5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome contribution to Judaic Studies literature., March 28, 2002
This review is from: Sisters at Sinai (Hardcover)
Sisters At Sinai: New Tales Of Biblical Women by Jill Hammer (licensed clinical psychology and an ordained Conservative rabbi) is a collection of 24 fascinating, illuminating, and inspiring short stories based on the women of the Torah, and the men they shared their lives with. These original and engaging stories reveal a new look at Lilith and Eve, Sarah, Hagar, Rachel and Leah, Miriam, Lot's Wife, and many more. A unique, amazing anthology that reinterprets ancient parables in a new light, Sisters At Sinai is a welcome contribution to the growing library of Judaic literature and recommended supplemental reading for students of the Torah in general, and the role of women in Israelite history in particular.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book, November 22, 2001
"goljerp" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sisters at Sinai (Hardcover)
I loved Sisters at Sinai. The book consists of 23 short stories with a wide range of themes. But these aren't just any short stories; these are Midrashim, tales which weave in and around the text of the Bible. With some, Hammer takes a well-known passage in the Bible (Lot's wife is turned into a pillar of salt) and brings it to life. Others take a passage which even close readers of the Bible have probably overlooked and turns it into a gripping narrative. While Hammer writes from a woman's perspective, both the men and the women in the stories are treated with respect and are three-dimensional. The notes section at the end of the book grounds this modern rethinking of Bible with traditional (and modern) Jewish thinking about the Bible. This is Hammer's first book, and I can't wait to see more from her fertile imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Re-readings, February 3, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Sisters at Sinai (Hardcover)
This is an amazing book, a must-read for all fans of Biblically-based fiction. Hammer's readings are wildly creative and revisionist but at the same time grounded in classical Jewish Biblical interpretation. Her background in Midrash gives this book a depth rarely seen in modern rewritings of Biblical stories. The stories work as stories, though - the Midrashic grounding is almost invisible unless you know the works she's quoting from. Her Biblical characters are compelling and memorable. If you are reading The Red Tent or Queenmaker, read this instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Midrash, March 27, 2008
Rita Sasso "Rita Sasso" (Panama, Rep. de Panama Panama) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sisters at Sinai: New Tales of Biblical Women (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book. Each story is carefuly crafted writing and very good reading. The Introduction and the Notes to the reader help give backround in Midrash for the unintiated and make the tales themselves more understandable.

Havdala was terrific. The concept of pale Eve meeting dark Lilith in the Garden of Eden on the eve of shabbat and discovering her "womanhood" transported me.

Reading Naamah was like chatting with and listening to the wise women who helped me through the rough times in my life.

The Daughters of Tzelafchad reminded me that we each have to claim our share of worldy goods but we must be wise about how we do it.

It had never occured to me to see Queen Vashti as another victim. The story opened my eyes to looking at things in a new way.

If Jill Hammer wrote the book as a teaching tool it worked with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, February 28, 2009
Sisters At Sinai: New Tales Of Biblical Women
All the midrashim written in this book are just lovely, amazing, extraordinary. I enjoyed very much reading this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it., December 1, 2013
This review is from: Sisters at Sinai: New Tales of Biblical Women (Paperback)
Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down! Enjoyed it even though it wasn't exactly what I had expected when I purchased it. I'm not even sure what it was I had expected but I'm mighty glad I did decide to buy it. I do reread it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, September 25, 2013
This review is from: Sisters at Sinai: New Tales of Biblical Women (Paperback)
Vivid details, educational, creative, magical- the characters and time period are brought to life.
Inspired me to delve further into the Torah. A truly excellent contribution to humanity's Torah studies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift Idea - These are Great Stories, February 22, 2011
This review is from: Sisters at Sinai: New Tales of Biblical Women (Paperback)
These are fantastic stories, brilliantly and intricately interwoven with classical midrash - traditional Jewish biblical interpretation - and independently engaging as well. Hammer also includes clear and engaging notes for each story, including the biblical texts on which each story builds and the thinking that led her to each story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative and entertaining, March 5, 2009
Tall Walker (Eureka Springs, AR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sisters at Sinai: New Tales of Biblical Women (Paperback)
Great story-telling requires the reader/listener to hear the "music" in the background; Hammer draws the reader into the story and invites a playful interchange with the tale...

Sisters at Sinai: New Tales of Biblical Women
Sisters at Sinai: New Tales of Biblical Women by Jill Hammer (Paperback - August 1, 2004)
$20.00 $18.00