Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 3, 2010 8:27:32 PM PDT
Bobsacto says:
I am the only one who is going to drop the NY Times subscription when the new rate starts. I love reading The Times every day but $20 a month is too much for the non-graphic Kindle version. Maybe I could justify that price on a device that better replicated the print edition. If my Kindle dies maybe I will look at something like an iPad.

Posted on Apr 4, 2010 9:52:31 PM PDT
M. Lewis says:
This price kills any possibility of my subscribing to it on kindle. The NY Times is killing itself with its $2 daily price of print edition.

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 9:09:12 PM PDT
I agree, it is far too expensive, especially considering that the kindle version is short of the print version. If it ever gets closer to $12 a month, I will subscribe.

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 7:12:35 AM PDT
I agree --- the New York Times is pricing itself out of the marketplace on the Kindle. I'm all in favor of publishers charging for content, but they have to be reasonable. This new charge is out of line.

Posted on Apr 10, 2010 4:06:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 10, 2010 4:06:19 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 7:26:08 AM PDT
the only way you can compete with the i pad is with lower pricing. with out that you are going under. all the media is pushing the i-pad and it will become the choice of america, because they are getting the support. a college is now offering it to all of their students. so keep raising your prices and you and the sony and the nook are done.

Posted on Apr 16, 2010 5:33:49 PM PDT
Lloyd. I don't think that Amazon is even close to being done. In fact I think they will remain up front out of all the e-book readers. The i-Brick is for a different crowd. The same people that have i-Phones will purchase the i-Brick, but not to read books. Ebook readers will continue to purchase the Kindle. Have you seen the i-Brick screen in sunlight? You can't read anything. Take the Kindle outside and it is just as clear as it is inside. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. They both fill a niche for a specific group of people. If you want to read your books on the i-Brick...best of luck to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2010 6:21:15 PM PDT
ALBERT says:
I've been subscribing to several newspapers including the NYT on Kindle since the very beginning. It's over 75:25 that I'll cancel when the IPAD inspired price increases kick in for me. I've hesitated to rely on Calibre to generate Kindle editions up to this point. It's not as convenient as whispernet downloads and ties up your computer for a while, especially when you figure out it's not much effort to get 5 different newspapers at a time. I'm also over 25 and believe I should be supporting the industry, paying something. However, a 40% price increase is hard to swallow when you can get virtually the same thing for free.

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 3:18:44 PM PDT
R. Tilton says:
I too will cancel when the price increase goes into effect. It just is not worth that price given its limitations.

Posted on May 6, 2010 2:06:50 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 10:49:46 PM PDT
I halted my paper subscription to the NY Times when it stopped delivering the paper to my porch. Now I will stop my Kindle subscription to the NY Times because of the unwarranted price increase. Sadly, the quality of the Times has been slipping over the years, and I'm sure I will be able to find a nice Kindled newspaper as a replacement and be completely happy. (Incidentally, I prefer to *not* read the morning paper on my iPad --- the Pad is for other things)

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 11:08:30 AM PDT
Layla Strohl says:
I too just cancelled my subscriptions to the Times. I am someone who believes in paying for services that I enjoy and use. However subscriptions, wether they be for magazines or newspaper, usually lock you into an annual rate. I have had the subscription for less than 9 months and I just recieved an email today notifying me of the rate increase effective tomorrow. A 43% increase today does not guarantee a locked in rate for tomorrow, whose to say in 6 months they won't increase it again. If the NYT and Amazon want to maintain a loyal customer base they should be honest and upfront about their subscription prices by securing annual contracts and rates. Not to mention that the kindle edition is in no way shape of form the equivalent to the print or online edition.

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 10:48:32 PM PDT
I canceled my print subscription today to get the kindle edition, especially with the two months free trial. Immediate problems with the Times. When I downloaded it and pressed the back to store, it immediately canceled my subscription. When I called customer service they said they couldnt do anything. Apparently, I started my subscription and cancelled it in the same minute, thanks to the Ipad and Ipod version I was able to get what I needed with the right graphs displayed. I sure wish customer service was a bit more customer friendly, people will start going elsewhere for their convenience when they perceive their business is not respected.

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 12:44:40 PM PST
I have had the Kindle/NYT for a year and two month. I intend to cancel it in a month's time and will seek other alternatives.This price increase is outrageous and totally unacceptable.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Apr 3, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about