Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Shop Now PlasmaCar

Format: PaperbackChange

on August 26, 2014
I love how this book went well with "Smile". Raina is one of my favorite writers. I would recommend and Raina's other book "Drama". I hope Raina writes more books for the series!
on September 13, 2014
Sisters by Raina Telgemeier

Summary (208 pages): In this follow-up to her highly acclaimed graphic novel Smile, Raina Telgemeier tells the story of her relationship with her younger sister, Amara. The main story is of a road trip 13-year-old Raina takes from California to Colorado with her mother, Amara, and their younger brother. In flashbacks, we see a much younger Raina wishing for a sister, then experiencing disappointment with the reality of a baby, then a toddler. There are other difficult family situations for Raina to deal with, including her father’s extended job loss and her parents’ possible separation, but in the end, the family ties remain strong.

Pros: Raina Telgemeier is probably my favorite graphic novelist. Her artwork is just right for elementary kids, and the stories are engaging and positive. This would be a good book to give a reluctant girl reader.

Cons: This didn’t have quite the upbeat ending I enjoyed in Smile. It is a graphic novel, so it will be a quick read for many kids.
on June 13, 2015
I really enjoyed "Smile" and "Drama" and figured I should finish out the three books and just read "Sisters" now rather than holding off.

In this installment Raina remembers when her sister was born and how they came to be less than the fights and more of family. They also deal with an awkward cross-state trip where they learn their parents are having marital problems.

Personally I felt this book didn't really hold up to "Smile"'s success. I found myself skimming some of the passages simply because they weren't nearly as interesting. Instead of it containing some relatable stories surrounding a middle schooler growing up, it was more like one long anecdote on the relationship of sisters.

While I could respect what the author was conveying, I really struggled with interest throughout the entire thing. There was no resolution to the story with the parents (understandable but still). Also the story didn't really have a plot other than a general snapshot of family. It bothered me a bit and I found myself flipping forward to see if anything interesting actually happened.

Frankly I'd recommend it for huge fans of "Smile" and Raina Telgemeier but otherwise I'd skip it.

2.5 Stars
Published by GRAPHIX
August 26, 2014
200 Pages
Provided by--the Library
on August 26, 2014
Raina’s a young lady who badly wants a sister. Once she gets one, things aren’t as she had imagined they would be. Her little sister, Amara, is a grouch who doesn’t easily flow into family activities. Then a little brother also arrives. Car trips, vacations, and everyday living puts a strain on everyone, including the parents.

Although I really liked this, I didn’t think it was as meatier and layered as the author’s previous works. There are important scenes and lessons, but most elements seemed very basic. I enjoyed Smile and Drama more than I did this. Still, I rate this four stars. I read this via NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher.
on September 21, 2014
Carefully balancing the present and the past Raina unveils her family's drama after her wish for a baby sister comes true. The present day takes mom, Raina, younger sister Amara and baby brother Will on a road trip from San Francisco to Colorado for a family reunion. The carefully placed flashbacks give the reader more background on the family's dynamics. Luckily for the reader, no matter where we're at on the timeline the humor shines through in the writing and majorly expressive illustrations. The writing is very much "To tell that story, I have to tell this story" commonly used by comedians and translates brilliantly in graphic form with each scene interweaving into a new one.

Juggling the family living space, the desire for pets, family issues and more Raina tackles relevant topics and makes the accessible to middle grade readers. The moral of the story is something all ages could take away from the novel while the big question sets up a possible focus for a third novel.

Why I'll be reading Smile and heart Raina:

I saw Raina on a graphic novel panel at BEA/BookCon back in May and was blown away. I haven't read Smile but I immediately saw her impact on young readers as we were waiting to start. Several young girls approached her for photos and signatures. She did them one better and pulled out ARCs from her bag.

I haven't read Smile but I plan to pronto! I will also be gifting these novels to any middle grade readers I know. Sisters is heartfelt and I giggled long after closing the book. The nostalgia of being a big sister was enough to be like "yup!" that's my relationship with my sister. I hope you read it and enjoy it as much as I did.

*Advanced copy provided by the publisher. Opinions are my own.
on August 28, 2014
'Sisters (Smile #2)' is a sequel, but I didn't realize that until I looked at the entry on Goodreads. That means it works fine as a standalone graphic novel. It's written for younger readers, but the timeframe works as a memoir for older readers as well.

Raina and her younger sister Amara don't get along. They are quite different. This isn't what Raina envisioned when she begged her parents for a sister. This volume takes place during a road trip to a family reunion with the two girls, their mom and little brother. There are mishaps on the road and the usual fights that occur when siblings are stuck in close quarters together. There are also flashbacks showing the request and arrival of Amara and a younger brother, the ways that Amara is annoying, and a humorous set of flashbacks about shortlived pets. Things are not all rosy as Raina's mom and dad seem to be vacationing apart and Raina learns that she and her favorite cousin have grown apart.

The art is great and the story is too. It's handled with lots of humor, but the hard parts of life are also here. I would have no hesitation recommending this to a younger reader. Especially one with a troublesome younger sibling.

I received a review copy of this graphic novel from Scholastic Graphix and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for allowing me to review this graphic novel.
on October 9, 2014
One of the most popular books in my middle school library, Smile, now has a sequel. Sisters by Raina Telgemeler is an autobiographical graphic novel about the rocky relationship between two sisters.

The plot, which takes place in the late 1980s and early 1990s, relies heavily on flashbacks. The flashbacks give needed insight into the author’s family life but may confuse younger readers. I am also expecting the questions, “What’s a Walkman?” and “Why didn’t her mom use an iPhone to call for help?” I enjoyed this story especially since I am a 80s child myself.

Numerous topics are covered in this story: annoying siblings, disappointments, pet drama, money problems, and possible divorce. Young readers will easily identify with the main character.

This graphic novel is a great addition to the upper elementary and middle school library. I’m glad I per-ordered it!
on August 27, 2014
I have always like the books and this one was great. It was a quick read and really great and fun to read before bed time
on August 25, 2014
I thought smile was better
but it was still really good
it has a good message
and in really hope she writes more books
on August 28, 2014