easy read for her but I bought it anyway and although it is an easy read for her, the story is just too cute. She enjoyed it and all I wanted was for her to feel special and get used to the idea of becoming a big sister and this book definitely helped. I recommend the book to any age group under the age of 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable book!, June 27, 2013
Rhody (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 2 year old granddaughter. She loved it and asks for it to be read to her all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, May 31, 2013
With a new baby on the way a book just like this was needed. I did a bit of research to find a fun read that gave a light spin to the big ways in which life will be changing. This book has been perfect for starting the conversations that needed to happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a sweet book!, February 28, 2013
I bought this book for my daughter (7 yrs.)who just became a big sister for the first time. It is the sweetest story. I bought it really as a keepsake for her from her new baby sister. She loved how everything they mentioned in the story was just like her and her baby sister, she carried around all day and showed everyone who would look!

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Sisters ARE helpers, February 8, 2012
Ezinwanyi (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I choose this book because I have a newborn. I wanted something to let my kids know that the new baby won't change my love for them. I read this book on my Kindle Fire with my 4yr old daughter and my 2yr old son for a week. We loved the illustration, the theme, the rhyme and over all message. I was really pleased with their interaction during story time. The kids listened and commented on other things they do for the baby like bringing his rattle & toys or even singing to him. This book really conveyed their importance with the new baby but also let them feel like they were the "boss". My daughter loved it because she said the book was about her. I think she can relate and she enjoyed the feeling of being important. After reading it a few times, I can see it made her proud. She keeps saying "I'm the Best". The only thing was that my son keeps asking me "am I a helper too?" To which I replied of course honey. Then he asks me "where's my book?" I think I need the Big Brothers are the Best book for him.

What a great book for families with kids and are about to have newborn babies. Recommended for families with kids ages 2-6 years old.

**E-book was provided by NetGalley**

Big Sisters Are the Best (Fiction Picture Books)
Big Sisters Are the Best (Fiction Picture Books) by Fran Manushkin (Hardcover - January 1, 2012)
$6.95 $6.26