Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sizzix 656850 Vagabond Cutting/Embossing Machine, Inspired by Tim Holtz
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on June 19, 2011
This die cutting machine is worth every penny, after owning a Cuttlebug for the last year, and it did a fine job as long as you were willing to work and force and manipulate things to get it to work. I am a fairly serious card maker who loves the precision of die cuts. This machine allows me to love dies even more because it is now effortless. This machine is strong and fast and does a much better job of working with all my dies from many different manufactures. I wonder why I hesitated at all to buy this machine. It has a permanent location and is in the ready with my dies in a file (type) box just ready to be pulled out and used. I also started a sample file of every die shape I own so that I can see if that is the one that will work. I have always thought this would be a nice thing to have but the effort of doing it held me back till I got the Vagabond. Within two days the plastic cutting pads were scarred from stem to stern. I had put a months worth of cutting in two days on them, having a blast and loving the ease. It has never faultered and cuts everything more thoroughly and I have the ability to cut more variety of products. I love my Vagabond!!!!! If they are out on Amazon try Ellenhutson.com.
22 comments|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2012
I am now on my third machine. We have the perfect love hate relationship. The first machine that I had became jammed when I stupidly tried to push too much through. My fault - number one down. Bought the second one. Beautiful - Loved it and used it often. It was such a wonderful machine and realy allowed you to create some very beautiful cards and such. Recently and I went to cut one very simple item and all of a sudden it made a loud noise and stopped working. Have no idea what happened. It was/is less than a year old. Looked into the warrenty and quite frankly it isn't worth the paper it's printed on.A lot of "ifs". Shipping plus Aggravation are worth it to me to buy a new machine. I have invested so much time and expense I don't see another choice. Hopefully it will be my last. I will be exploring other machine options for the future.
22 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2012
I loved my Vagabond. It was wonderful. Due to my own mistake I jammed it up and could not get it unjammed. My husband call Sizzix and they were no help at all. They just said it couldn't be fixed. End of subject! I accept the blame for what happened but I think that for a machine of this price it should have some back up from Sizzix. I did not expect them to replace it only fix it at our cost if we shipped it back to them again at our cost. They just said no. My husband has a shop full of machines that have stops on them to prevent jams or serious injury. There is no reason that the Vagabond doesn't have that feature also. Because I am a serious card maker my husband has encouraged me to buy another one. Would I buy another one? No. Would I advise anyone to buy one? No. Not until Sizzix changes it's customer service policy and improves the design of the machine. I gave it three stars only because of the poor customer policy offered by Sizzix.
3434 comments|181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2011
LOVE this product!! Tim Holtz has come up with a wonderful sturdy yet easily portable product for dies and embossing! It accepts dies from other companies, so no need to reinvest just use your current dies and plates.
on October 19, 2013
A little poking around the web will reveal that the machine has a very high failure rate. Ours failed after a few dozen projects. Upon opening it up, we found that the motor to gear coupler had failed. After shipping the old one back to Sizzix, we can get a new one from them for a whole $5 less than a new one from Amazon. No thanks.

The case is very sturdy and the actual machine is built as a unit. An overload will kill the machine with a) a device on the circuit board, b) broken gear, c) stripped coupler. Only the first can be repaired. Manual gauges are their new method to protect the machine--but variation and the odds are against you, as you will eventually destroy it. The machine needs to be redesigned to protect itself.

Fatal flaw in the design--don't buy it.
on November 25, 2012
I just got mine out for the first time and it is broke. I had tried every combination of plates to cut a tree and nothing worked. But on my last attempt it shut down and I cannot get the die out. A $30.00 die is stuck in my 200.00 machine with no idea on how to get hem apart.
on November 16, 2012
Terrible experience with support. My machine I thought jammed. Come to find out the gears broke which caused it to quit feeding. They claim not under warranty because its used incorrectly. I called the items incorrectly but they were right items and they argue that I used another vendor product so it voids the warranty. If machine jams there is no way to unjammed and you won't get support from sizzix. Just arguments
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2012
The Vagabond cuts through heavy materials like Grungeboard, medium-weight chipboard and felt with ease. It does a great job embossing these materials as well. The powerful electronic motor is smooth, quiet and reasonably fast. Better yet, it totally resolves shoulder pain issues caused by cranking a manual die cutter for extended periods. However, I still love my Sizzix Big Shot and will continue to use it when away from home and/or power sources. The same sets of dies and accessories can be used for both machines. At a deadweight 14 pounds, the Vagabond isn't good for casual toting around. Bought mine last week with a 50% discount coupon emailed by one of the big box crafts stores.
77 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2013
I got my Vagabond about 18 months ago, and loved it. It was my first die-cut/embossing machine. I got a motorized one because of wrist issues and not wanting to have to crank a machine. It cuts paper, thin fabric, thin craft foam, leather, aluminum tape, cardstock, cardboard, all without complaining. Usually.

It works with the thick and the fairly-thin Sizzix & Tim Holtz dies using the pieces that come with it. If you want to use the extra-long dies, you need to buy extra clear plates that are that long. If you want to use any of the flat metal-frame-only dies, you need to buy an extra platform. If you want to use some of the Sizzix letterpress dies or certain embossing folders, you need a rubber mat and a different (black) plastic plate. These extras push the machine cost up a fair bit; don't buy them until they're on sale.

I took it on vacation last year. It's a heavy beastie, but it's compact, even though the plates are anything but. At least they're flat and fit in the bottom of the suitcase. But I forgot the power cord. Fortunately, it takes a standard computer power cord with a D-shaped end, and those are available at most electronics stores.

Last week, I had mine jam up while trying to use a flat metal embossing/letterpress plate. The stack of plates didn't jam until it was halfway through. The black plastic plate is half-curved, and ruined. I let the Vagabond cool down, and then I was able to un-jam it by putting the thing in reverse and rolling everything back out. However, something in there broke: it is now unable to accept a standard stack of plates + die. It was past its warranty period. Between that and the fact that what I *thought* was the correct stack of plates wasn't, the "repair or replace" option would cost a hundred and twenty-five + shipping. Shipping is about twenty-five because of the weight.

Even after spending all the money on the extra plates and stuff, I'm not sure I want to get another Vagabond. The fact that I keep hearing about them jamming is making me wonder how long the next one would last until I jammed it again. I'm considering a different brand that's motorized, yet has a kickback "no, that's too thick, take it back" feature. But that one's a newer machine (came out ~6 months ago) and may still have some kinks to be worked out.
on October 6, 2013
not my favorite toy...mine broke just like every one else's...it started out only cutting part of the image...this is very frustrating...now it doesn't work at all and is out of warranty...replaced it with a giant Big Shot...love it...