Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Six Against the Stars (Omnibus: Book 1 & 2)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on July 19, 2011
With Six Against The Stars, Hunt tackles the sci-fi genre with a verve and relish that will grab you from the first page and carry you along like your ankle's been tied to a spaceship going into warp speed. I've read that this was originally published in 1999 on the old Rocket Reader system - flip its pages open, and you can see where Firefly got a lot of its inspiration from.

Hunt is one of the best novelists working in the field today and Six Against the Stars won't disappoint any reader wanting a fun holiday read or a quick gallop over a weekend. Brilliant, imaginative writing at its best.
on July 20, 2011
From space opera to fantasy. Stephen Hunt is an author much lauded for his fantasy works, so I was fascinated to see what an early science fiction novel written by him would look like. No surprise, them, that Six against the Stars is every bit as imaginative as his fantasy works. It's a bit like Iain M Banks crossed with Douglas Adams - a fun romp by a reluctant hero thrown into a cruel galaxy and made to try and save it. I won't reveal any more plot that that, as why spoil it for you? Brilliant stuff.
on December 26, 2011
Very entertaining tale that covers as much ground as several books combined. A cast of characters, aliens, robots and AI's that are very clearly defined and fleshed out. A real roller coaster of a ride that you never really anticipate whats coming next. Well written, excellent dialog, great pacing. A very fun, easy read, that's hard to put down.
on June 23, 2013
If you're looking for typical cutting edge Stephen Hunt sci-fi, this ain't it. This work edges the needle way into fantasy, and Hunt's unique and searing repartee drifts into over-posed, predictable and tired fairy tale dialogue. I gave it fifty pages, then gave up. Guess we'll have to wait for the next "Sliding Void" installment to get back to the best of Stephen Hunt and really, the most cutting-edge sci-fi characters, plot and action.
on July 11, 2012
I am reading Stephen Hunt's "Sliding Void" series, so I bought" Six Against the Stars (Omnibus: Book 1 & 2)" thinking I would like it. The plot becomes so convoluted in the first two chapters, I couldn't make the effort to keep going. Who's enemy and friend? Why do they want the "Bard", and how long do we have to wait to find out? The dive into a complicated plot is too fast without the (I think) necessary world building. Thus 2 stars against the Sliding Void's 4. Maybe if I were more motivated to keep reading, but I can't remember all the names...
on March 28, 2012
I'm going to begin by saying that I'm really glad I read this book. I do have a hard time rating it though. I feel bad about only giving it three stars, but I cant get myself to give it any more. Overall I felt is was just too average.

The characters are interesting, and likable, but they all sort of felt pretty flat to me. The book is easy to read, moves forward at a great pace, and is heavy on the action. The action scenes aren't especially good, but they are probably about right for something light weight like this. The plot doesn't stand out in any way, but it works really well with the type of book this is. There were way too many references to actors from the 20th century, and that really started to get on my nerves.

One thing about this novel really did stand out for me though, and that was the setting. The universe is crammed full of your standard Hollywood sci-fi sort of things. If you watch a lot of shows like Star Trek, Stargate, Babylon 5, Andromeda, or any other sci-fi TV series really, then you have already seen everything Six Against the Stars' setting has to offer. The author has manged to take all that stuff and arrange so well that It all feels fresh again though. Its not all just tacked on here. Its also integrated really well into the plot. When a plot is integrated so much into this type of setting it usually comes across as being rather obnoxious to me. It felt really natural in this story though. Being shown that generic can still be awesome is why I'm really glad I read this novel.
on March 19, 2013
It was not a bad series, even if it was a bit short. It had a good pace going for it but it seemed like there should have been more to the books to help flush out the world and everything going on in it.
on June 3, 2013
This is the 4th Stephen Hunt book I have read. It is as fun and clever as the the first 3 (from the Sliding Void series.)