5.0 out of 5 stars A necessary addition to your personal library
Published on April 25, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginning the Self-Recovery journey
Published on September 26, 2008 by A. D. H.

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessary addition to your personal library, April 25, 1999
By A Customer
I found Sisters of the Yam politically, spiritually and mentally satisfying in it's analysis of the forces that cause African-American Women to suffer depressive and other mentally draining conditions. Not only did bell hooks outline the conditions that cause these symptoms, but she offered solutions to overcome them as well. Sisters of the Yam is well worth reading if you are a sister trying to heal herself and move on with life rather than dwelling on past injustices.

5.0 out of 5 stars You NEED this book., December 12, 2012
You need this book to clarify and help to allieviate many of the issues Black Women face today. You need this book to encourage you to make the necessary changes in your life to heal and become whole. You need this book to identify some of the questions and concerns that you have while also providing answers to them. You need this book to contribute to your knowledge base. You need this book to assist you in this journey through White America as a strong, intelligent, black woman. You need this book because Bell Hooks is an genius and if you've ever read anything by her you know that she is an EXCELLENT resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sisters of the Yam renews the sister soul, December 19, 2000
This book has altered my thought process in ways I never thought possible. bell hooks has spoken with clear and simple words about black women and our individual and collective need to self-recover--from racism, sexism, of course--but also from our own (often) self-imposed 'isms carried from childhood. She's brutally honest in a book that sits unmoved from my bed-stand. A recommended read for black women. Period. Regardless of background and circumstance. A must read for those on the never-ending journey of self-introspection that eventually encourages self-recovery.

4.0 out of 5 stars intelligent, and worthwhile read, August 19, 1999
By A Customer
Sisters of the yam was a life savor...Although, Ms. Hooks presented a circumstantial presentation in the first two chapters, she eventually landed on track and was able to offer some sound advice on love, pain and the past...loved the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, August 25, 2010
This review is from: Sisters of the Yam: Black Women and Self-Recovery (South End Press Classics Series) (Paperback)
There are no words to express my gratitude to bell hooks for writing this book. This was one of the first books I've read where I felt it was my story. There's so much silence and suppression in the African-American community that has altered and distorted who are and in particular, women. However, bell does not park at the problem in the book. She offers solutions. One of my favorite lines in her book is that "we recover ourselves in the act and art of loving". This may seem abstract and not tangible as a to-do list but it's just the truth. This is the sweet spot and the bottom line. I would love to have been in one of the sister groups she highlights in the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Every Sista needs a copy, August 7, 2011
Anja "anjababy" (San Francisco, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book on amazon at the suggestion of one of my mentors. As a 25 year old young woman, this book has changed my life. Some of the topics bell brings up have challenged me to grow and take my place in todays society. As a young person and part of the "hip Hop generation" I have been affirmed that although it may be more popular to conform to the mindset of others, it does not affirm me and will not help me in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Read, October 20, 2012
This copy was a gift to my niece, but I teasure this book and the message it provides. It offers critical thoughts for Black women to reflect upon. It encourages the creation and caretaking of a well balanced life-mind, body and soul. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginning the Self-Recovery journey, September 26, 2008
I must admit that I read this book in bits and pieces over the course of a year. In retrospect, I would have to say that a lot of that has to do with the layout of ideas in the book. If I had to describe the nature in which it is laid out, I would say that it closely resembles a dissertation and that can make it a bit hard to stay the course in reading. Throughout the text, there were insertions of sources that could have used a footnote instead to help with the flow.

Outside of the layout, I would like to say that the subject was on point with what one can consider a start for self-recovery. I can appreciate the author's personal anecdotes which helped me feel like she does practice what she preaches.

This book does make the mark for being a part of one's personal library collection. Take the first to step to Self-Recovery by purchasing and reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for all Black Women, April 1, 2001
By A Customer
This book is truly inspiring. It is honest and forthright about the problems of black women the world over. It should be a recommended text for women's studies and certainly for young women today who have never experienced the pain of abuse. I found the experience of reading this book very inspiring, at times painful but always hopeful.

5.0 out of 5 stars hooks' writes with honesty and courage!, February 5, 2002
Angela D. Coker, Ph.D. (Vestavia Hills, AL United States) - See all my reviews
I loved this book. I think every African American woman should read this book at least once a year, as an annual celebration of self. hooks is reflective and honest. It is also a good reference for mental health therapists working with African American women.

$20.00 $18.00
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.