5.0 out of 5 stars So much wisdom in such a little book.
There are gems to be found on every single page. This book is about cultivating *mindfulness*. In its most distilled form, the best way I can describe it is being present in this, and only this, moment.

Published 8 months ago by Amy Y.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book for parents to read only
Published 7 months ago by eyedempotent

5.0 out of 5 stars So much wisdom in such a little book., December 18, 2013

"Being Present" is something people say alot but this book really infuses those two words with a vast amount of meaning and consequence. Those two words may very well be the secret to a joyful, productive, peaceful life. And I'm not saying this in my billowy skirt as I kick off my birkenstocks in the grass under a tree on a hill. No, I live one of those hamster-wheel kind of lives that I am desperately trying to make work for myself while balancing my own sanity with the needs and wants of two young and ambitious daughters and a hardworking husband.

This book is full of great exercises. The exercises are geared for a variety of ages and needs and can be adapted to fit your situation. Much of it is about finding a way to not just be quiet, but to experience quiet- turn the brain/mind on mute for a little bit. We are constantly processing, judging, deciding, chiding, wanting, ad infinitum... in these brains of ours. These exercises are designed to shut the computer down, reboot and leave a little silence for something new to enter, space for peace. And I think even the calmest, most well-adjusted, yogified among us can always use a little bit less stress, a little more peace, a little more awareness, a little more joy.

For me, I think this little guide is the key.

My daughters perform in a semi-professional chorus and rehearse several days a week. With traffic we spend two hours in the car on chorus days. When the fighting started, I popped on one of the audio exercises and LO AND BEHOLD... we had a really great drive that wasn't all about what so-and-so at school did or why someone is a such-and-such. I have great kids- this helps bring that greatness out even when they are trying SO hard to hide it. :)

Okay, some nuts and bolts... what does this little book cover?
What is mindfulness?
Parenting with mindfulness(lead by example).
Breathing is everything. Attention is tied to breathing.
Paying attention is a skill that must be practiced.
Being in your head versus being in your body. Paying attention to your physical self instead of buzzing around in your head.
The weather inside us and dealing with 'storms'. Feelings are okay- kind of like the weather, sunny or rainy, it is what it is.
Worries! (My favorite) How to handle the 'conveyor belt' of worries that seems to be constantly on.
Kindness and the grander scheme of things. Practicing at being kind.
Patience, trust and letting go... but really, how to actualize what is truly important to us and letting the other crud go.

Take all that above and insert "and how to help your child with these things" AND "how to observe how you currently deal and be mindful enough to alter that" and I think that about covers it.

I love that the author says that you can't stop the waves in the ocean. Yeah, baby! That's life, right? And this isn't just a book of trite sayings like "if life hands you lemons..."- not that there is anything wrong with being optimistic, it is just a matter of the fact that not everyone intuitively knows how to turn everything into lemonade. I can personally attest it is difficult to turn dog crap into lemonade and your family will never forgive you if you try to do it in the kitchen. (Um, just kidding) My point is this book gives some good tools- ways to think differently, how to approach problems, exercises that are meant to change the way your brain looks at, sees, judges things.

If nothing else, you'll get a bit of piece as your children attempt to be like the frogs. I'm gonna bet you get a whole lot more.

I plan to update in a few weeks as we continue to work the exercises. Still like frog I want to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book for parents to help children deal with anxiety, frustration or other issues!, December 5, 2013
This review is from: Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents) (Paperback)
This book was written to help parents with simple exercises that will teach their children a way to clear anxiety and just overthinking. But I loved the idea and bought it for myself. It comes with a CD that nicely guides you through each exercise. The writing is a discussion/explanation for parents, it is not written for children.

Mindfulness or awareness of the present is something I never learned as a child, but how incredibly useful to understand that you can change the way emotional responses control us just through awareness. While it is very individual, techniques of mindfulness can be so helpful and even have long term benefits on health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little read, December 11, 2013
I am loving this book so far. I work with children who have severe emotional and behavioral issues, as well as ADHD. I have been using mindfulness exercises all school year and have noticed a great change with the kids. Sitting Still Like A Frog has been a great addition to my reading. The CD included is great as well. We have only listened to a couple of tracks, but the kids enjoy it. The CD is useful for both adults and kids, however the language fits well with the students, it is something they can relate to. This is just one of the practices I use to work with my students, but this book is a great compliment to my practice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book for parents to read only, January 22, 2014
eyedempotent (Aurora, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I've bought a few books like these to help my children. In all other cases the books themselves were short and used simple language that could engage children. I typically read the book out loud to my kids. I thought this book would be in the same category, it says "Mindfulness Exercises for Kids <and Their Parents>." Well, that's not the case. The book appears to be written strictly for an adult audience. I find that quite disappointing.

At least the exercises on the CD are helpful and are perfect for kids (my youngest is 5 and she gets it). But I was hoping to read from the book to my kids for more depth than just the exercises on the CD. The book will be helpful to me, and maybe then once I understand I can teach my kids. But I wanted to learn together with them.

If this were more clearly stated on the cover of the book and description I would have known what to expect and rated it accordingly. But in all honesty I wouldn't have bought it then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful for parent and child alike!, December 10, 2013
I have tried leading our 11 yo with Aspergers through meditation, but he would quickly grow restless. The CD with book is simply wonderful. Our son loves the calming voice and simple instructions. My wife, son and I all follow along. He had actually requested several times to sit down together. The book is wonderful for both parents new to mindfulness practices or refresher plus how to translate these abstract concepts for children. Whether special needs or not, this book and CD will benefit any child and parent!

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed reviews, March 24, 2014
I listened to the tape before introducing it to my class. My children got hung up on the fact that they said stupid twice. It is a word that I tell my children they cannot use, so to hear an adult say it in mindfulness, really upset them.

5.0 out of 5 stars So practical, December 18, 2013
This is the answer to my prayers. Been using this and the exercises are so helpful and practical....and fun. A great tool for working with your kids in a way that is helpful to them (and their parents!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying this book/CD with my 7 yr old, January 8, 2014
Very easy and helpful read and the CD is also helpful. I was able to download the CD to my iTunes/iPhone and utilize the techniques on the go. I have been trying to teach my 7 year old son breathing techniques and meditation for a few months and the "sitting frog" is working for him. I realize now that he needs baby steps like this before full-on meditation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting resource, but not what I was expecting, May 11, 2014
Based on the cover and information I expected this to be a kids friendly picture book. It was not. It is an explanation of how to do mindfulness exercises with your kids, but not something that you can read with or to them.

The CD was also just okay. I do a lot of guided meditations and was looking for something that would be more on a kid level as far as vocabulary, etc. This did not really deliver. It felt just like an adult meditation. And just in general felt like it was missing something.

Sad to say this is not something I will use on a regular basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book for young & old!, January 11, 2014
This book is wonderful for children and adults! So many wonderful ideas & exercises that can be done effortlessly and in a timely manner. The guided meditations on the CD are excellent also. I use them myself and, although for children (maybe 6 and up), I use them with my high school age students.

Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents)
$17.95 $11.35