This book has been the singularly most helpful piece of literature on the business of music that I have ever read (and believe me, I have read A LOT.

If you're anything like me (an innate researcher who, when determined to do something, reads every book on the subject) you've probably become a little jaded by the massive amount of un-helpful information targeted to musicians. I can't tell you how many books I have thrown across the room in disgust when it became clear that a) the author had no idea what they were talking about and were stuck in a business model that died pretty much 20 years ago or b) the book was really more like a guide to make some money from your music hobby rather than how to create a passion driven career.

Thankfully, this book is up to date in it's understanding of how the industry works, and offers many timeless tips that will continue to be effective no matter what the next trend is.

It is also a guide on how to have a serious career in music that supports your goals. None of this namby pamby day job crap.

Everything that you need to know to get started is in this book: from how to manage your time and set achievable goals, to scripts to use on stage to promote yourself (as well as going into the psychology of why what works, works.) By the end of the book you'll have a better understanding of where your money will need to come from, how to make it, and how to re-invest it in yourself to make more.

More than that, though, most of the marketing ideas are creative, fun, and are focused on creating and maintaining quality relationships rather than blasting the unwitting public and your unsuspecting facebook followers with constant updates and show flyers.

If you are serious about making a career for yourself in the music business, then this book is an absolute necessity.
on June 14, 2013
This book is filled with practical ideas to help an artist engage with their fans. Whilst it is primarily written for musicians, as I read it I kept substituting the word musician for writer, painter, sculptor, comedian, visual artist and nearly all the ideas still worked.

There is a little bit of content on the discipline of being an artist - writing regularly, work life balance etc. And another section on finding your niche, but the focus of the book is marketing and fan engagement.

One reviewer says there is nothing really new in this book. Sure if you have been around for awhile many of the ideas may already be familiar to you. That may be the case, but everyday, based on the sample of bands I follow, I now see examples where they have missed the opportunity to better engage with me.

All throughout the book, the author discusses the finer details of engagement. For example, don't email your Michigan fans about your up-coming LA tour. So straightaway you get the tip that we need to collect more information from fans than just their email addresses - otherwise how to we know who lives in Michigan or LA. Plus we don't want to be spamming fans with information that isn't relevant to them.

The author provides good insight into the impact of digital piracy on your material and how you can leverage positively from it. There are great ideas for creating crowd engagement at gigs as well as scripts for promoting merchandise between sets.

The book doesn't read as a treatise on how to rip money off your fans at every juncture. It is written for an artist who is committed to their craft and wants to bring their fans along with them for the journey of their career. You need fans to support your career, this book helps you better engage with them and create value for them. In return fans support you financially (sales, merchandise) and by marketing you (spreading the word).

If you were starting a band and were serious this is the book to read.

I follow a number of new bands and solo artists and other than the odd Tweet or a Facebook update they are missing out on so many other ways they could engage with me as a fan and hence create a stronger following.

I highly recommend this book.
on February 12, 2013
I do merch for musicians so I see what works and what doesn't when it comes to selling music and t-shirts. If you are in a band that plays live shows and you are looking to sell more merch at gigs, you will love this book. It is full of great ideas about how to package things, set pricing and get people in and out quickly so you make the most money.

If the only direction you are giving the person who sells your merch is "stand at this table and sell stuff" or you think that is all there is to it, you should buy this book! It is the training manual you are looking for.

By the way, there is more to this book than just selling merch but since that is what I do, I am focusing my review on that aspect of the book. The book also talks about getting more people to your shows, how to get record labels interested in you and a lot more.

I think the scripts to say between songs are helpful, especially to musicians who hate to sell from the stage. They will get you going in the right direction. I also like his ideas on how to create new products you can sell and also his thoughts on limited edition products.

Overall, it's an inspiring book that will help you make more money with your music. Get it.
on June 9, 2014
I downloaded the free copy of this book, and soon also bought the hard copy and audiobook format, and further... I tell almost every musician I care about to download it and read it. I'm a big fan of this book and have gone back to it over the past year many times for inspiration, reminders of my decision to go full time in music, and techniques for us modern day musicians.

I read the book about 11 months ago for the first time, at that time, i was a kind of a washed up regional has been in music. Though I had at one time done well in my region and some good publishing, development deals, TV/FILM, I had given up on the idea of music once again being the center of my life and my income. My albums no longer sold :) , my digital download profits were laughable, and I just saw no way to make a living in music any more. I had even given up on any public promotion of my music, I just usually sent my new songs in an email chain to a few friends and that was my release. And I had tried all the dishonest practices of buying plays and followers.. nothing had worked.

The spark that was ignited in my career was set off by this book (11 months ago), and in that time, I have almost achieved a full time music career, have had a dream album funded by investors, been asked to host several music podcasts, been a guest on radio and podcasts, and have two albums coming out this year, and also have started a concert series in my area, cowriting, and producing other artist..the list goes on.

I can't say enough about this book... it really has changed my musical life. The title I think is purposely deceptive, because for me at least , the book didn't have a lot to do with money.. but more about my heart and integrity as a musician, but money comes when those things are in order.

five stars..
on February 5, 2013
This book was well written and very informative. It's a must have for Indie musicians, especially those whom are new in the music industry. Hooper shares and explaines the importance of taking care your fans as well as different tactics or strategies to gain more. Thank You for all the fine details and the time spent in your informative book. Although I could have use a few more tactics, overall good job.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 4, 2013
This book is fantastic! No wasted words. Total empowerment for musicians and anyone with a vision/mission. I have sunk a lot of money and time over the years in an attempt to free my mind of the self limiting beliefs that cling to my subconscious. as I read this book, I can feel the lies and illusions dissolve away. Bravo David, for your ability to effectively wield the "real" power of the word.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 10, 2013
This is a great book full of all kinds of encouraging, inspiring, and informative words. I would recommend any gigging musician, or musician that wants to be out gigging/making money off of their music pick this up. Don't wait. Do it now!
on February 6, 2013
I just wanted to say, thanks so much to David, for giving me this book. It has already changed my attitude toward music. Instead of worrying about what other people think, I'm just going to write, record, and release as many new songs as possible. I believe my live show will be much better also, because of Davids' book. He said, your shows are not about you, they are about the audience. I have a whole new outlook on music. Thanks David!
on November 19, 2013
I am an international House/Dance recording artist that will soon be releasing my very first music project independently ([...] I can't say enough about how great this book is!!!! I have raved about it to my friends who are now reading it and loving it as well. Not only does David provide great insight on marketing and getting people out to your shows (I'll definitely be trying lots of what is in the book!!!!), but I was so surprised to see how encouraging and inspirational the book is! As an indie artist that has worked with pretty established artists, and gold and platinum producers who prefer to work only with artists that they think will have mainstream appeal, it as very refreshing to have someone encouraging you to be your best, authentic you - - and believe you'll succeed at it!. Another thing I loved is how there were many non-mainstream as well as non-music examples of success after some major failures, encouraging you to keep trying. I could go on and on, but then there would be no need for you to buy the book, so I'll stop right here and simply say that this book is WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you David Hooper!!!
on February 5, 2013
Fantastic book. Full of great knowledge for people trying to break into the music industry at any level. I highly recommend it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...