5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and an inspiration
Over winter break, I read a book entitled Six Months in Sudan, by Dr. James Maskalyk. I am a Field Partner of Doctors without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres), and was introduced to this book via Dr. Maskalyk's blog on their site. I am grateful that I learned of it, and that I had the opportunity to read through the memoirs of this caring physician.

Six...
Published on February 6, 2010 by Tammie L. Nelson

1.0 out of 5 stars Did anyone actually read what he wrote?
I am astounded by the reviews here, did anyone who knows about these things actually read this?
The author has been very open about his attitudes, but they are at times not very heroic to say the least, being proud not comforting the mother of a dead child you have just stabbing with IV lines.. lying to the new cook.. looking down on colleagues who sought out some...
Published on April 21, 2012 by kiore

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and an inspiration, February 6, 2010
Tammie L. Nelson (Greenwood, IN USA) - See all my reviews

Six Months in Sudan isn't a book written in a formal style with proper grammer and formatting throughout. Instead, it contains the honest memoirs of a Canadian emergency medicine physician who recorded his thoughts and experiences of serving in Sudan while they were still fresh and raw in his mind. It is a collection of memories, experiences, and emotions. He wrote while angry, depressed, anxious, and grieving. He discusses intimate moments and shocking injuries. He holds nothing back as he bares even his most private thoughts prior to his departure and during his term. He also discusses the isolation that he felt upon his return. This is, perhaps, the most honest book I've ever read.

It isn't a difficult read, and it is the kind of book that you don't want to put down once you've begun reading. If you're interested in medicine, public health, international affairs, or policy, you'll definitely appreciate this book. Even if you're not, you probably will. Beware, however, as this book is not edited for content that may make you realize that you take the comforts of your life for granted. It made me realize that I do so, and that the hardships I experience really are petty as compared to those of others throughout the world.

When you purchase Six Months in Sudan, Dr. Maskalyk donates a portion of the proceeds to Doctors without Borders and to a fund that will help students from Abyei, Sudan to access education, if the schools there are ever rebuilt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up Close Look at a Life Most of us Can't Imagine, June 27, 2009
Elizabeth Howell (Burlington, Vermont) - See all my reviews
Many thanks to Dr. Maskalyk for going to Sudan and for writing about it. This is a moving and troubling account of life without the many safety nets that hold us. Clean water, reliable electricity, access to medical care, more food than we need, education--these are all sorely lacking in Abyei. Dr. Maskalyk shares what he sees and experiences, and by omission, how troubling what he witnesses is to his soul. I couldn't put this book down and am so grateful for the opportunity to learn about a part of the world I knew very little about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, April 23, 2012
This review is from: Six Months in Sudan: A Young Doctor in a War-Torn Village (Hardcover)
I feel as though I have been waiting for this book my entire adult life. Maskalyk answered so many questions for me about what type of person can do this work and wether they remain untouched, intact afterwards. I liked that the author approaches his writting task responsibly knowing that people like myself will be reading it. I appreciate that he holds himself accountable in that manner. I love that he offers his reader a play by play view of what is happening and how he is or isn't dealing with it at the time. I love that he offers up and accepts the experience for what it is without too much analyzing. And above all, I love that it did affect him and that he took the time to humanize himself again and reflect upon his regrets so that he could share this experience. Beautifully writen, moving and unforgettable

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, September 26, 2009
This book took me on a daily basis to somewhere I could never visit, facing hardships and losses that would overwhelm me. But, he did so in an honest way that forced me ,in my comfortable existence, to face and embrace the daily struggles of those in Sudan.
Dr. James and his team, and some Sudanese patients felt like friends by the end of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Six Months in South Sudan is a tell-all account of what it is like to live and work in a humanitarian emergency, November 6, 2013
I enjoyed this story very much. Six Months in South Sudan is a tell-all account of what it is like to live and work in a humanitarian emergency. I found the book very riveting - I actually left it on a plane (ironically, on my way back from South Sudan) and re-bought the kindle version so I could finish it because I could not be left wondering how it would end! As a somewhat new aid worker myself, I could relate to this book and the situation, however I found it very informative about life in the field (providing an often sobering view of what it is really like) and the Abyei region and took with it many lessons that I myself can take to the field - as well as information about the South Sudan in general. Many thanks to Dr. Maskalyk for writing such a wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book in excellent condition but took longer than expected to arrive., July 29, 2013
Book in pristine condition. Written by Canadian volunteer with of his experiences as a doctor with Médecins san Frontières in Darfur. He gave a very engaging interview on CBC radio so purchased book for niece who has volunteered with NGO in Sudan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning & Beautifully written from the heart., June 4, 2013
If you love reading about real experiences in Africa, then you will enjoy this book. The author uses modern syntax, and it is written like a blog. As a medical person, myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The imagery is unbelievably real. Well done....

4.0 out of 5 stars Six Months in Sudan, March 17, 2014
Have you ever heard of Abyei? Probably not. I sure didn't before I read this book. It's in Sudan, and it's where the author spent six months as part of the Doctors Without Borders program (MSF).

After completing residency, Maskalyk signs up for a stint in the MSF. He is taken to Sudan, to the village of Abyei which houses many soldiers and civilians and plenty of people needing medical attention. The hospital is small, but large enough to take traumas and between the diseases that run rampant in the area and the skirmishes with grenades, there is always someone to be healed.

Maskalyk is pretty rough on himself. And others at times, although it seems he has nothing but respect for his colleagues. In fact, he speaks better of them than he does himself. He seems to acknowledge that he has a detachment from his work and the pain and suffering around him. That he can't help but think of logical things even if a person has died. And it does seem cold. But it can also be a coping mechanism for everything that he has to see. I did find his honesty refreshing though and I wouldn't paint him a hero because of his thoughts, but do think that he did some good work while in Sudan.

This is a hard book to read because of the descriptions of suffering and illness and poverty. Because it's real life it shakes you to find out how people are living when sometimes the worse thing in your day is spilling your drink on yourself. It does offer perspective. And I like how he focused on being a new aid worker as most of the books I've read are from people who have been in a long time. The writing itself was good, although I found the epilogue disorienting. I understand he was showing his confusion at being home through that writing style, but I just found it hard to read. Otherwise the format was good and the rest of the book flowed easy enough.

Do I want to go to Sudan? Probably not. But I'm still thinking that this line of work is appealing and I'll continue to read about it. I'm glad I found this book to offer another perspective.

Six Months in Sudan