4.0 out of 5 stars Useful resource for homeschooling
My oldest daughter is finishing fifth grade, and we have used The Core Knowledge books for every year up to this point. Because we are homeschooling, we feel that reading through these books gives us confidence that we are keeping up with what might be expected of a student of a particular grade.

Wanting to get a jump on the next level, my daughter read...
Published on April 28, 2009 by B. Bintrim

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
some good info if your new to homeschooling
Published 23 days ago by wendy

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful resource for homeschooling, April 28, 2009
This review is from: What Your Sixth Grader Needs to Know (Revised) (Core Knowledge Series) (Paperback)

Wanting to get a jump on the next level, my daughter read through What Your Sixth Grader Needs to Know over the past two weeks. You might want to be aware of some errors. In the math section on page 269, an addition problem is written with a minus sign, and the wrong answer is given in Step 2. At the top of page 271, we read, "In the following diagram line ZC is parallel to line TS, or line ZC is parallel to line TS." There is also an error in an illustration in the science section on page 328. Two cans of soda are pictured on scales with an earthly landscape behind each with a caption indicating that the can of soda would weigh less on the moon than it does on earth. We are missing a picture of a lighter can of soda with a moonscape behind it.

I don't think the editing of this book is any worse than what we find typically in educational material, and the series is useful; but perhaps they ought to hire kids to proofread.:)

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful book, March 22, 2008
I bought this book to prepare my child for Beestar online tests for sixth graders. Due to the vast differences among schools and teachers in teaching science and social studies, students often receive a rather unbalanced treatment of the subjects in their classroom. This book comes as a rescue of the situation. It tells you clearly what your child needs to know as a sixth grader. My child studied several important chapters from this book that somehow were never taught by his teachers. And yes the knowledge is essential and is needed in state standardized tests.

I highly recommend this book for aiding in the preparation for any general knowledge test. It takes you all the way through iambic pentameter to Benito Juarez. The math and science sections are wonderful as well. It provides very complex information in a very user-friendly manner. I'm very glad that we had this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series!, July 24, 2009
I have been homeschooling my youngest since he was in 3rd grade. Every year I use this series as part of our weekly curriculum. We take all school year to read through the book as we are in no rush. I don't depend on this book solely of course, but it is a great base to work from. I'm only sorry it doesn't extend through 8th grade.

5.0 out of 5 stars What your ... needs to know review, December 27, 2008
I've purchased our very first "What your Kindergartner needs to know" before our firstborn was five. Ever since then we had a copy for each grade of our three children. Nowadays, with limited communications, international schools not using enough books, I would feel very much left out if I didn't have my trusted copy. Parents, please be aware that you may have to supplement at home. Don't entrust your children completely to the school but be involved. It's easy enough to read the pages to the children or have the older ones read it for themselves (with guidance and feedback). A must have for every child's home!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Whether Your Child Is In A Core Knowledge School Or Not, April 16, 2008
This is an essential reference book if your child is a sixth grader in a school using Hirsch's "Core Knowledge" curriculum. An amazing amount of information is packed in to this book and is presented in an understandable and interesting way with helpful pictures (mostly in color in the visual art section) and maps and graphs as needed. All major sixth grade subjects are covered (with the exception of PE and foreign language). If your child's school doesn't follow core knowledge don't expect this to be a guide to what he is learning in sixth grade as it may be quite different. However it could still be an interesting supplemental book for your child since it is filled with information a well educated adult should know.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, June 22, 2009
S. Roberts (Central Louisiana) - See all my reviews
I am a fourth-grade teacher and bought this book to have an idea of what students do in sixth grade. This is a very helpful book, well written, and full of information. It is divided into sections for subject areas. As I read I thought that it would be a very good book for homeschooled children, too. I will keep it as a resource in my classroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for a 6th grade education, December 14, 2012
This series is a great guide to a year's worth of education for 6th graders. We homeschool and these books have helped a lot! I highly recommend to anyone needing guidance on a year's worth of lessons in every subject in one book. It also lists recommended additional reading/lessons. Use these books as a guide for every subject (english, math, history, science, art, music) and add a few workbooks like math and science to make school work easy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great study aid for teachers taking the PRAXIS, June 9, 2008
I got this book to help prepare for the PRAXIS test for Elementary Education Teachers. I have found the book to be very informative. I have heard it is very helpful for a study aid for the PRAXIS so hopefully it pays off for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, July 2, 2013
I love all of these books and they have been a go to source for planning out my year in homeschooling. They give a very well rounded version of what subjects should be covered and detailed lesson plan ideas. If only our public schools would teach all the subjects in these books to the depth that they are covered here.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Homeschool guide, September 11, 2012
I use the Core Knowledge Series "What Your _ Grader Needs to Know" as a guide along with my state's requirements for what my children need to learn to teach my kids each school year. It's a great starting point in what to teach for each subject. I have found it to be essential in our homeschool.

What Your Sixth Grader Needs to Know (Revised) (Core Knowledge Series)
What Your Sixth Grader Needs to Know (Revised) (Core Knowledge Series) by E. D. Hirsch Jr. (Paperback - June 26, 2007)
$18.00 $15.04